“Revisited, and as every bit as perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #1 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
Singapore
“Revisited, and as every bit as perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The resort still goes out of their way to make sure we have a great time. Everything I have posted in my last review is still true, except that this time we have great weather for all 4 days, which meant the view was even more astounding.

We got villa 8842 and were constantly told by buggy staff this was one of the best villa of the lot since it was perched high. Whilst the view was amazing without a doubt, we actually preferred our previous villa 8812 which allowed us to strolled to the beach / main pool / Harbour restaurant easily.

Food from the in-room dining menu was alright but the variety was limited. Lots of dining options available in the Kata "village" if you could be bothered with a hilly walk about 15 minutes away.

Highly recommended.

521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I can't believe that this is one of the highest ranked hotels in Phuket. Very fishy as we hated it and here's why.
We checked in and had to pay the whole bill in advance, what's up with that?
We were pressured to choose a breakfast and time to be delivered at the check in, I finally had to tell the pushy guy "How do I know what I want and when I want to eat it, tomorrow?"
We went to the room in a golf cart and could not hear anything over the screaming feed back from the drivers radios. I felt lucky just to get away from the staff. There was a storm and a tree banging up against our room they said they would move us. I got the golf cart driver to help me tie it to the fence, thanks Mimi that was nice of you and they sawed it down the next day.
Woke up in the am and realized that our neighbors were looking at us in our pool, no wall on one side of our room. (I asked for a very private room) Went to breakfast and it was a buffet, it was just fine but I would not give it 3 stars... Another thing that was pointed out that the other hotels in the area are not allowed to use the Shore restaurant. Who would want to anyway? It is a buffet at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. A 5 star hotel should have a good restaurant, not a buffet... Check the bowl of scrambled eggs by the omelet station, greasy and not fresh.
The other Katahani hotels look like a better value.
The room does have a commanding view of the sea and the fact that they don't allow children are it's only good points.
The room is appointed with exceedingly cheap pressed particle board furniture. Grandmas pedestal sink and tub. Awkward layout of the room, appears was finished in a rush and there is nothing redeeming in the room outside of the view. Even the soap is cheap and the shampoo refilled canisters. The pool has a creepy seating area in it that makes no sense. The cabinets for clothes were made of plywood painted off white. The bleached wood floors covered with black marks. Seriously I could not wait to get out of there. An architects nightmare. I thought I was in the twilight zone...
We went to the spa and would rate it as a 3, not Wat Po trained staff in there...
The golf cart transport is spotty, sometimes waiting a long time and ending up walking. I'd hate to see it when the place is busy. I will say that the golf cart drivers were really nice and the security guards very professional and made you smile.
It's sad that they built such a cheap 2 star hotel there on such a nice beach.
Ever sadder that people think it is nice, and that they are ranked so high in TA, I feel Hood winked by the reviews. I would never stay there again and I would put a value price on the room at 200.00 a night tops. I have learned my lesson and I will now only read the reviews of TA people that have no less than 20 reviews.
Walking around the property you'll see all the pipes and drainage ditches. Out the front door you must walk past a derelict buildings in dreaded disrepair and the back side of a restaurant where we were stunned by the bags of trash and smell.
The generator runs now and again and I liken it to a hovercraft about to make a departure, very loud to say the least.
Another thing I'd like to say is that we never met the manager of the hotel. Not a peep and in 4 days this kind of boutique situation the manager should be everywhere, omnipresent. I hope you Mr. manager don't try to reply to my issues because I don't care. Nor will anyone believe your excuses. Go to Hotel management school and upgrade the property. A 5 star hotel is an experience and a wonderful thing. Staying in your hotel is depressing.
Don't take the trip to Phuket town, you are dropped from the bus in front of another hawker station where they then take you to the night market in another taxi. I wish this was clear we wasted half a day in the traffic for nothing. The driver took us into a HUGE traffic jam to make a stop at the mall and no one wanted to go to the mall. Should I mention he was picking acne on his head the whole way? Probably not but it happened.
Lastly, we found a quaint wonderful hotel on the other bank of the beach. Wonderful staff and really good food, check out Ma Tri's. We wished we stay'd there... We had dinner there every night.

