“Loved Villareal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villareal Heights

Save Saved
You added Villareal Heights to your Saves list
Villareal Heights
214 / 14 Patak Road | Suksan Place,Tambon Karon, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 41 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Loved Villareal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Run by Phil and Jo, who are the loveliest couple I've met, Villareal Heights offer clean, comfortable rooms for outstanding value. Jo gave us a little tour of Kata and pointed out good restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble, from chasing up our dive operators, to booking airport transfers, giving us free coffee vouchers, organising a spa experience for us, to posting postcards! The service at Villareal really is the best part about the place. Wish I could give it 7 stars for service instead of just 5!

The room was a little dark, as we were given one facing the back of a cement wall, but it came with a kettle, fridge (with free water replenished daily), tv and ensuite. The room and bathroom was kept spotless - I felt really bad tracking in sand from being at the beach! There is also a lovely pool and cafe on the grounds, which we regrettably didn't have time to use.

Location wise, Villareal is a little further from the centre of Kata town, which can be a blessing given the noise and madness that a night in Kata can be. It is about 10-15minutes walk uphill across a busy street, so would not recommend for older folk, unless you have your own car or motorbike, or are planning to tuk-tuk/taxi everywhere. We walked everywhere and it was no hassle at all as everything is pretty close by.

Would recommend Villareal to all my friends!

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We only stayed for two nights at Villareal and we were treated as friends and higly valuable customers at the same time. The owner, Phil, wished us welcome, had given us a bigger room with better view than we booked, drove us around Kata and bought us a drink - all this for free! He showed us where to go and what to be careful with.
The check out day one of my friends had a terrible toothache. Phil arranged an appointment with his dentist, let my friend stay for free in the room (after check out time) and drove her for free to the dentist. And he still managed to take care of his other guests in the samme manner!

The hotel itself is clean and the rooms are big. It might be a bit more costly than some other options, but is is worth it.
It is a 10-15 minute walk to Kata beach, not a problem for us but not an option for people wanting to stay on a beach.

Thank you Phil for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Luang Prabang, Laos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The best part of the Villareal was Phil. He and Jo were extremely welcoming and helpful, with Phil offering to show us around Phuket and buy us a drink the first evening. In all my years of traveling, I've never experienced such service.

The room and hotel were very clean. I think it was slightly more pricey than I would expect for the level of quality, but in their defense, it was peak season. My only complaints were that our water wasn't consistently hot and the drain ran slowly. We didn't notify Phil about this as A) it wasn't a huge problem, and B) there probably wasn't anything he could do about it.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a warm welcome, clean, comfortable accommodations, and proximity to shops and the beach, Villareal is for you.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed in phuket for eight nights and stayed in five different hotels including five star hotel as we were going from one beach to another, but the family room that we got here was the best of the lot. It was sunny, clean and bright and had a nice view.

Phil is an exceptional host, on the night we arrived he took us for a spin to show us around in his car, and when we were leaving, since there was no room in his hotel, he personally drove us to our next hotel, which was nearby-- I thought that was amazing, cause this just goes to show what a wonderful human being he is, beyond being there just for business...

I wish more people did business like this, it would make the world such a better place...

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Hotel owner talked more than helped. Only help offered was to tell me restaurants down the road but did not offer any kind of transportation as with other guests. The hotel had a smell and was not that clean. No pool for this hotel, no breakfast. It should be 40USD a night or less. I paid way too much. Location is good but the area itself is grungy. Kata beach is nice but quite full on the day I went.

