“Stairway to nowhere” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
Kata Beach, Thailand
“Stairway to nowhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

There were exactly 140 stairs to climb from the street to my room which had no view. If you love climbing steps and hate views then this hotel is for you! There's no elevator by the way and I was taken in a minivan with my luggage after check-in. On check-out day no one showed up to retrieve my luggage after I requested help. I dragged it down to my taxi.
I asked 4 different people at the front desk how much a taxi would cost to the bus station to Krabi and got 4 different answers on separate occasions: 500, 600, 1000, and 800. They ranged from just plain stupid to bad criminals.
The people in the hotel restaurant stared at me constantly - very off-putting. This is the third hotel I stayed at in Phuket - the first two were not that great but after Orchidacea I thought more of the previous two. This place is weirdly incompetent and poorly designed, and not a good location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I had one of the worst experiences in this hotel, the lobby looks nice and welcoming. When we entered our room we were shocked, the walls were full of spider nets (we found two spiders alive and several dead), the bedsheets were dirty and no toilet paper was provided. When asking at the reception for the toilet paper they told us we can pick it up later, since the cleaning lady already called it a day and someone has to get it from the storage...
The night was very noisy, as our room was facing the street. The breakfast was alright, fresh fruit was provided and the toast was eatable as well. I am not sure if I would call the juices really 'juices'... it is more like sugary water...
We checked out after the first night, as we could not rest well in the not well-maintained room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here 12 nights in July 2013. Overall it was a pleasant experience. You can not expect a magical 5 star resort for the price of this accommodation.
We had a lovely room in block 6 with great views of Kata beach and the pool. Yes it was a big climb (all 147 steps from the road to our room), but we knew that going in. Don't book this place if you aren't prepared to walk/hike uphill.
The room was clean and the housekeeping staff friendly. The bathroom was a little outdated, but everything worked and the towels were fluffy.
The position of the hotel was fantastic, right between Kata and Kata Noi beaches. The closest being just an easy 5 minute walk.
The pool was ok, but small for the number of guests. We found it difficult to get a sun lounger especially during peak times of 10am-2pm.
Breakfast was adequate. I would suggest the omelet made fresh on demand. The other offerings were often not replenished quick enough, especially the bacon.
The staff were always polite and friendly, especially Michael and Marco on the front desk.
I have no complaints about the hotel or the staff, and did enjoy my holiday.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lovely hotel, great staff, it's probably only a 5 minute walk to the beach but because it's on a hill, you have a steep incline and a lot of steps to your room. Lovely area with plenty to do, food & drink cheap, lovely views on the beach although it did tend to get quite busy. Plenty of restaurants / bars & shops. We didn't have much of a view from the room we were staying at but Im sure they get better the higher you go - I did not see a lift so there would be a lot of steps to climb for that view!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phuket
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After booking from Switzerland for my mother and my daugther I think it was a good hotel but:
-The room are not clean.( photo will come soon)
-1500 Bath for this period for a very small room.
-Very noisy !!! ... When asking for change the room, the only answer was: have to come back tomorow morning for have a look coz not sure have free room...when i saw the hotel had 60% occupation a feel like nobody take care... so we wait 5 night and nothing change...
Total shame for staff name Marco who never try to help, no smile and really make me feel like we disturb him!!!
I work in Phuket Town in company for tourist also and I really was surprise to saw this kind of hotel and staff.
we book 10 night but we check out and pay an other hotel far awai this one !!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Apart from the steps, the rooms were clean serviced well, the facilities at the hotel were great. Very enjoyable. The pool and bar was a welcome relief from the heat. The aircon would have been a nice to be left on while away from the room so that a cooling return to the room could be enjoyed, they key in the slot system does not allow for this. The view from our room was great.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Okay, this place is cheap but why come all the way to Phuket to experience something that is very very average at best?

Internet costs 250 a day and ONLY works in the lobby. Cant get it at the pool despite it being shown as available on my ipad. Absolutely madness!

When we were taken to our room the door had been left open for god knows how long which in Thailand means only one thing. The place as crawling with mosquitos and bugs. I get bitten even when I cover myself in lotion and keep all doors and windows shut let alone when the doors been left open to let the whole world in.

You are given towel cards but if you lose the cards or your towel you are charged 300. Why oh why? Another money making scheme of this hotel!

The pool area wasnt kept clean enough, empty ice cream packets lying around crawling with ants...yuk!

The website stated all rooms have a sea view. This is a lie. Our room looked out on a bit of grass. It was next to the big hill next to the hotel which meant a poor nights sleep due to all the scooters and lorries chugging up the hill in 1st gear.

Fnally, i was ill with the unmentionable while i was here and we were only supplied with one toilet roll which was a nightmare when my partner suddenly developed the same, he had to run to the pool toilets!!! Surely having a spare loo roll isn't too much to ask?

The positives I can give you are that the breakfast is free and there is a huge choice with some lovely food. The pool is nice and warm and the pool bar staff friendly (except if you need a towel and have not yet been given your towel card cos your rooms not ready) there must be some lovely sea views from some of the rooms, but unfortunately we didn't get to see them.

My advice is spend a bit more and stay somewhere that doesn't want to rip you off on the small things. However if you are on a budget and want to stay in a resort with a nice pool and good access to the beach then why not. But for us, sorry this hotel wasn't half as good as how it was advertised online.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Orchidacea Resort? Share your experiences!