“No for us again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Andaman Cannacia Resort

You added Andaman Cannacia Resort to your Saves list
Andaman Cannacia Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   212 Kok Tanod Rd, Kata Beach | T.Karon, A.Muang, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #33 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“No for us again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Well we arrived and the reception staff were wonderful but limited English offered us a cold lavender towel and cold drink on arrival and porter came for our bags. took us to our booked room a Garden Villa Spa room, which from the website preview seemed to be the perfect place to relax and unwind whilst enjoying amazing views of Kata Beach from your own private spa. To our shock and horror, these rooms, whilst comfortable and reasonably well equipped, were actually underground, and the rooms had no view at all. Being underground, build into the side of the hill, meant that the rooms were dark, dingy, and always had an earthy and musty smell about them. With no form of natural lighting to speak of, it felt like we were locked away in a prison cell. The spa is in need of repair and clean! The room was decorated beautifully thou. Grounds are in need of maintenance and repair with the pavers.Room service was good but you get no milk in your fridge but do get 2 bottles complimentary water everyday. We had buffet breakfast included, no variety and don't serve bacon!! very limited selection, lunch you order and takes 1/2 to arrive we think the meals at lunch time come from off site. Ordered a cappuccino only to be served with NO MILK. Small portions and expensive. Dinner well what a joke small meals and tasteless. Would not recommend eating here at all. Location was so out of the way resort up a very steep hill and tuk tuk expensive some 300 baht from Horn Grill Steak bar. Courtesy shuttle does not run often enough and during the day drops you off in the middle of Kata beach so if you are not going to the beach you need to walk about 10 minutes to get to where the tuk tuks are. Night time they drop you off at one location Peach Restaurant and pick up you up at another Blossom but forget to tell you miss communication and not a lot of English. Mozzies are a real problem at this resort. Due to non English speaking and location won't stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was shocked when I arrived here (spending around $200+/night) and realized I need to pay to use the internet. It wasn't cheap either - if I remember correctly it was $5.00/hr, and I was promised three hours as a courtesy - but then they charged me anyway! I was trying to skype on my phone, while searching for numbers on my ipad...their internet charge policy prevented me from using both of devices at the same time, which made booking flights and speaking with agents nearly impossible and angering. The internet situation definitely left a horrible taste in my mouth about this hotel, and I did feel I was being "robbed"...especially since this was the most expensive hotel I had in Thailand, and the ONLY one that did not offer free internet. Also, the hourly charge was just preposterous.

They supposedly upgraded me to a honeymoon suite. It was fine. Nice king size bed. It was near the end of the hallway, so I had to listen to a lot of loud chatter between the cleaning staff - who didn't seem to notice they were around bedrooms. Jacuzzi outside on not-so-up kept deck that seemed a little unused and dirty, and on the side of a very busy and loud road anyway. The view from the pools is very beautiful. The hotel is easily $30 to the airport by taxi.

I was sick with a fever when I arrived (I found out much later that I had caught dengue fever on the trip). The staff was fairly kind about that. And they let me shower in the spa upstairs before I left the hotel, and after check out. I had booked the hotel only an hour or so before online. I showed them the booking on the phone. They insisted I print it and guided me to their back office - all while I was clearly very sick with a fever. It seemed ridiculous to me. Anyway, their office was covered with ants...probably pretty typical for Thailand tropics.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed in a ocean view standard room. It was very spacious and clean. Huge bed and bathroom. Very private balcony and beautiful views. The pathway walk to Kata Beach is a challenging one but its short and exercise I needed! It goes through what looks like someone's property with two small houses/shacks with a few dogs but I felt safe even in the dark. Overall it was nicer than expected!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Overall the hotel is good standard with a great location, it is well equipped and clean.The hotel is located on a steep hill, the hill is very very steep but takes no longer than 3 mins to walk unless you need to stop to rest. The reception staff are very friendly and always try there best and do what they can to make your stay excellent, The breakfast is not so good but edible. The staff in the restaurant at breakfast although nice and pleasant did nothing but stand about chatting and one in particular male member of staff ran about irritating most people by behaving like a fairy until the boss turned up and then you get the service you'd expect but as soon as the boss is gone don't expect your table cleared or tea/coffee served, We ate in the restaurant for dinner on our last night, The food is below what you would get down in town but double the price. The grounds and pool of the hotel are very nice but unsafe as there is a lot of manhole covers,drains left open and unsecured slabs. Maybe not everyone will find this an issue but I had a toddler with me. We had a poolside room which was great but some rooms are underground with no view or natural light so when requesting a room either request a room above the first floor or pool side.

