“Could be great...if only..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Foto Hotel

You added Foto Hotel to your Saves list
Foto Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   218/9 Kata - Saiyuan Road, Kata Beach, Phuket 83000, Thailand   |
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 338 Reviews
Toronto, ON
“Could be great...if only..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Loved the big comfie bed and stunning views. The dim sum breakfasts and excellent coffee made mornings fun. Staff at the front desk were so kind and helpful, housekeeping was also very good

However...as many have noted, service in the bar and restaurant was less than stellar. They are clearly just kids who don't really give a hoot! A firm handed manager would be helpful to straighten things out. I must also comment on the clientele. I expected honeymooners but there were a lot of big families with little kids which surprised me because it is not really a kid type of hotel. Also, because it's 'hip' you get some unsavoury characters hanging around the bar and pool at sunset...it felt a little bit like a nightclub at times. Maybe I'm just getting old :)

Best for the 20something crowd maybe...I wasn't in love with kata in general, so perhaps that coloured things for me.

And yes...the hill is nasty! I'm fit, but it kicked my butt every time I walked up it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I are just about to leave the Foto hotel after a six night stay. We stayed in a garden View room which meant we didn't have the hot tub on the balcony but we did have the garden space to stargaze and watch lanterns in the sky!
The English skills and service skills of the staff aren't amazing and there were a couple of awkward silences but nothing that couldn't be figured out. They were eager to help and came across as professional and honestly the service was much better than I expected from the reviews I'd read.
The breakfast included both hot and continental options (and the hot breakfast was a choice of 3 types, 2 of which were Asian and 1 Western) something for everyone! Drinks and food at the restaurant are more pricey than the food on the beach but totally expected in a hotel. We had one meal on our first night and it was really tasty! We also had a few drinks in the lounge area around sunset time.
Our room was spotless and was cleaned everyday. Fresh towels in the room and at the pool everyday.
There was a shuttle bus running 3 times a day to kata beach but it's only a ten minute walk so we tended just to walk, walking up always required a little more energy (especially after dinner) but if you're remotely fit it's really not a that bad. The view from the hotel pool and restaurant/lounge area is spectacular and totally makes up for the uphill location. Perfect spot to watch the sunset!!
My only real annoyance was the music playing throughout the hotel, it was the same collection of songs playing on repeat and it was bad cover/Christmas music, my suggestion would be to get some more music and lots of upbeat stuff as opposed to the chilled out selection they have.
Payment of a deposit is pretty standard at the beginning of a hotel stay but a reminder of this might be a good idea when sending the confirmation email, we were a bit unprepared due to our long trip and lots of currencies
All in all an awesome hotel, if we choose to come back to Kata I'd definitely choose to stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013
Hasselt, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

++: comfort of room
+/-: location on a steep hill so though walk till Kata Beach
---: customer service!
Conclusion: for us it was one time and never again. In Kata Beach you can find better located hotels which have a much better customer focus!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Citluk, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We were staying in this hotel for 10 days!
Once we entered in the lobby, 5 smiled faces appeared :D everyone welcomed us like kings.
We were staying on 2nd floor
View from room was just outstanding.
Big terrace where you can relax, stargaze, whatever you want to do.
Rooms are big, shower with bath as well, everything was clean all the time.
Late breakfast is a great idea for people that party all night and when they get up in the morning, breakfast is till 1pm.
Big, beautiful pool (check it at night)
Outstanding!
In the restaurant you need to try "brownie" (IT IS a MUST)
English is little bit problematic at first, but it is nothing that can not be solved.
All personel is just outstanding!
Only bad thing is gym tbh (only one multipractice machine)
But hey, you didn't come to practice here, you came to relax!
On the bottom of the hotel you can go to spa etc (wonderful)
In the evening just go to the top terrace and drink coctails in the pool while DJ makes imba atmosphere.
The only thing I regret is why I didn't book this hotel for 2 weeks instead of only 10 days...
Anyway
I recommend this Hotel if you're coming to Phuket!
If I ever come back, this will be the place again!
THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL VACATION FOTO HOTEL!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hote is up a very steep hill get ready to walk. Ask for a room on the first or 2nd floor which is the closest to everything we were on the 4th and omg the stairs. We are both fit active people and after 3 days you get tired of it. Staff does not speak english hard to communicate or even ask for things. We called down one day because it was 5pm and our room was not cleaned yet we did not have clean towels or toilet paper. They came up right away said sorry ect. When we were checking out I see a fee of 650 baht dollars I asked them what was this for they said the extra towels we explained to them we never had towels in the first place. We had to speak with 4 people until this was fixed. They also hold a charge on your visa for 15 days which I did not agree with. I don't think this hotel is 5 stars. 3 at most.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here last November when it was still under construction. Such an interesting hotel and unlike anything I have ever stayed at before. The rooms were beautiful and clean and housed stunning views of the ocean. The bed was massive and provided the most peaceful sleep and the spa on the balcony was so peaceful at sunset. Staff are super friendly. Loved the infinity pool over looking the ocean. We got a deal for around $99 p/night. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in November 2013, loved this place. I wasn't surprised at how good it was having read the reviews, I had high hopes it would be everything I hoped it would be. Check in process easy although 1 or 2 of the staff on front desk could be more welcoming. Reception area is very contemporary & modern, the VW Beetle is in pristine condition but adds to the charm & feel of the hotel being cool in an understated way. We stayed in an ocean hall room, number 312 with breakfast & free minibar included. From the moment we opened the door we thought wow! The bed is huge & comfortable, the only downside being that it was so big my partner & I may as well have been in seperate beds! Bed linen (pillow cases) on some days although fresh, was a bit stained as I know someone else mentioned. There is an iPod dock in the room which is handy. When we pulled back the nets on the window the view is amazing! We had a bathtub on the balcony along with a day bed (cushions on which again were stained), but was a great place to come back to in the evening & just chill & relax. We were not overlooked at all and it was very quiet, the only noises coming from the insects in the nearby trees just what you need to wind down and relax! Shower was a decent size, powerful and water was always hot with toilet opposite & sink / mirror in the main room. Mini bar consisted of 2 Yakult, 2 cans of coke, 2 bottles of water and some jelly - don't expect much from the 'free minibar' if you are getting this included in the price for your stay. Wifi connection was good throughout our stay. There was a hanging rail for clothes but no drawers which i thought odd so spent 5 days rummaging through my case to find things. Next stop was the infinity pool area on the rooftop, views just got better particularly at sunset - we got plenty of great pics! Day beds again to lay on or big bean bags and fresh towels available each day, with the restuarant also on the rooftop made it easy to wander over & order food or get a drink. Prices are reasonable & about the same as elsewhere in Phuket. Breakfast was included in our stay and served until 1pm with a decent selection (cereals, toast, fry up for the Brits and fruit and juices etc available). Location is hilly but worth it for the view alone. Taxi is expensive (paid 200 baht to go to Re Ka Ta beach club at the bottom of the hill on our first day, as we didn't really know our way around at this point) and we walked down the hill into kata and would take a taxi back up, although we did walk it twice our legs ached the next day. For 5 nights we paid £300 and were so pleased at the standard of this hotel. I'm not sure the people giving average/negative reviews are bearing in mind what they are paying, it's great value for money and the criticisms I have are not major and did not affect our enjoyment of this hotel. I can't recommend enough I just hope the hotel can keep the standard high & improve the little things eg minibar selection & clean linens maybe some drawer space. You won't be disappointed at all! We would certainly go back...

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!