“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 20 attractions in Kata Beach
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Kok Chang Elephant Trekking Safari in set on a beautiful ocean viewpoint where the dense tropical jungle overlooks Kata Noi Bay. We offer various jungle routes riding on these Majestic animals from 20 minutes, or to the summit on 30 minute and 1 hour treks. Fully trained and experienced guide handlers will take you and your family through the dense tropical forest along paths and trails from the southwest corner of the beautiful Phuket island stopping at scenic beauty for photographs along the way. Get lucky and sit on the elephants neck. Children and adults are encouraged to stop by the banana kiosk to observe and feed the Elephants, there is no charge. This is a great photo opportunity and you can even touch the elephants trunk.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stroller parking
Timonium, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

After reading the great reviews of Kok Chang Safari, my wife and I were very excited about our elephant trek. I was a little hesitant about an elephant ride as there is some controversy to the ethics of it, but we talked ourselves into it as being OK and we believed there was no problem with it. We were wrong.

First, the guide or mahout doesn't tell you anything. No history, no descriptions of anything, nothing about the elephant, not even his or her name. All he does it take a bunch a pictures of you and occasionally give the elephant a good whack with the back of his bull hook.

Elephants are very amazing and large animals which is why people, including myself, want to get close to them and go for a ride. Do some research before you decide to ride an elephant. I think there is a lack of awareness on the topic which is why people still do it. Don't make the same mistake we made. The experience was overrated and felt no joy or excitement from the elephant ride.

London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“Great Elephant Trekking in the Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This is the third time that we've taken this trip.It makes for a wonderful hour in the hills above Kata and the environs.For sure the elephants are well looked after and the people that run the place are friendly and very welcoming.The views are outstanding from a certain part of the trek.We never felt uncomfortable at all.It's definitely 'a must' as it's such a great diversion from the beaches,shops and the general hustle and bustle of resorts.It feels like escapism.The ride is very relaxing and only a little bumpy in places.I'd say go for it as it's so very unique.There are bananas supplied for you to feed the elephants with,which adds to the whole pleasure of the trip.We also sat on the neck of the elephant which too feels quite special and very enjoyable.
Very well recommended.A great experience....

Camberley, United Kingdom
“Very good elephant trekking in South Phuket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I had done a lot of research into elephant trekking on Phuket as my girlfriend loves elephants and Kok Chang looked to be the best available.

Kok Chang is slightly out of the way if you don’t have transport (although they do offer a car service if required) but is easily found next to a main road. On the drive out there, we drove past numerous elephant trekking establishments, all of which seemed to specialise ATV rides and one was making a point about having a new baby elephant for people to see. We were both really pleased we pushed on for another 10 minutes and went to Kok Chang. It is set in a peaceful area, set back from a small main coastal road. There is a very nice bar where you buy your tickets and can stop off for a drink before and after. We opted for the 60 minute ride (I think it actually lasted 50 minutes) for 1000 baht each - it seemed a little expensive but I would prefer to pay more for well looked after elephants.

The trek itself was most enjoyable and unlike another trek I have been on, you don’t have to go out in groups which makes the experience all the more enjoyable. We were taken up quite a steep path through the forest for a while until we reached the top of a peak with great views over the coast. Here, our mahout jumped off and took some really nice photos of us on the elephant and we both took it in turns to sit on the elephants neck as she wandered down the hill side. We were shown several different things in the jungle, including some truly monstrous spiders and the rubber trees being tapped.

The elephants themselves look well cared for, and after our ride, the mahout took our elephant for a wash down to cool her off. We took some time to take some further photos and feed the elephants with some bananas.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and would return again if we come back to Phuket again

Denver, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
“Nice Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We did the 50 minute trek for 1000 baht each. The people were very friendly and we felt the elephants were treated well. It was our first time doing this and just like swimming with dolphins, once is enough.
There is a bar with beer and soda you can take with you on the ride.

The view from the top of the hill overlooking the ocean is fantastic and scenic.

Shanghai, China
“Location is great, but ride and service just so-so. Free bananas excellent!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Kok Chang is very close to the downtown, so it's much easier to go there and ride elephants than going up to the National Park for a full day. Price is ok (kindof expensive, but I'm ok with a premium for convenience). The venue is ok - I was worried it would be like fake since it's right near Kata, but it was quite natural and the terrain is mountainous, which makes for an interesting ride.

They let you feed the elephants bananas for free. Of course, there's a donation box which we contributed to, but it's nice that it's optional. The elephants look a little underfed, but beggars can't be choosers.

Two bad things:
Midway through our trek (30-minute trek), the guides stopped us and tried to sell us trinkets made of elephant tusks or whatever. They said we had to buy there, since they weren't allowed to sell back at the main launch area. We didn't want to be sold to - you know? We were just enjoying our elephant ride and then had to be made to feel like we were back on Patong beach fighting off hawkers. Not to mention that they were selling us stuff made of the very animals we were riding on. That seemed quite wrong to us and was disappointing. Even more disappointing was when we politely said "no thank you", our two (we had two elephants for the family group of 6) previously jovial guides became sortof unhappy pricks. Why do we need to be made to feel like bad guys because we just want to enjoy the elephant ride and not fight off hawkers?!

The other bad thing: one of the elephants (my elephant) was a little poorly behaved - - wandering off slightly - - and the handler started whacking the elephant on the head with his steel hammer/hook. The elephant suffered a cut and was bleeding a little bit. I recognize that they're wild animals and, yes, I'd prefer the elephant get a cut then run off with me and my son on his back...but...a little bit scary for my boy and my wife on the other elephant was saddened.

Anyway, aside from the above issues, it was a decent experience and something you can fit into your schedule quite easily.