“An okay stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 3rd street cafe & Guesthouse

Save Saved
You added 3rd street cafe & Guesthouse to your Saves list
3rd street cafe & Guesthouse
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   100/3-4 Kata Road, Karon | Muang, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #24 of 45 Kata Beach B&B and Inns
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“An okay stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of our honeymoon and it was just ok.
We were upgraded which was great (for the 4 days we stayed, we were the only people there).
The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom nice. We did get half used mini bottles of shampoo and body wash and these were not replaced when we ran out which was all a little strange. The outlook wasn't great (we looked out to a large area of dirt and dumped rubbish from our room).
The restaurant was nice, the food was good and a reasonable price but the beer was old and flat.
The owner/reception/cook woman was really lovely and helpful. However, the cleaner and breakfast cook desperately needed some training and it would be good if she learned a little English so she can communicate with English speaking guests a bit.
She cleaned the room well but never topped up things we ran out of, I broke a glass which I went and told them but she never replaced it so my husband was drinking out of a medicine cup. We also came back from the beach after a rainstorm absolutely drenched and when we got to the room and got in the shower, we found she hadn't given us any towels so we had to use a hand towel.
She also made breakfasts which were not terrible but not great and every single morning she talked on her cellphone and served while she was speaking on speaker phone. I didn't mind if it was once, but doing it every morning seemed pretty rude and unprofessional and made us feel a but like we were getting in the way of her day. One morning, after getting up early other mornings to go on trips (and wanting a little bit of a sleep in) we were woken up just after 8am with loud banging on the door demanding we go down to breakfast as she had to go to town. The way she did it was quite rude and I feel that if she is working and we are paying for the service, we shouldn't feel like we are at boarding school.
The music was so loud outside and went until about 4am everyday. Some nights we left the tv on to drown out the terrible kareoke so we could sleep. The last night we stayed we got up at 6am to catch a plane and the loud drunken kareoke sounding music only stopped at 6.30am. Don't stay here if you need sleep.
It was pretty expensive for what it was but aspects of this place were good and the owner was lovely. I hope the girl working there gets some feedback and training and considering how quiet and empty it was, I hope they have more people staying there in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at 3rd street cafe for 4days and 3 nights in late October and overall we were pretty happy with our stay there.

The manager/owner(?) was very friendly and helpful. The room itself was clean with a nice bathroom.

The food at the cafe (thai food) was pretty affordable and delicious. This was one of the few places that had Thai iced tea, which my wife and I love.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach and the place is located near the night market.

You can also walk up to the Dino golf place and Karon and the shops from here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We had booked a room for 5 nights through bookingbuddy,com in August 2011 for a stay
January 2012. When we arrived in Phuket we spent the first night near the airport then
phoned 3rd street cafe to see if it was possible to arrive early and stay 1 extra night.
We were then informed that the 3rd street cafe had changed owners and they had no
availability!
We decided to go ourselves and find out what was happening, the houskeeper was very
helpful and found us alternative accomodation, we found out that the rooms were now
all rented out longterm and no longer provided meals or services in the cafe.

Room Tip: Do not book here
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The Kata Thai Cooking class (I think at a new location now than where listed on this site) was GREAT! Kelly is very professional and a great teacher and the food we made was SO GOOD! She picked me up and dropped me off at where I was staying in Rawai with no problems or extra fees. I highly recommend taking one or more of her classes. You can find her contact info at www.katathaicooking.com
Her English is also very good, for those of you who speak English.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Alexandra Headland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Just did the Kata Thai cooking class with Kelly and Sammy in Kata.
They picked 6 of us up from Karon and returned us via mini bus.
The best cooking class we have ever been on and the best food we have every tasted!
A must do on your Phuket Holiday! I just wish the two ladies would take me up on my offer of a free holiday in australia if they will cook dinner for me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I didn't stay at this guesthouse, but attended the evening cooking class there (KataThaiCookingClass.com) and really enjoyed it. They provided round trip to/from nearby Karon. Kelly, the instructor, is very friendly and makes the small class feel comfortable to ask any questions; also adjusts to your diet needs. Very clean kitchen as well. We all had our own work stations, which I really like. Don't eat before attending this class, had enough food to take away with us, which they were happy to wrap neatly for us to take. And the price 1400Thb is right. Would recommend.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was the first place I stayed in Thailand and the owner was very helpful. Because my flight did not land till after 1:00am in Phuket...it was a late night arrival but still she was very accommodating. The place was clean and very cozy. A good moderate location with one of the best restaurants next door for food I had in my whole stay in Thailand. Also uniquely, on Mondays and Thursdays of the regular season there was a wonderful local gathering of vendors of foods and goods in an outdoor bizarre that was very cool. Also some of the best and most unique food I had while in Thailand.
A great place to stay with very affordable pricing. I would come back again!!!
Just about a 7 minute walk to the beach.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to 3rd street cafe & Guesthouse? Share your experiences!