“perfect for a "chilled out" relaxed week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palmery Resort And Spa

Save Saved
You added The Palmery Resort And Spa to your Saves list
The Palmery Resort And Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   82/20 Khoktanod Rd, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Kata Beach
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“perfect for a "chilled out" relaxed week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I loved it here. A few little hiccups but sorted out fairly painfully. Smiling and talking to talking to these beautiful people helps. They do have a bit to learn but considering the hotel is only 7 months old, they are not doing too bad. The room was awesome, 10 steps from bed straight into pool, couldn't have asked for better. Pool size great for a session in the gym followed by a few laps in pool. It was immaculate. A short walk to beach and shops wasn't a problem as I enjoyed the little bit of exercise. I actually asked about all the Chinese tour groups, was explained to me about being low season etc. No a problem at all. Would have been a little different if on my own. Sam the bar tender was great, we enjoyed our happy hour chats with him. The only negative I have was the breakfast. Food often ran out. Not enough fruit
Tea and coffee not good. Ate in restaurant a couple of nights, great but on our own in restaurant. If going back to this hotel, probably go different time of year when busier, better atmosphere. All in all, I loved it
If they would like any suggestions on how to make it even better, they can just ask me. This accommodation was just what I needed for my first 'chilled, week in Thailand

Room Tip: Requested upgrade to pool access. Definitely worth the little extra money
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed here a few days mid-August with a deluxe or superior room (Forgotten) that had pool access. From the outside, it gives a modern feel. The staff is very friendly & hospitable. Most of whom can communicate in basic english. I guess good enough to understand what you want to say. My room was impeccable. I had a king-size bed, personal couch, a bath tub/toilet that had only a glass window to separate it from the bed itself. The pool was awesome! It did not smell of chlorine & it was clean. The water wasn't too cold & you could swim til kingdom come as long as you don't create so much racket. The only downside is, the staff loves to gawk when you sunbathe in all your swimsuit glory. It gave an uncomfortable feel especially the room I was assigned in. It had pool access but it was facing the garden with a bar where guests could dine & a few meters away, you could see the street which was seldomly passed by vehicles & people. However, passersby on this street could see you & one or two would literally stop & enjoy the scene with you being the main subject. It's not a nice feeling. No privacy on this side for all rooms. So if you can, try not to book a room facing the garden with the bar. The only advantage to this is you don't have a room opposite yours with pool access too. That way, you don't have to share the "pool space" if you know what I mean. Guests who also end up chilling at the bar have you as something they can set their eyes on while having a drink or eating their meal. Definitely, not pleasant!!!

What I love about this place is that it is surrounded by a lot of eateries & simple shops. It is definitely cheaper to eat outside than at the resort (Which I tried but I'll get to that later). There are also mini-groceries that sell all your toiletry needs (That's if those provided by the resort does not suit your needs). It is a 10 minute walk to the beach. It's not that far & if you walk further along, you'll discover more restaurants offering international cuisines, a line of massage parlors, boutiques & bars. It's quite safe to walk at night though I never tried going past 12am.

Mine came with a free buffet breakfast. Food was standard. Nothing so special but helps when you plan to be out & about the whole day. The dining area was a bit hot as sun can totally shine on certain areas (Pity you if the only available table had a spotlight on). There were the occasional annoying flies. I think management should do something about this. What a shame!

I took their airport transfer which was a bit steep price-wise. And for a price like that, you would expect a comfortable ride. Well, NOT totally. Car was ok. Driver was friendly. The airconditioning sucked! I was sweating a bit. I didn't have time to have a change in transport. Quite disappointing.

As for the rooms, some areas of it needed repair. Like in my room, the hook where you hang your towel or robe is totally loose & can turn 360 degrees. The shower drain would clog up slowly. I think management should check on this.

Room service was ok. There was just the challenging part of making them understand what you wanted to order. The menu was mostly western with some Thai food. A bit pricey though. However, the food was fantastic! I enjoyed eating my dinner by my own pool. The staff who serviced it was not at all that helpful. She either totally neglected my request of laying the food by the pool or just didn't understood what I wanted & instead placed it near the dresser.

Every place has its pros & cons. After that being said, I would definitely stay here again. It's a good place for family with kids, friends (Not too rowdy) & newly weds.

Room Tip: Try not to book rooms that (1) do not face the garden bar so diners & drinkers won't have yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Albury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in August in this new resort. We found the facilities in great order - gym equipment was all functioning, pools were sparkling, gardens are well-maintained. Overall, the staff could not have been more helpful. Our villa was delightful and usually very peaceful. The walk to the beach takes only about 9 min. maximum or if you want to be lazy there is a shuttle bus 6 times from 9am until 6pm. The Elements Spa is staffed by lovely people who make you feel very relaxed.
Location makes for easy access to many restaurants within a couple of minutes walk or you can access the main strip of Kata in a short stroll.