Room Tip: Stay at Ma Tri's where you'll save some money and have a much better room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Danasbox,

Kindly allow me to reply in order for readers to gain an accurate impression of the property as Trip adviser permits a fair perspective with responses from each side. Readers will be pleased note that in contrast your claim, our track record shows a substantial number of well-travelled guests thoroughly enjoyed their stay including the services, facilities and restaurant. More to this point, thank you for greatly endorsing our villa’s “commanding sea view” and praising our associates from the bell hops to security. We also appreciate your stated gratitude for the resort’s privacy which is afforded by a design exclusively for adults.
Nonetheless, we regret that our resort did not meet your overall expectation. In part, this could be attributed to our not having been confronted about your concerns while here during the course of your four days. As quality service remains our utmost priority, we are pleased to address all guest feedback. I am always available upon request throughout the property to rectify any issue. I am as well every morning at The Harbor during breakfast as well often in the lobby; however I do apologize if I haven’t met you during your stay. Furthermore in your case, I have been informed when the duty manager approached you to apologize regarding your complaint of the Shuttle service you refused to speak with her and walked away. The following morning, prior to your checkout time I attempted to make contact although you had unfortunately departed earlier than planned. Regarding your trip outside and other dissatisfactions expressed, please allow us to clarify a few points in order to correct the inaccuracies:
1. As a point of fact, guests are welcome to be billed either upon check-in or check-out as they prefer.
2. You note that our restaurant serves buffets (not a la carte) for lunch & dinner which simply is not the case.
Even for breakfast we provide a la carte with the special of the day, additional to our buffet. As well we do offer breakfast in Villa.
3. While apparently you expected a tour, our “Shuttle Service” is provided merely as transport.
4. Complimentary & Private In-Villa Breakfast isn’t a requirement; it is optional as implied by the prose “Stay as you Wish” mentioned on the form and by the resort host along with our website.

The Shore prides itself on personalized experiences for guest. We apologize however, that you did not understand the “Stay as you Wish” concept which has been well-received for guests to choose: the type of pillow, fruit, room setup, and other amenities. To clarify, breakfast selections may be chosen during either the evening or upon dining and can be delivered in-villa or seated at the Harbor Restaurant according to your preference.
I am glad nonetheless that our gardeners were able to satisfying your concern about the tree by promptly removing it from outside your villa. (As a side note, The Shore aims to increase its number of trees each year and therefore we’ve sprouted a tree elsewhere to indemnify it.)
Sincerely yours,
Resort Manager
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This anexxe to the Katathani is pure luxury. We were priveledged to experience the luxury and privacy offered by this resort. We had a package deal with the Katathani ( Goiing back this october with a package that includes The Sands... another Katathani small hotel). The Shore is the perfect spot for couples to connect or re connect... The view and private pools are world class. I will definitely return there. The "After Beach" bars that overlook the resort are a great distraction at sunset.. try them out..

Room Tip: Look out for a package deal via email promotions..
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London U.K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Me and My wife just got back to from our honeymoon, and honestly words alone cannot describe how beautiful the shore is and how perfect the staff made our honeymoon. When we got there we were warmly greeted by the staff and the resort manager Sabina, who was soo lovely. We were given room 8842 which was just out of this world, our jaws dropped the minute we entered the room and were shown around. The room had everything from a coffee machine to digital tv/dvd player, bose speaker for ipod etc, free wifi and the setting of everything was spot on.
it is how it looks in the pictures and more. The villas are directly on top of kata beach and there are other beaches around the corner too. The main area of patong is about a 20-30 minute drive which the hotel offers shuttle buses or organises a taxi, which we did. Everyday the staff did something for us which was soo overwhelming, weather it was housekeeping leaving cakes in your room for you, to flower surprises, fruit platters.. the kind gestures just kept coming and it was soo lovely. A special thanks to Mimi and Jai who were the buggy drivers, these guys will make you laugh, will pull out every stop to make sure you are having a great time at the shore..by the end of the holiday I felt as though I had known them for years, great asset to the shore as well as the other staff. Breakfast is really nice aswell, you can choose to have it in your room for no extra cost or downstairs in front of the beach at the harbour which is also fantastic...don't forget to visit the scala which is a top restaurant and the food is delicious! room service 24 hours for food, burgers, thai food etc and we also used the main resort facilities aswell, like snooker, ps3! table tennis and other activities. Some Local shops, supermarkets and restaurants are a 2-3 minute walk from the lobby. Having travelled a lot, I can honestly say the service you receive here is unbeatable. 5stars to the location, the view, and the staff. Thank you to everyone at the shore for giving us a truly unforgettable honeymoon. We miss you and hope to return again soon! Taj and Bhavna
P.S. We booked through travelbag and everthing was perfectly pre booked including all transfers and rooms in Bangkok too as well as Phuket.

