“Top Choice in Kata” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capannina Inn

You added Capannina Inn to your Saves list
Capannina Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98/84-85 Kata Rd. | Karon, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 54 Reviews
“Top Choice in Kata”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Originally booked a family room on booking.com for a very reasonable price. Upon arriving at the hotel and checking into our room, we found the room to be huge. So big in fact that we could've lived in it for a month. We spoke to the check in lady and she helped us downgrade our room to a smaller one without a view for a cheaper price too, now thats a deal.

The rooms were very clean, bed sheets were perfect, A/C worked great, bathrooms were large, bath towels and beach towels were supplied. And to top things off our own expresso maker in the room. Television with approximately 80 channels, 5-10 english channels.

The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk to Kata Beach which we did one day. We felt like a break from the crowds and sand and used the roof top pool for three days. Perfect size pool and nobody but us were up there for 3 days. Pool was very convenient as well, as it was only a 15 second walk back to our room to use the bathroom or to get drinks from our fridge. An amazing three days were spent sunbathing and relaxing on the roof.

The hotel has a newer section and an older section. The large room we originally saw was very nice with brand new furniture and fixtures. But even the older room we stayed in was very modern and well maintained.

Only complaint while there was because the hallways and rooms are all ceramic flooring, noise in the hallways travels long distances and echoes. If you plan on sleeping in, in the mornings get ear plugs if you arent a heavy sleeper. Other then that the place is a steal for the price we paid.

They offer a free tuk tuk service to the beach and to their restaurant which is located about 5 minutes away or a 20 minute walk south along Kata Beach.

We had dinner at their restaurant the first night which is tucked away from the street and noise. The food was authentic and fresh and the portions were large. Service and atmosphere were also very good.

Breakfast in the morning was quite good. A selection of fresh baked goods, fruit and yogurt are available as well as the best lattes we've had pretty much anywhere.

I could see us coming back here and staying with the family for 2 weeks in the future.

Previous negative reviews are not indicative of what this place is. Well worth the price.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: We saw more than one room in this hotel and all appeared amazing inside. Some have views others don...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am very surprised by the past negative reviews, which seem to be in 2011. My wish is to write a current review, to spread the word of what a treasure the Capannina Hotel is! My husband and I arrived in Phuket in mid-June after having dental work in Chiang Mai. We first stayed at another Kata beach hotel that we found on Asia Rooms, just down the road from this Hotel. After spending 2 weeks there, the owner's rates went up and he was not willing to negotiate for a long stay. So, we wandered down the road and asked to look at rooms here. We were thrilled at the facilities: beautiful roof-top pool with jacuzzi with new chaise lounge chairs and tables with umbrellas. It's very peaceful and private, overlooks the local hills and you can hear the surf at night. Our room is immaculate and a good size with a large bathroom and walk in shower. Air-conditioned, it has lots of closet and storage space, shelves, free wifi, flat screen TV with lots of channels (English, Thai, German, French, Russian) and Illy cappuccino/expresso maker in the room. Also a balcony with table and 2 chairs. The perk we enjoy the most is the breakfast that is included. The owner is Italian and has a restaurant in town (which we have not gone to yet). His care for quality shows in the food he serves for breakfast: freshly squeezed orange juice, more Illy cappuccinos, yourghurt, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, fresh croissants plus fresh fruit, usually watermelon. There is so much food, enough to keep us going until dinner! Rooms are efficiently cleaned while you are enjoying breakfast. Beach towels are given for either the pool and/or beach. Most of the staff speak English well and are very friendly and helpful. The young woman behind the front desk who seems to be the day manager and handles reservations is so welcoming and proficient in English. We were last in Kata Beach 4 years ago and this hotel is located in a new neighborhood that was not here before. It is on a quiet road, just steps away from cafes and a great open market across the road on Mondays and Thursdays, late afternoons until evening. We stock up on fresh fruit, at about half the price of what is offered by the local shops. The beach is about a 10 minute walk. While we are here off-season, it is still a bit crowded but yet this neighborhood is still quiet a night, yet close enough to walk and get a bite to eat. It's at the northern end of Kata Beach area, which is great because every night we walk 30 minutes from here to the end of Karon Beach and back for fitness. Yet, we are close enough to main Kata Beach...so you can really choose either beach and easily walk. The local bus that takes you to Phuket Town stops at the end of the street, and every Wednesday we take it to Central Festival to stock up on provisions and also see a movie (only 90 baht on Weds). So, we are thrilled to have found this wonderful hotel, as we did our research when we first arrived and found many other places to be overpriced, noisy or not clean at all. After 2 weeks at the first place, we were considering relocating to Bang Tao beach area, but so happy we were able to get a great rate and stay here. Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Hotel is expanding into another wing and installing an elevator, but staff seem happy to show you a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Got a great discount booking online shortly before arriving. My girlfriend and I were blown away by the room, very spacious, clean, tidy and comes with a proper coffee machine. Breakfast was tasty and they serve till 11am which was a welcome change.
Not situated right on the beach but it's not far and there are many places to hire a bike if the walk seems to daunting. lovely roof pool with jacuzzi. The staff very friendly and helpful. The only let down was the view from our room which was situated at the rear of the hotel, we had a nice swampy building site to look at, but even so this place was easily one of our favourites during our 22 day travel round Thailand.

