“Amazing designer hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Foto Hotel

Save Saved
You added Foto Hotel to your Saves list
Foto Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   218/9 Kata - Saiyuan Road, Kata Beach, Phuket 83000, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
UK
“Amazing designer hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in foto hotel for 5 nights last week and so far this is the best of all hotels in Thailand we experienced.

A very stylish, non pretentious character with helpful staff.
Perhaps the only criticism was the internet which was not very reliable, but who needs it when you have amazing room with great view, infinity pool and tranquillity of the surrounding nature? Oh and a bed which would fit 5 people for the naughty ones!

283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would actually give this hotel 3 1/2 stars. The hotel itself is lovely. Cool design concept, clean, and modern.

The main issues we had were:

1.) Endless ants. Everywhere. I get that it's a tropical climate and I might see an ant here or there. I didn't expect an infestation in my room.

2.) Stairs that were uncovered. When it rained, there were sections of the hotel where you actually had to walk through the rain (even on the stairs) to get back to your hotel room. I don't know whose idea it was to NOT put a roof over portions of the stairs, but I really don't see how it makes any sense.

3.) Location. Phuket in general is not really that enjoyable of a place in my opinion (I prefer Railay or one of the beautiful islands around the area for a cooler vibe). The location of this hotel, though, is so disadvantageous. Yes, because it's located on a steep hill so you DO get somewhat of a nice view, but if you plan to walk and not rent a scooter it's really tricky to walk up the hill to get back to your room. Not only because it's such a steep hill, but also because there is nothing that even resembles a sidewalk and the drivers aren't overly careful as they speed past you and miss you by just a few centimetres. It's uncomfortable and frankly a little scary.

4.) The housecleaners were SLOW and did not always give us new towels (when the others were clearly dirty) and did not re-stock our room appropriately.

5.) The power went off several times and we were given no indication (even after asking) of when we might expect electricity again. We weren't even assured that somebody was working on it to get it fixed. It got rather hot in our room.

6.) Perhaps somewhat unrelated to hotel, but the restaurant was terrible. The morning breakfast buffet was great, but we were disappointed when we ate dinner at the restaurant one night.

I recognize this review comes across as rather complain-y, but I do feel the need to point out the reasons I would give this hotel a score of 3 1/2 stars if I'm going to dock stars. Please note that 3 1/2 out of 5 is not bad. Everything else about this hotel is perfect. The bed is so comfortable and the rooms are lovely. The showers are amazing. The gym is fantastic. I would probably take a closer look at location if I ever decided to stay in Phuket again (I probably won't). If the issues I mentioned above aren't major concerns for you, you would LOVE this hotel. It really is modern, sleek, and cool.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

As I was looking for a hotel for our honeymoon, I instantly fell in love with Foto Hotel when I saw it online. So glad it didn't fail my expectations, specially my husband's. We travelled last March for 4d3n and we booked the Ocean Hall room.

Room: Is huge not to mention the bed. The big round bathtub is at the balcony, day bed is also available, and with its sea view is truly relaxing. The mini bar is free and they replace what you've consumed everyday. Almost everything are specially made for the hotel, from the Bears, the throw pillows, the cups, their trays, the toiletries, and even the bottled water. I love the interiors from lobby, to the room, to the toilet/shower. Smart TV, ipod dock, and speakers, are definitely a plus. A ceiling fan is available if you like an open air room set up. The downside is their shampoo & body wash are refillable instead of coming individually packed. So I don't fell it's very hygienic. Good thing I always bring my own when we travel.

Hotel: It was only few months from their soft opening when we visited so it was expected to be clean. They have the jacuzzi and infinity pool at the second floor (if i remember correctly), same floor with their restaurant, with the view of Kata beach. They have a beautiful Bokeh spa but unfortunately their prices are not reasonable. So we had our massage elsewhere instead.

Food: Their food took my love for Thai food to the next level. Daily breakfast are set meals. Although choices are limited I didn't mind coz they tasted so good anyway.

Location: Is few mins walk to the beach. The hotel is on a hill so... you either hire a tuktuk, rent a motorcyle, else you should have really strong legs to go up and down. Down the hill you got a lot of choices for restaurants, and massage parlor. There's also a small grocery store nearby.

Staff: We always had warm greetings and big smiles from the staffs we walked by around the hotel. The staffs however on the reception aren't really accommodating. The rooms weren't ready yet when we arrived so we were asked to just wait. No refreshments offered even a bottled water. Imagine travelling hours by plane, and another hour by land. So, we just asked where their restaurant is to help ourselves with some refreshments. I would have given a five stars for this hotel if it wasn't for this experience.

