“An enjoyable excursion for elephant lovers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 attractions in Kata Beach
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
adelaide
59 attraction reviews
“An enjoyable excursion for elephant lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This excursion wouldn’t normally be on our list of things to do, but we elected to join the 30 min trek to accompany a relative who was keen to have some close contact with elephants. The experience was made extremely easy by the mahout, such as mounting and being secured into the seat on the elephant’s back. The trek was a slow and careful climb through shrubs and trees until the summit was reached, when the mahout dismounted and proceeded to take photographs of the rider with my own camera as the elephant did the downhill climb. This was a bit precarious for the rider, as the seatbelt comprised a piece of narrow rope, and I had to hold on to the side of the seat to prevent myself from sliding forwards out of the seat. At the end of the trek, we had the opportunity to feed the elephants with bunches of bananas – these were available for a donation.
I really can’t enthuse over the trek, as I found it uncomfortable with the elephant swaying back and forth, and having to grip the sidebar of the seat to retain my balance on the uphill and downhill climbs – I’m sure the British Raj travelled in more comfort than we did! Nevertheless, our keen relative loved the experience and would, no doubt, love visit an elephant sactuary where she could have a different type of experience with maybe young elephants.

Visited February 2013

Melbourne, Australia
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm always wary of elephant treks because of the treatment of the elephants but the elephants here seem to be treated very well. The mahuts did not hit the elephants at any point, they are well fed, well washed and their workload is closely monitored. Kok Chang was fantastic! If you are looking for an elephant trek choose this one!

Visited March 2013
Sydney
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

As we have a 1yr old daughter we were a bit hesitant taking her for a ride but did want her to be able to see this amazing animal so close. I do love animals so I did take my time looking into all the different ones and I'm so happy I did this. We visited Big Buddha and drove past a few and was surprised to see so many baby Elephants standing out in the sun and the conditions of their homes, Kok Chang is the complete opposite. You can even feed bananas to the elephants for free or make a donation.

Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“Travelling in style and comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Divine, handsome, cute - I've always loved elephants from afar. Today I was lucky enough to get up close and personal with Yum Yum, a sweet 59 year old Asian elephant.

Riding on Yum Yum through through the bush in Phuket was a very pleasant way to spend the morning. My mother advised me not to squeal as it might frighten them and I'm pleased to report that there was nae a squealing situation. You simply climb the mounting platform and step onto her back and sit in the chair. She sways gently back and forth as she picks her path up the mountain.

There was no hitting or striking the animal, the guide was pleasant and a bit cheeky, he took lots of pictures (with our camera) and we weren't asked to pay for his trouble.

Feeding the elephants after with bananas is delightful.

This is a stress free activity in an otherwise holiday filled with negotiation.

I suggest that you prevail of Kok Chang's pick up and drop off service as it was about half the cost of a taxi.

Call or email Kok Chang about 48 hours before you want to go. If you are staying somewhere that is on Phuket taxi mafia turf (like we were) ask them to pick you up at a local restaurant or similar if picking you up is a problem (like it was for us) or ask them to come in the mini-bus.

I imagine that kids from 2 to 102 would love this activity.

Elephant is not my preferred mode of travel - should be interesting getting Yum Yum through customs...

Visited March 2013
3 attraction reviews
“An amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I spent a lot of time looking at different elephant trekking locations and companies in Thailand, I'm a huge elephant lover and wanted to go somewhere that the elephants are looked after and not made to do tricks or shows.
Kok Chang was everything I wished for!
The elephants were so well looked after; after every trek they are given a good shower and a rest, they are fed and given a drink.
When you arrive, you pay at the desk and then they guide you to your elephant, don't worry about your footwear because shoes have to be taken off when riding on the elephants. You can feed them bananas, as many as you like (for free or a donation I you choose) before and after the trek. They are incredibly friendly and very cheeky, Pancake the elephant even knows how to say thank you.
We rode on Pancake, which apparently is the best one because the guy lets you ride on her head, we did the full trek for 1000 baht and it was well worth it, the views were incredible.
When we got to the peak of the trek, the guy took my phone and spent the last half an hour taking pictures of us riding Pancake back to the hold, we took it in turns to ride on the back of her head, an amazing feeling (especially for an elephant lover like me).
You can buy drinks at the desk here, there are very clean restrooms and loads of shade, as well as places to sit for those who don't want to join in.
It's 15 minutes from Patong and an hour from Phuket airport.
Highly recommended, do not go anywhere else!