Room Tip: ask for the front of the hotel overlooking the park
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! I went to their website and booked a room for 4 nights for January 2012. Their website charged me for the first night's stay. A day later I was contacted by the hotel directly, and they told me their computer had made a mistake and that all the rooms were booked. I told the lady that their website had already charged me. She said that was impossible, and that there must be an error in MY bank. I later verified with my bank, and then contacted the hotel. They said they would take care of it. A day later, the manager of the hotel called me and told that they DID have rooms available, and that the first lady who called me was wrong. He told me he could book us. However, I had already booked another hotel. Their response? They canceled my entire stay, and then I WAS CHARGED FOR ALL 4 NIGHTS! As I had booked 2 rooms, I was out $600! I started calling and sending emails, but I was ignored...no callbacks, no responses...nothing. When I got the manager on the phone, he yelled at me in a heavy Italian accent that everything would be fine and that it was being fixed, though he never explained how. He was very irritated that I was calling (and he let me know it repeatedly).

Finally, I received a notification that I would be reimbursed. However, I was not reimbursed the full amount...they shaved about $10 off, which they said MY BANK was charging for all the extra transactions, as if it was MY FAULT. They refuse to make good, even though all of this nightmare was THEIR FAULT.

You'd have to be pretty desperate to stay here. This place is obviously a low-class business with poor leadership. Don't trust them with your credit card. They obviously feel they can do whatever they want with YOUR money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Clemente
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have been to Phuket many, many times and this is the first time I have stayed at Capannina Inn. To be honest, my intention this trip was not to stay at Capannina Inn rather than a different hotel that I knew of, but since I misplaced the contact data for the other hotel I decided to reserve at Capannina Inn instead. After all, I had eaten at Capannina restaurant many, many times and it was excellent so I figured their inn must also be of very high quality. I was wrong.

Capannina Inn is located in a new area of Kata beach known as Kata Beach Center. The area is quiet and mainly residential, but easily accessible to outside areas. To be fair, Capannina Inn staff are very friendly and helpful, but there is only so much they could do when the facilities were poor.

We reserved a superior room with an extra bed for our 9-year old. Upon arrival the room we requested was not ready so we had to sleep in two different rooms. The next day when they did install the extra bed, it was little more than a folding cot which was very uncomfortable to sleep on. The second day we were there the cable TV went out and we had to wait until the next evening before it was repaired. When the cable did go out we tried using the room phone to contact the reception, but the telephones were out of order in all rooms.

Worst of all was the water. The water for the entire three days we were there was yellow. Very yellow. We brought this to the attention of the local staff, but there was nothing they could do that solved the issue. So, make sure you have plenty of bottled water to brush your teeth with!

The room price includes breakfast, but breakfast is little more than a pastry roll with juice. There is no real cooked breakfast least of all with bacon and eggs. You will probably end up having to go for a better and more satisfying breakfast at a nearby restaurant.

And the price. Capannina Inn is highly overpriced. Room quality is no better than at any of the other surrounding inns, but Capannina Inn's prices are almost double. At Cappanina Inn we paid a discounted rate of about $65 per night, but after leaving because on the 3rd day we could no longer tolerate such a substandard experience, we went next door and got a nicer, bigger room at a hotel which offered a great breakfast, free spa and jacuzzi and a real second bed for our child at a non-discounted rate nearly 50% less than what we were paying at Capannina Inn.

Mario, kudos for having such a great restaurant, but shame on you for such a terrible inn. Perhaps you are too busy to manage it correctly.

Room Tip: Great Tip: Avoid Capannina Inn and Stay Anyplace Else!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Capannina Inn? Share your experiences!