Room Tip: We booked a seaview villa- unbelievable view.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Picking a hotel in Phuket was difficult. They tend not to be on the beach. We then came across The Shore and went for it (even though it's much more than what we would normally pay!) and I'm so glad!

It's an hour away from the airport which is a pain but once we started to drive through Kata it was worth it as it's so much better than Patong!

We had villa 8862 which is on Lobster alley. We could walk directly to the beach and the Harbor so didn't have to wait for buggies.

When you walk into the room you are in awe. The room looks out to Kata Noi beach. It was amazing! The patio are is out of this world with it's cabana and private pool. There's also a seating area where we had breakfast the first morning. There was a lot of food (we only ate about a third and did feel bad it was wasted!). Each evening we watched the sun go down from our pool. We didn't want to leave.

We had lunch at the harbor which was reasonably priced considering the price of the rooms. Room service was also a good price. We also had dinner at La Scala at the Katathani. Have to say that was one of the best dinners we had in Thailand.

Thai service is the best in the world. The staff were attentive and arranged anything we asked for within minutes.

If you are coming to Phuket then there is only one place to stay...The Shore! I'm glad we paid the higher price and went for the sea view. Best hotel I've stayed in!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wife and I went there last Feb, 2012 for our honeymoon. The room was setup with the honeymoon settings with towels folded/twisted into swans, flower pedals spread across the bed, it was perfect. Wife loved it and so it was worth every penny paid.

The room was clean and well-kept, everything worked like it's supposed to. Spacious and nice, but lacks a bit of flavor. The patio was great for chilling out, having breakfast and reading a book. Couldn't find many faults with the room, except the toilet was lacking ventilation. The sunbeds were great, and my favorite spot to lay about in the day time with a beer. Noticed ants crawling under the sunbed mattress on the last few days of our stay though. The pool was pretty, but sadly, water was a bit too cool for us for dipping/swimming the time that we went.

It was cool to lie around on the sunbeds looking down at all the beach goers enjoying our private space. (seaview pool villa) The view is beautiful.

Service was good, everyone was pleasant and polite. We did wait for a while at times for the golf cart to come pick us up to get down to the lobby, but only when it was "rush hour" before dinner time when many others were also heading down. Other than those times, service and the cart showed up fairly quickly.

Breakfast service was nice too, you write down what you like on a card the night before and hang it outside your door. They bring it to you at your chosen time, set out very nicely.

We'd definitely love to go back again one day.

Room Tip: Seaview if you don't mind the noise in the day time.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying the quality of rooms, service from staff and food were all excellent.
So why no 5*

Well for me if you're idea of relaxation is sitting by your room pool and reading or surfing the web then you're going to be disappointed. The Internet is near useless and consistently drops out. The bandwidth isn't good enough for video link and in my mind that isn't good enough for €400 a night. It need fixing for me to come back.
On top of that you haven't go security catches on the door which means you constantly have to be wary of very helpful staff entering the rooms.

So on the upside beautiful location, fabulous views, great staff and most relaxing place but please do get your Internet sorted!!

• Stayed June 2013
Katathani1, Manager at The Shore at Katathani, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Riverhouse 95

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us through Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Thank you also for your compliments towards our staff and I am also happy to read that you found our food excellent. I will pass your compliments to our Executive Chef.
I do truly apologize regarding the inconvenience you experienced using the internet in your Villa . Your complain has been brought to the attention of our IT department. We will certainly do our best to improve this service, and we hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back aShore to experience our improvements.
Once again I am sorry for this inconvenience caused to you during your otherwise perfect stay.
Sincerely yours,

Resort Manager

Been to The Shore at Katathani? Share your experiences!