Funny experience: Once our room was ready, a staff was to guide us to our room. I was surprised to see a golf cart, which apparently is our service ride to go to our floor level. Clever and cool, yes? We were seated on the back, and as we go up the steep path woah, I felt like I'm gonna fall down. Who thought riding a golf cart will be so scary. I think if my grip wasn't strong enough I would have fallen already face first. I told my husband that we shall never ride that cart again and since then we always took the stairs to go up and down to our room.

Room Tip: Take a room closer to the lobby, so you won't have to take a cart ride, and it won't be much...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Chose this stylish boutique hotel for a short getaway after my wedding. Bad choice..In addition to being in a secluded area where even the cab drivers have problems finding, service is non-existent.

During the first night, we were awoken around 3am by flickering lights in our room, which turned on by itself. The fan above the bed turned on by itself shortly after. Calls made to the front desk were unanswered and we had to make our way to the lobby..only to have the staff insist he was there all the time and the phone did not ring. Anyway a technician followed us back and after some checking, told us it was an electrical fault and assured it'll be fine after restarting the system. Well, it happened again the next day..in fact, it happened around 4 times during our 3 nights stay.

While we understand such issues are unavoidable, what irked us was the staff and management's attitude. Requests for a change of room was turned down with the lousy excuse that hotel is fully occupied. All I can say is that it's pretty obvious whether a hotel is full.

When checking out, we requested to see the manager. The front desk staff went off to the office and came back to inform the manager was not around and gave us a feedback form, assuring they would contact us. How convenient..needless to say, it has been 7 months and not a word from them. Since guests don't matter to them, do make a wise choice and get a better experience elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having heard about this hotel for quite some time, finally I have made here feeling excited about how this hotel is decorated. Locationwise, Foto Hotel is not adjacent to the beach. However, for those who really need to dip their bodies into the sea, the hotel provides free shuttle bus to the beach 3 times a day. Or else, you may have to take a little long walk for about 15 minutes. As for me, I can entertain myself within the property as there are many interesting things to do and see. The room here is quite cozy and fully equipped with necessary facilities & amenities i.e. big-screen LCD TV, medium sized couch behind the bed, bath tub at the balcony, free mini bar, Yamaha portable player dock where you can plug in your favorite music or charge your iPhone. The list goes on and on, there you find almost everything you need in this tiny yet well-furnished room in black & white theme. Luckily, I got an ocean view room with private bad tub and daybed at the balcony.

This small boutique hotel (79 rooms) is claimed to be one of the most fascinating places for photo shooters. The reception hall is minimalist and unique having the Big Bear Doll welcoming you at the Sofa. The check-in is smooth and convenient as they use iPad to record guest information. You shouldn't miss checking out the third floor where you will find the main hotel restaurant (Tiffin Mama) next to the pool. You may choose comfy corners here and there to enjoy scenic view of Phuket, it's amazingly beautiful during sunset.

Overall, I am very impressed with my overnight stay at Foto Hotel. Design and Decoration make this hotel standing out from the crowd, Great Hospitality from staff at all levels make this hotel unmatched. I definitely have to come back here again sooner or later.

Room Tip: Choose Ozone Hall if you need a spacious deck to get some fresh air. Choose Ocean Hall if you prefer...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our 3 night stay at Foto Hotel. The room was spacious and very comfortable. We didn't get a room with a balcony bathtub, but one with a big lawn outside, which was shared with one other room. The view (especially at the poolside) was breathtaking. In fact, we enjoyed lounging in/by the pool more than going to Kata beach itself.

The only reason why I'm not giving thie hotel a 5 is because of the steep slope it is located on. It can get really tiring walking up the slope. Further, it may be dangerous walking up to the hotel at night as there is no real pathway for pedestrians to walk (you have to walk on side of the road inches apart from the moving vehicles) and there is minimal (if any) street lights. But of course, you could always choose to take a taxi up to the hotel if you wish.

Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I had a very good time in foto hotel, room were spacious with bath tub at the balcony and its view was great from room 304.

I stayed in foto hotel for 2 nights and I was thinking of extending my stay. Unfortunately I have to leave to bangkok otherwise I would continue staying for few more days.

There is two things that I would like to comment about is checking in the hotel and the food at tiffin mana. During check in a waited while abit before someone came to assist me. After filling up all the form and deposit payment of 3000baht (usually 1000baht). The front desk told me that my room will only be ready at 2pm and I decided to have lunch first at 1.30pm awhile waiting but after lunch I went to the front desk at 2.30pm to collect my keycard and I notice my bags are still not sent to my room.

Tiffin mama's breakfast was good and no comment about it. The only comment was ala carte menu has limited options and I am very sure foto hotel could do better than this.

Overall great experience!!!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Foto Hotel? Share your experiences!