Summary: Great hotel for couples. A 5 star experience for Phuket. Prime location on a beautiful beach. Beach staff look after guests very well with chair and umbrella set-up, constant supply of water and a bar service. The long beach can get busy, nothing like Patong, but the area by the hotel was always less busy than the other areas. The water is extremely warm at 28 plus so we spent most of our time in it. Just try to avoid early May as the tide changes bring in litter from the open sea. The hotel does try to collect the litter but it is all over the cost of Phuket at this time. The half price cocktails until 8pm were very welcome as the hotel restaurant is priced at the high end. We enjoyed eating at both hotels but you can eat at less than half their prices in town.
This was our first trip to Thailand so we did not know what to expect. When we arrived at The Boathouse it was on a very busy small street which was not at all impressive but as soon as we walked into the lobby the hotel was quiet and the view opened up onto a beautiful blue sea. The hotel has a prime position on the south side of Kata Beach with 2 restaurants overlooking the water. The hotel is clean and well finished.
We did not spend much time in our room as the rest of the hotel was set up for beach, beach club and restaurant use. It worked out extremely well.
The rooms are not big but perfectly acceptable for couples. The room we stayed in on the 3rd floor had a shower but no bath, which worked out well as the sand and tan limited potential bath usage. The shower room/toilet en-suit is small but sufficient for its purpose. The only issues are that ours had a small amount of glass which could not be covered so you could see in if you wanted to.
Try to get a room over looking the Rekata restaurant and pool area. There is a room looking onto the beach if you want to take the Tsunami risk.
The spa is upmarket but pricey. You can get a 60 minute massage for 1500b whereas on the beach they come in as low as 250b. Obviously a totally different experience.
Do book the hotels taxi/shuttle from the airport. It is easy and there are standard rates for taxi trips in Phuket.
If you want a lunch with a view do try Villa Royale just up the hill. Expensive but the view from the terrace is amazing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boathouse Phuket, Thailand, has been an architectural and culinary landmark on Kata Beach since 1989. A favorite with discerning visitors, it appears on numerous lists of the world’s best small hotels. The Boathouse Wine & Grill has been distinguished with Wine Spectator Awards since 1995 and has been credited with the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 2006. New additions to the property include extended family suites, a 2-bedroom beachfront Penthouse suite and a rooftop Sunset Lounge. A beach club and spa and a chic boutique shop with a gourmet café. The fantastic beach location, personal friendly service, intimate atmosphere and stylish gourmet restaurant with one of the best wine cellars in Thailand make it the ideal location for beach, food and wine buffs. Weekend Thai cooking workshops from 10 am - 1 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Boathouse by Montara reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boathouse Hotel Kata Beach
- Mom Tris Boathouse Kata
- Mom Tris Boathouse Hotel Kata
- Boathouse By Montara Phuket/Kata Beach