“What dreams are made of!” 5 of 5 stars

The Shore at Katathani
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   14 Kata Noi rd., Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Kata Beach
New York, New York, United States
“What dreams are made of!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is the most amazing resort we've ever seen. The Pool Villas are to die for. We originally had a "Garden pool villa", but upgraded to the Beach view bc it is absolutely worth the $. The ambiance, the decor, everything about this hotel is top notch. They didn't skim on anything inside these rooms. The staff as well are wonderful and welcoming. We loved our room specifically because it wasn't too far up on the mountain and was very private. They are pretty quick with the gold carts to get you around the resort as well! The rooms have two large armouires, a desk, a vanity, a sitting area, king size bed then a separate bathroom with two sinks and a sitting area outside by the cabana and the pool. The only thing that was odd was that the bathroom was not air conditioned, but it was not unbearably hot. the AC in the rooms worked really well and the room was cool. The Wi-Fi was decent, not super high speed, but fast enough. Getting to Patong/Bangla Road was easy enough, we went into two 2 nights out of our 6 nights and were happy to travel the 20 min to get there knowing the quality of the room we had. It was worth the commute to go out and cab fare is $15usd. Overall this resort is the #1 reason we'd come back to Thailand (along with all the beautiful sights), it is like no where else, it feels like a dream and makes you never want to leave!

Room Tip: 8873 - beach villa - one of the best!! Not to far up, but only one beneath you and a perfect view! S...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Tara G.,

Thank you very much for spending your holidays “a Shore”. It was a pleasure to host you. I will let our team know about your positive comment about them. I will make a note for next time, so you will get “your” Seaview Poolvilla 8873 again. Take care and hope to see you “a Shore” soon again.

Best regards

Resort Manager & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bratislava, Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was one of the best, if not the best holidays we had. The villas are set on a hillside, making the view unbelievable. We could spend hours only watching down the beach and the sea. The villas offered a perfect privacy, including the plunge pool. The beach directly in front of the hotel is a public one, but was all the time very clean and never crowded. Though we are not keen on swimming pools and prefer swimming in the sea, the infinity pool overlooking the beach is a perfect spot to relax. The hotel staff was very caring and trying hard to accomodate all the requests. The hotel restaurant offers a nice choice of good quality food, but the close restaurant called Mom Tree ´ s Kitchen is an absolutely must to try with excellent Thai food and very attentive staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristina F.

Thank you very much for your lovely review. It was great having you here at the Shore. I am glad that we could make your stay unforgettable. It’s true, the view from our Seaview Pool Villas are amazing. I hope to welcome you back “a Shore” next time.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had the privilege to spend four nights in this resort. Having spent last year at Cape Panwa, I must say the view is just as spectacular and the unbroken view of the horizon is a sight to behold. It is indeed picture perfect. Everything about the villa deserves to be commended and really enjoyed the time when I was here. And I guess being able to use the facilities at the main Katathani hotel did make the stay more enjoyable - more selection of restaurants and pools. And being able to easily access the beach added to the value of the stay.

While the appearance of the sea view villa is perfect, it often hides more than it reveals. It can still be improved somewhat. The water pressure in the villa could have been better. Somehow it took forever to shower especially when the water trickles. This continued despite informing housekeeping. The water had 2 options - either too hot or cold. It took about 5 mins of adjusting before we could find the right temperature for the water. So much wastage.

The Shore has an intricate system to display if you want to have your room cleaned, sheets changed, not to be disturbed and so forth. So despite me telling the front desk that I would like my room to be cleaned in the morning, the room was not done up if one has forgotten to indicate in front of the doorway.

Breakfast could be better if they offer a slightly wider choice of food. They only served continental breakfast and I thought being in Thailand, I could have some thai food. This was somewhat lacking and had to venture off to the other part of the hotel - Katathani - but was somewhat told the food was not as good. Hm ... most shockingly, when I was having dinner with candles, a cockroach crawled past my plate and utensils. I was most horrified.

Overall, the experience was memorable and took many pictures. I did enjoy my stay but not sure if I would come back again ..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Munster3,

Thank you very much for you review .I am glad to hear that you had an overall memorable experience, and that you enjoyed your stay. Indeed this place is something special.

Regarding our water pressure and the adjusting of the temperature in your shower room, please be informed that we have already informed our Engineer department to look after this problem, and it has successfully been fixed. I do truly apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Due to our tropical surroundings, it sometimes occurs that an insect can find its way through the restaurant. However, let me clarify that this is not a regular problem and I am sorry about that as well.
Nevertheless, we regret not meeting your expectation regarding our menu selections during breakfast. Please allow me to specify regarding your comment of not presenting enough variety of Thai food during breakfast. Please kindly be informed that we do provide a daily a la carte menu for breakfast containing several thai dishes, such as fried noodles, fried rice, Dim sum etc, for guests to order during breakfast. Our Chef will be very happy to freshly cook it for you.
We’ve also notified the Housekeeping department of your complaint, and we will investigate this matter and do our best, to improve the service of our employee. Once again I am sorry about the inconvenience caused.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back aShore!
Sincerely yours
Resort Manager
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We spent three nights at the Shore. Our villa was very neat with great view of the sea. We were lucky to have an unexposed view of our swiming pool which granted us true privacy. The staff was very professional and very helpful. Everything was just what we needed.

