“Best hotel in Phuket for backpackers and mid-range travellers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa e Mare

You added Casa e Mare to your Saves list
Casa e Mare
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   90/9 Kok Tanod Road, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Paris, France
“Best hotel in Phuket for backpackers and mid-range travellers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Casa e Mare has probably the best value for money in Phuket. The rooms have budget prices (400 to 600 baths) but great amenities: Western bathroom (including a separate shower and free shampoo and shower gel), satellite TV, AC, comfortable bed...
Location is good, with two beaches within walking distance (10-15 minutes) and another one quite close too.
The hotel also has an Italian restaurant (great espresso!) and sells gelatto.
We will definitely go back if we can.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Thai first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Nice hotel, well decorated, large rooms. Hot shower (with glass doors- unusual in Thailand), A/C, free wifi. No free bottled water, or free hot drinking water in the hotel, or free breakfast (things that many other hotels in Thailand do provide) Owner willing to bargain for a good rate. Easy walk into town and beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Room was very good, staff was resonsive, Good rates on bikes, got me a taxi to airport very early,
Had a great time in Phuket,
Will stay here again next yr

Great Stay

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Washington, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

We booked this hotel based on the good reviews and photos from the other traveler but they are definitely not what we experienced. (please see my photos)

Location:
Good: not a long walk to Kata Beach
Bad: No one knows where it is. We took the airport bus which dropped us off at the wrong location, we dragged our luggages and couldn't find the place. Couldn't find a tuktuk that would stop. Managed to make a phone call answered by a Thai lady who doesn't speak much English, finally the lady of a massage place next to the phone booth helped told her where we were and she said she would come. A Thai lady showed up on a bike with an Italian who didn't talk nor look at us. She tried to waive a couple of tuktuk to no avail then finally got one who wanted to charge us more than what we paid from for the airport bus. Then she said she got to go and drew us a "map" then left! We walked 2 blocks in the heat and finally found a tuktuk that would take us. He couldn't find the place neither and phoned 3 times but no answer, this was 4pm, no one answered at the hotel??? Finally asked at least 5 people and found the place. The owners came out and greeted us, we told them no one answered the phone, they just shrugged their shoulders and conveniently like they don't speak much English (mind that I don't judge people by their fluency of English as it is my second language too). So remember it is hard to find, they will charge you 1000 baht for pick up but taxi will cost only 750.

Room:
Really small, our windows open up to windows of another building, definitely not what the photos show. And when you make reservation there is no different grade of rooms to choose from. Bed is big as other review but it took up the whole width of the room. There is no shower curtain nor doors so when you take a shower, the whole bathroom/toiler get wet.

Service:
Not much to mention about, we were always the one to say hello first. It is a gathering place for Italian, we often walked by and the staff or owners were always talking among themselves and didn't even acknowledge we were there. They have a firm policy that if you don't let them clean the room by 2pm it would not be cleaned that day. As for security, we were told to put our keys in a key box behind the office desk which marked "Staff Only" and picked it up when we returned, if we could do that so did anyone else!! No one checked whether we were taking the right key.

While this place is a short walk to the beach the surroundings is not very appealing (see photos) There are much better place to stay than this, even next door, the Kata Lucky Villa seems like a decent place and more secure. We arranged a taxi from the laundry lady across the street for 800 baht rather than pay 1000 from the hotel, after all they never asked if we need transport or anything to that matter.

Definitely will not go back and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

An excellent hotel I stayed in recently in Kata Beach Phuket was the " Casa e Mare Hotel " this was an Italian owed hotel, run by Terry and his partner, both were extremely friendly and helpful.
The hotel is approximately one year old so is very modern and clean , the rooms have excellent large beds, Cable TV, Ceiling fan ,Fridge, very good shower, and more than efficient Air conditioning, and all rooms have a balcony (not that i used mine much).

For a full review of local shops and amenities, Thai airways, bars, Kata Beaches, eating out and what to avoid see my blog at - http://phukethotelandholidayinformation.blogspot.com/

Best wishes Graham Ross

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

I was recommended Casaemare by one of the TA members...and I am so glad I went with my instincts here. I liked what she had said about the hotel, that it was very friendly and had a family feel to it. And she was so right. The hotel is run by an Italian couple and the manager and his gf are Italians as well. If you are not interested in staying in big hotels run by impersonal staff, this is the hotel for you.

I felt like I was staying with friends. I doubt it's easy to find a hotel with such friendly staff and most of the guests in the hotel are also extremely friendly. I was traveling by myself and this place was just for me.

The hotel is nice and clean and is just 5 mins walk away from Kata beach. It has an icecream parlor and this icecream parlor is no ordinary one - the icecream here is home made and to die for:-)

I had a wonderful time in this hotel and I would have extended my stay if I could - this hotel is run by genuine , honest, friendly people and they are very accommodating. I was unable to make a bank transfer to make a reservation and they were alright with me making the payment once I arrive..who does it these days???? They made a booking for me even without my making an initial payment. Thank you, Leila:-) Much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Malvika

• Liked — Friendliness of the management and the staff and the family feel of the place
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

I cannot fault the service and the friendliness of the staff and Italian proprietors of this very tastefully decorated, comfortable and very clean hotel. They are so helpful, extremely polite and very courteous.

I do however, have a gripe/regret in the fact that this is the 7th or 8th time I have been to Kata/Phuket and had not previously discovered this gem of a place before.

The location is great, a family mart (supermarket) almost next door, a fabulous authentic Italian ice cream parlour (Casa Del Gato) immediately next door, an Italian Trattoria opposite serving hand made pastas, wood fired pizzas made to order for both eat in and take away. Now, believe me, I love Thai food but being a westerner from London in UK, occassionally get that craving for some European food, go there and you will not be disappointed, the friendly, unhurried service from the Thai staff and Italian cook, even the owner of Casa e Mare (Eddy) pops over to lend a hand and share a vino tinto with his wife(Lorella).

The Hotel is only 6 or 7 minute walk to the wonderful Kata Beach and many little bars and restaurants. Room rates differ according to the seasons and the owners may be willing to negotiate rates for longer stays.

I really don't want to gush too much over this place, and to be honest, I'd much rather it stayed 'undiscovered' but the truth be known... you can't keep a secret forever and you just gotta tell someone...... right...?

I will definately be booking this place again for my return visits, a little gold mine that I will be sorry to say 'Ciao' to when I leave in a few days......

Eddy and Lorella.... thank you to you and your staff for making me feel so welcome.

• Liked — Welcoming staff, location, atmosphere...... everything....... ;0)
  • Disliked — Not finding it before, and having to leave....... ;-(
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa e Mare? Share your experiences!