We stayed at Manohra 6 nights in December 2012. We were searching for a budget accommodation with not too much of a stroll to the beach as well as far from the noisy, overcrowded and not-too-family recommendable nightlife such as Patong or Bangla road. Spot on.
Airport pick-up was in a comfy car (our daughter got to rest) with aircon and the price was conveniently added to our hotel bill upon arrival. We were greeted by a friendly night receptionist with limited English but very helpful and polite that even helped us with our bags. The room was exactly what we had discussed with the owner beforehand (renovated standard room). Aircon was good, even too good at times, so we often used the fan instead. The bed was very comfortable, just hard enough for our taste, however much harder than European standard that tend to be quite soft. The shower had a convenient plastic door rather than a curtain and an extra curtain separated it from the room. We made a point of tipping the house keeping and cleaning was always good even when our little one brought a bunch of sand back in from the beach (in the bed and all). Sheets were spotless clean and changed daily. The breakfast was good, with a choice of fresh fruit (pineapple, mango, lichee, papaya and watermelon) and eggs, some yoghurt, cereal and toast (and bacon). The lady tending the breakfast tables was quite nice and we always left a tip for the mess our 2 year old daughter made. The pool is not as small as people say, it's fine for a quick swim in the morning before going to town. I mean, why go to the pool for more than just a dip with a choice of beaches (not that far) around?
If you have children, avoid leaving the hotel through the front gate. This is only for driving access and there is a large road with little walking space (vehicles all speed like crazy) and a difficult crossing if you decide to leave this way. There is however a 7-11 and a Tesco quite close nearby on this side.
The receptionist recommended to use the back door and even though it appears harder to get out with a stroller after the exit it becomes clear this is the best way out and in. This back door opens in the middle of restaurants and shops (after you pass the tailors back-rooms). Distances in the Hotel brochure can be misleading and we would not recommend the Italian that was featured, not for the quality of the food (good) but for the overpriced menu.
Avoid the "Tuk-tuk mafia" as much as possible. 400 baht minimum to go anywhere at all is just outrageous. There is a bus called the Songthaew minibus (converted pick-up trucks) that take you along a predefined route between Phuket town and Kata stopping in Karon that is most convenient for 30 bhat per person per trip and they didn't even charge for the stroller (or our daughter for that mater). It takes a bit longer but it's an adventure not to be missed (not to mention much cheaper).
We enjoyed most Kata noi beach. We paid the parasol mafia fee and felt safe to go swim (one at a time) and our belongings were safe(r). The main Kata beach is nice but was quite noisy because of the festival for the Kings birthday. Karon beach was less full and it is possible to avoid the parasol mafia but at the cost of a bit of walking around to find a spot.
Overall Manohra does what it says, we enjoyed our stay and can recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Manohra Cozy Village is a small resort offering a relaxed atmosphere in a nature friendly environment, composed by comfortable and well cared bungalows, at walking distance from the nightlife of Kata Center and just a few minutes from Kata Beach. The small size of the resort, reflects its management policy, first of all focused on customer care. Manohra is more than just a good place to spend holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Agoda, Tingo and Hotels.com so you can book your Manohra Cozy Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manohra Cozy Village Hotel Kata Beach
- Manohra Cozy Village Phuket/Kata Beach