Room Tip: Check the surrounding if you need privacy. We were in villa 833. Other villas had their swiming pool...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Derbala,
Thank you for your time taken to provide this good review of your recent stay. I am glad to hear that your experience at The Shore was perfect. Thank you also for your kind compliments towards our staff. We all hope to welcome you back "aShore" in the near future!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I are checking out from The Shore at Kata Noi, Phuket tomorrow. Very sad to leave. We are staying in villa 8833 with own sparkling pool overlooking a very calm, white sandy beach with the most amazing aqua blue water.
We have stayed at many luxury resorts but this is our all time favourite.
The room is 5 star, extremely clean and well maintained. Each day of the week has a colour theme and a card of explanation is left in your room with a small gift. You look forward to returning to the room to make the discovery.
The restaurant (The Harbour) is located directly on the beach. Complimentary afternoon tea is a daily must with small,cakes, sandwiches to choose from whilst enjoying the view not to mention the wonderful service from the staff.
Don't be put off by the resort being on a very steep hill. We chose mainly to walk for the exercise but if you are inclined to wait for a complimentary buggy your wait time is never more than a couple of minutes. The very efficient buggy drivers are always happy to assist with a kind smile and show an interest in how your day has been.
We chose to to return to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. The staff made our arrival extremely special by arranging a surprise in our room. I will not divulge the extent of our surprise so as not to spoil it for any guests who may be arriving for a special occasion.
We were greeted by name by all staff including management. Each day we were asked if there is anything we require to make our stay more enjoyable and I have to say they could not do any more than they already do. I could go on and on except to say it is with regret we are leaving and look forward to returning in the near future.
Well done The Shore, you run a first class resort.

Room Tip: This is not our first stay . All rooms are excellent with excellent air conditioning and all comfort...
Dear KarenGadd,
Thank you for your time taken to provide this good review of your recent stay. I am glad to hear that your experience at The Shore was perfect again. Thank you also for your kind compliments towards our staff. We all hope to welcome you back "aShore" in the near future for your next anniversary!

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed at The Shore at Katathani after reading the overwhelmingly large number of positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. I got 2 Seaview Pool Villas for 4 adults for 4 nights in August, which was in the middle of the low season. I figured that it would be the best time to go to Phuket without the huge throngs of tourists.

On the surface, The Shore is a beautiful establishment, with a very very big plus point going for it - the spectacular views of Kata Beach and the pristine waters of the Andaman Sea. It is breath-taking when you first enter the Villa perched on top of a hillside facing the smaller Kata Noi Beach area.

Unfortunately, as the price you pay is rather high for such an exclusive property, it is inevitable that you start getting "nit picky" about the little things, and they all add up after staying for a few days.

First, the checking in - one of the Villas was not ready until almost 4:00pm. Not quite acceptable really. The standard of housekeeping was variable. On one of the days, the housekeeping was not done until the late afternoon, even though we had called the reception to request for the Villa to be cleaned in the morning. On other days, the housekeeping was ok. It rained on two of the days we were there and the housekeeping staff did not wipe clean the couches in the open area next to the pool.

On my last day in the Villa, I had the misfortune of seeing a cockroach run around in my Villa! Quite shocking and unfortunately, I could not catch it, so its probably still lurking in the Villa now. That was Villa number 8843.

The hotel is part of a larger establishment called The Katathani Beach Resort. The reception staff, while very pleasant, are often times rather forgetful. So for eg, they failed to inform me and my friends that there was a dress code for a restaurant which they booked for us and hence when we turned up, we were rejected by the restaurant staff! It was most embarrassing!

As The Shore only has 46 or so Villas, it only has one restaurant. The breakfast served daily comprises of only western type food such as eggs cooked to order, the usual continental stuff and sausages, ham, etc. Nothing outstanding. Unfortunately, after a few days of the same food, it becomes tiresome and boring. The staff at the restaurant needs further training - I asked for some honey to go with my Earl Grey Tea and all she did was to point her hands at the buffet table that I could go get it myself! This is not a good reflection of service standards you would expect of a so-called Five Star Resort.

All in all, I'm hard pressed to recommend this property to the discerning traveler. It has great potential (unsurpassed views and a beautiful setting), but is ultimately let down by the relatively average service standards.

Dear SingaporeGuy10

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us through Trip Advisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our spectacular view of Kata Noi Beach, and that you had a good overall stay, as you mentioned to me upon check-out. It was nice to being able to speak with you in person regarding your concerns.
Let me apologize for your waiting until 4 pm for the room. Of course, this is not our standard as our rooms should all be ready by 2 pm. After investigating with our front office, I see there must have been some misunderstanding regarding your arrival time as we expected you to arrive in the evening. Accordingly, I would like to truly apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Due to our tropical surroundings, it sometimes occurs that an insect can find its way into the villa. However, let me clarify that this is not a regular problem and I am sorry about that as well.
Please also let me apologize regarding the insufficient information given by our staff regarding the dress code for the restaurant. Rest assured they received proper training despite this lapse.
As I have informed you already, we do provide a special breakfast menu on the table for additional Thai dishes to be ordered. I am glad that during your last morning, you were able to choose from our menu.
To ensure that our staff conduct themselves in a manner which reflects the high regard we have for our customers, we’ve notified the proper departments of your complaints and dissatisfactions – and will continue to follow up regarding those matters, doing our best to improve the service of our employees.

I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back aShore again in the near future. We would be pleased to prove our quality service.

Sincerely yours
Resort Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Incredible design, 5-star services, great personnel, many daily based surprizes..still not enough?add the natural beauty of phuket island!!the shore brings a totally different meaning to 'holiday' and 'hotel'..couldn't imagine any better for honeymoon..

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ozcan İ,

Resort Manager & Team

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!