Room Tip: No view here - maybe ask for a room facing the alley rather than the wall and green weeds at the bac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Villarealheights, Owner at Villareal Heights, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest
  Thank you for your review and feedback, we greatly appreciate all types of feedback whether it be good or bad, BUT we do wish it to be accurate, so I have felt compelled to respond to your comments as i know who you are so i am able to write this accurate response.
1) You Booked through Agoda for one night in our Superior Room which is our cheapest room type and is not listed with any view at all with picture provided in Agoda- just plain gray wall. As it happens you were upgraded into a Deluxe Room which is a lot brighter and has a Balcony and view of the outside area. It does have a view of a Grey wall several meters away which is a boundary wall between us and  the adjacent land, and this is out of our control as we are limited to what we can do as we do not own that wall. As per your description of the front rooms "overlooking the Alley" we are a private estate road which is 10m wide being cleaned and well maintained and quiet, no stand by tuktuks noisy bars or selling stalls allowed inside.  I would certainly not describe it as an "Alley" or "Grungy area".  And front rooms are Suites with view of either the Ocean or Mountain . But as you booked the cheaper room you did not benefit from those views but were still given a free upgrade.
2) You arrived at Villareal Heights at 4pm and were shown the same welcome and support as we do to all guests on check in. My staff took you to your room and carried your luggage for you and showed you around your room. You had contacted me the day earlier by mail informing us that you will be staying in Patong on the 7th and coming to Villareal Heights on the 8th and QUOTE "Do we offer pick ups? i will be ready after 4pm please let me know!””. I contacted you back and informed you that it would be easier for you to take a taxi to us and the cost will be THB300. My reason for not offering you a pick up is because it would cost us too much money for someone staying just one night  on the cheapest room less 20% commission to AGODA and also there can be problems with Local taxi companies if they see Hotels collecting customers from outside, please read blogs on taxi issues Phuket and how expensive it is here,  for a better understanding on this.  It can be educational for you on your next trip to Phuket.
3) You were interested in doing Yoga and I assisted you while you sat with me in finding a place locally called "Kata Hot Yoga". You had heard about somewhere near Phuket Zoo and I informed you that it would cost around THB400 in a taxi one way just to go there. We agreed that Kata Hot Yoga which is around 3km from us would be better and i OFFERED to take you the next morning at 9:45am as the class started at 10:15am. Taking a tuktuk to this place will cost you between 200-300THB but I offered it to you for free to HELP you. It would be nice if you also have mentioned if you have  asked for any other help you required that was not assisted.   As you mentioned owner talked more than help and “did not offer any kind of transportation as with other guests”  Transport in Phuket is not cheap and we have to be very careful about what type of assistance we give guests because of the problems we may get from local taxi operators and we have to live and work alongside them as i mentioned above!
4) The next morning I waited for you to come down even though I had other guests to attend to and assist. You came down at 9:30am and told me you were going to have a coffee. You shortly came back and went back to your room and came down again. I spoke to you and you informed me that you were too tired from you previous few days diving activities and you wanted to have a "Lazy day" and relax and went off down to the beach. Please note that I had actually been waiting for you and given up time for other guests to support you, and was waiting for you as we had made an arranged time. I have no problem in you changing your mind this is of course your right, but i do have a problem with you saying you were not offered any transport like other guests!
5) You arrived back from the Beach at 12:40pm and checked out of your room at 1pm. You at no point had requested a late check out even though our check out time is 12 Noon and we had another guest coming into your room at 3pm. You were not charged for your overstay nor was it even mentioned. You just assumed it was ok to do that.  Well, it wasn’t but we didn’t mind.
6) You had not arranged a taxi to pick you up and we discussed the best options for the airport. You had taken the group Mini Bus when you arrived in Phuket and this costs THB180 per person and this same service from Kata back to the airport is THB250, but you had not booked it and it was 1pm and the earliest you could have possibly got that bus is 2pm and your flight was 4pm and the bus take upwards of 2hrs as it has to do many pick ups in the kata/Karon and Patong area. I told you that the best way and quite frankly the only option for you was taxi and we charge THB750 which is in line with most places if not a little cheaper, so we agreed and I booked you a pick up for 2pm. You could have declined and got a tuktuk from the main road by yourself if you preferred it but would have still paid the same money if not more. But I did HELP and gave you the best advice and only option as you were running out of time and i wanted to support you in the best way i could. If you had approached me the day before like other guests about airport transfer we could have booked you the Mini Bus which would have saved you money as a single traveler and that is the advice i would have given then.
7) I was a little busy around this time as i had a young German family with a 5yr old daughter to take on a small trip who were staying 6 nights with us in one of our Larger Deluxe rooms with a View. I got back before you left and helped you into your taxi and said good bye as i do with nearly all guests,
8) At no point in your few hours of stay  /  less than one day with us did you mention in problems with Cleanliness or issues with smell. All the rooms in our buildings have been recently re-painted and renovated and in the case of your particular room new dark tiles have replaced the damaged wooden floor.We pride ourselves on our staff and the work they do and if there had been problems in this area we would have liked to know about it as it is an area we have been very highly rated on and one thing that we would have approached quickly and dealt with. You did through the numerous conversations with me have ample time to relay your concerns to us and we could have investigated this for you, but you did not and we have only found out there was issues through your review at which point it is to late for us to substantiate your comments and correct our "apparent" mistakes!
To summarize, we have and always will do our best to provide the customers with the best experience possible. We have to on many occasions make judgment calls to what extent we can offer that support and as to how busy we are at the time. Please remember the showing of people around and doing local trips to support our guests is not a paid for service it is something we do if and when we can, and also can be based on length of stay and type of room booked and if the customer has booked direct or gone through an on line agent like Agoda who we have to pay 20% commission. You booked the cheapest  room through Agoda and for only one night! We have rooms on our website and online agents that can be booked with Breakfast which we started serving this November by the SWIMMING POOL. Yes, WE DO HAVE A POOL.   You did not book this which you could have done and you could have opted to book one of our many rooms with a view of the Mountains or even sea or Kata town  and you did not do this either.  You may view the pictures of the swimming pool that even show the breakfast area and it is also on all online websites. You can also have a look at the “views” of the surroundings on the taken by guests to our Hotel that have not been provided by us or manipulated in anyway to show us in a good light!

Philip Hubbard
Manager and Owner
Stone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This review is more about the owner,phil, than the hotel, although there is nothing to fault the hotel on either. We only stayed one night prior to a five day dive trip but the help and attention we received from phil needs writing about.
The room at the hotel was fret, big comfy bed, air con, clean and only a short walk into kata .so no problems there.
What makes this hotel worthy of a visit is the owner phil. He has great knowledge of the area and gave us a tour in his car on arrival pointing out good places to eat and drink.
In the rush to get the 6a.m. Taxi next say I left my valuables in the safe by mistake, wallet, driving licence and iPhone. A quick call to phil and they were safe and he brought them to out next hotel on our return from the dive trip. This is exceptional, phil is that kind of guy.
He then arranged a moped and some laundry for us, even though we were at another hotel. Need I go on.

If we return to kata/karon we will definitely stay at Villarreal .

A massive thanks to phil for all his help.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We loved our short stay here so much we came back! It is in a fantastic location between the two best beaches! This means you only have a ten minute walk to either one. When we got there the owner even took us out in his car to show us the best places to go to eat. The staff are wonderful and carried our stuff to our room and if you need anything at all they are happy to help. The pool is beautifully clean and has a small bar to get a nice cocktail while you relax. Really really really fantastic value and the rooms are fully equipped with a DVD player and good tv and free rental of hundreds of DVDs. We can't rate this place highly enough!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Villareal Heights? Share your experiences!