Room Tip: Email the hotel before you arrive requesting either a poolside room or a room above the 1st floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I fell victim to the wonders of website previews when we booked what initially seemed like the perfect room at the Ananda Cannacia Resort in Kata Beach, Phuket. We booked a Garden Villa Spa room, which from the website preview seemed to be the perfect place to relax and unwind whilst enjoying amazing views of Kata Beach from your own private spa. To our shock and horror, these rooms, whilst comfortable and reasonably well equipped, were actually underground, and the rooms had no view at all. Being underground, build into the side of the hill, meant that the rooms were dark, dingy, and always had an earthy and musty smell about them. With no form of natural lighting to speak of, my wife and I felt like we were locked away in a prison cell, it was the most claustrophobic experience I have ever encountered. We had booked for five nights, but knew that we could not stay in these rooms for any longer than we had to. We explained our concerns to the hotel staff, and I must say that they were quite understanding of our situation, and were most helpful in arranging for us to change rooms. The hotel was quite full so we were not able to move straight away, but we only had to endure two nights in the bunker, before we were transferred to a poolside room. These rooms are fabulous, and if we had of booked here to begin with we would have had no issues at all with this hotel. The other thing is that this pool side room, was actually cheaper than the room which we had originally booked.
The hotel itself is quite charming, and it does have stunning views of Kata Beach from the main pool area. We eventually did enjoy our stay at the Ananda Cannacia , once we escaped the prison cell.
The service and hospitality could also not be faulted. This is quite a nice hotel, but just beware of the Garden Villas, particularly those on the side of the hill.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose your room carefully. Avoid those rooms built underground, they are like a bunke...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Umea, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Andaman Cannacia is a nice, clean and beautiful place to stay in if you like a quiet place with a view! We chose a Canna Deluxe room on third floor to get the best sea view, also because of the height there were almost no mosquitoes. The staff was friendly and had no objections when we wished to change from second to third floor to get a better view.
The pool is nice and the breakfast has everything you can wish for. We had lunch at the hotel a few times also and it was perfectly alright.
To get to the beach by walking is no problem if your healthy and in good condition - it´s a steep hill but it only takes 10-15 minutes and a bit of sweat! If you´re not up to that you can ride the free hotel shuttle every 15 minutes during daytime. In the night we used to take the shuttle downtown at 7.30 and then get a taxi back. No problems ever. At a couple of times we arranged transportation via the hotel to go to some attractions. Not expensive and very convenient to be picked up at the hotel. A warning for the elephant safari that the hotel recommends though! We were very disappointed and disgusted at the way they treated the elephants; they hit them and were rude to us. Choose another one!
Kata Beach is very clean and not too crowded. We easily found beach chairs every day for 100 bath/day. We could very well consider coming back to this hotel next time in Phuket.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best sea view, absolutely worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is a fantastic base for any Phuket holiday. Its a bit expensive to eat dinner there but the bed and breakfast is great. Nice clean rooms beautiful pool and the usual Thai hospitality.
We had a fantastic time in Phuket , get your self a motor bike if your a experienced rider people in Phuket are pretty good drivers and do give you room , we heard some horror stories about the main land but these people are fairly polite.
Visit all the temples and beautiful beaches and eat out cheap, stay away from Patong its noisy and full of Scandinavian students who want to party, nothing wrong in that just not the reason you should be going to such a beautiful; place for.
We booked with travel bag three nights in Bangkok then on to Phuket , every transfer was spot on and no hitch. Well done guys.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Andaman Cannacia Resort? Share your experiences!