Room Tip: Use insect spray if you sit outside in the evenings.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Beautiful Resort , wonderful staff. Our private pool access room is spacious and modern. We can not fault any part of the Resort as it is well maintained and within close walking range to Kata Beach and surrounding shops.BUT ... Every night when the Chinese Tour Buses return anywhere from 8pm until midnight it turns into a zoo .. People yelling screaming running wild and jumping into so called private access room pools which by the way in your room directory states the pool closes at 7pm ? We have had the same problem every night and when I phoned the front counter at 10.30 pm to complain about it I was told I had to complain tomorrow because there was no duty manager to deal with this .. So as a paying customer staying for one week we were basically told we had to put up with it. Not Happy as this occurs night after night .. we would not return based on this poor effort of staff not enforcing the closure of pool times .. I don't think it is acceptable to have Chinese or any other children throwing glass bottles and rocks in the pool ,and yelling out going on so called private verandas after 8pm at night . People including adults are walking onto and around our verandah at all times of day and night to take short cuts around the pool .. So no privacy at all .This could be a fantastic Resort up there with the best , but unfortunatley the behaviour of Chinese Tourists that is not dealt with lets the standards down. We went to eat at the Restaurant last night , but decided not to as same thing , the running screaming children were out of control pushing the computer chairs around the main entrance foyer unsupervised , just about knocking us over while staff just looked on .. Not an atmosphere I want to sit in , so we walked to a little restaurant down the road and had a lovely peaceful meal . We have been coming to Kata for 15 years now and have never complained and love the experience year after year , everyone is happy and on holidays but this past week has been the worst by far based on the out of control behaviour that is allowed when people are trying to sleep , peaceful in the day ... Come on management get it right and enforce a peaceful environment late at night and consider your other paying guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I liked the professionalism of the staff, the comfert and privacy provided. I also like the location near kata beach 5 mins walk only. Furthermore, i extended my visit for sole reason which is the hotel provided all means needed to make my honeymoon an interesting & remarkable vacation. Thanks .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Lets start out with the good things. The hotel uprgraded our family to a pool access suite The hotel has nice new rooms, and clean pools, many of them as it has pool access rooms. It is spread over a large area, but most of the resort is one story. But from here it goes down. My job is teaching hospitality management. This hotel does not have a clue about any form of management. Not Front Office, Food and Beverage or Housekeeping. There is no real management at all. Day 1 of a four day stay we checked in at 1pm. They did not the the guaranteed room for our twins with double beds, they accidentally sold it the night before we arrived. But they arranged to move us the next day at 2pm. So we waited and waited, after asking we found out the rooms were free and had to move ourselves.

That morning we went down to breakfast and there was no bacon in the buffet tray, and no chef to cook. There was also no silverware or cups and plates on the tables. Then we went to order eggs and the cook was gone. He came back 20 minutes later. They have no table clearing service at all. There are about 10 wait staff walking around but they dont have a clue what to do as they are new hires.

When we got back from the beach at 6pm my daughters realized they had left their body cream for the shower in the old room. We looked and it was not occupied so we called the front desk to ask if housekeeping found anything. The reply was sorry but house keeping has gone on we will let you know tomorrow.

Day 3 another disaster at breakfast this time no bread, no jam, and no milk for the cereal. Housekeeping never called nor did the front desk, and by this time the room we vacated was occupied. We called them. Housekeeping found nothing they were sorry. I dont think so.

The place has no marketing either. Its mostly big tour buses full of Chinese tourists who arrive late at night, so there is no "atmosphere" to the hotel. Indeed the Chinese tourists can be fun. They managed to find a way to climb over plants, and make their way to our private balcony in the middle of both the 3rd and 4th night. Rather strange to have to go out and tell your invaders to leave.

If you are going for a night or two and are just going to sleep its okay. But if you want to use as it as base for more time than that I would say no.

It could all be rectified if they would simply get someone in who knows how to run a hotel. They need management urgently. Do not even consider paying the rack rate for this place it is barely a two star resort. But it is dressed up very well.

Room Tip: This is really a two star hotel at best. Dont go for a suite at 75 meters as its no where near that...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I spent 3 nites in this hotel at the end of jul,2013. I'd say this is pretty unique and horrible experience. First if all, it is a little far away from the beach, and at day 1, the hotel said the shuttle driver is on leave and have to wait for next day. And second, there are lots of ants and bugs inside room as far as I can see, I requested to change the room, but they are saying the hotel is full till the day I leave. But in second, I can see lots of rooms are empty. The worst thing happened during my checkout. I got an early flight to catch, I had requested speedy checkout at 4am. The hotel guy said he needs to check the room first. After he went back after 10+ minutes, he said bloody spots in the blanket and asked me to pay 2000b. I went with him and saw the small dirty spots in the bed cover. Shocked to see 2000b, I request him to check the policy, and he got 7000+b this time. I requested to talk to the manager, he put the manager on the call and I'd say this is worst attitude I ever got. The manager said this is not easy to clean up, so they want the customer to pay for the items in this case. I said I understood that, but as a customer, I cannot buy in this. I never met this before for so many hotels I ever stayed. Manager said it is always the case for the other hotels and stated they will call the police if I want to go without pay. End of the call, and I asked to talk the manager and got refused. At this time, the reception guy pointed to me and said I need pay 3500b. Badly everything in Thailand, and u have no way to figure out, but only capture the photo. At this time, more than half hour passed, I have to go for the airport, so I did the checkout with this 3500b pay. I have to say this is pretty bad, I will never choose this hotel if I have 2nd chance…

• Stayed July 2013
Palmery M, Front Office Manager at The Palmery Resort And Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear All Concern,

Warmest Greeting from The Palmery Resort and Spa !

Please kindly inform that the room as per the guest make a booking with Deluxe Pool View .We assigned the correct room type at room 6110. On the checking out time we found that the blanket and bed sheet was dirty with the blood which we tried to deep clean but unable to remove ,therefore we have to charge directly with the guest as per our regulation. The price of missing and dirty items was informed in hotel directory. Please inform that as per we are 4 star hotel. The all Information in the hotel was set up the international language ,English as the international standard. we are insure that the room was assigned correct and we do the best way to the guest and our service.

Thank you very much for your kind support us.

Best Regards,
Panadda M.
Front Office Manager

Been to The Palmery Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!