“sugarpalm grand hillside” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside

Save Saved
You added Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside to your Saves list
Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Khoktanod soi 3, Kata Road | Kata Beach, Muang, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
Wellington, New Zealand
“sugarpalm grand hillside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Checkin was a shambles,see above,but rest of stay without complaint. Rooms were clean and serviced each day efficiently.breakfast has variety enough to suit all tastes.pool could be cleaned more often but used beach most days.proximity to shops and restaurants excellents and although we are older the hill is not a problem

Room Tip: Check in was very poor. Told us pool access room we had booked was not available and offered us room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived in Phuket and found out that the rate for a taxi to Kata cost around 1000 baht. But there is a tour agency service whereby we paid 200 baht each for a one way transfer to Sugar Palm Grand Hillside. Took a mini van with 7 others. The downside for this cheap ride are: they will drive you to their office which is 5 minutes away and advise you to buy their tour packages for a good 10 minutes. If you are not interested, just be firm in saying no thanks. But their tour packages are of reasonable price. The other down side is it takes more than an hour to reach our hotel because the mini van went into patong beach to drop off other passengers. Hotel quoted us 1000 baht per car per way for the transfer. Reasonable price if you don't want to squeeze with others on a minivan!

The check in was prompt and pleasant! We were given a room on the 8th floor (which we had to change 2 lifts in order to reach our room but no issue there). The room was gorgeous! Comfortable bed with 2 firm and 2 soft pillows for you to choose! Love the balcony especially! We booked the most basic room. We saw quite a few fireworks show from our balcony at night! The tv comes with a DVD player, and the drinks in the minibar (a beer, a coke and 2 bottles of water) are all on the house.

The toilet has got a huge and clean bathtub, and a separate shower with rain shower.

Breakfast was very disappointing, the spread was little and there are a lot of flies flying around the food.

Kata beach is only 5 minutes or less away from the hotel. It cost around 500 baht (we got it at 400 baht because the taxi guy didn't get any customer for the better part of the day!) to get to Patong beach if you want to visit the night market and clubs there.

The major downside of our stay here is that even with the do not disturb sign on, the cleaner still went into our room every single day to clean our room. So no idea why is there an option of putting do not disturb in the first place. If you plan to leave your room for a long period of time, remember to lock your valuables!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had really nice weekend here. Located 5 minutes from the beach, the hotel offered friendly hospitality, clean and quite room with all necessary facilities. It's worth mentioning unusual concrete design of the room that made us feel comfortable, cozy, and romantic at the same time. Also we enjoyed swimming in the sea-view pool of black. In general it seams to be good combination of price and quality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've actually booked for Sugar Palm at Karon Beach but they have transferred us on the next day due to their swimming pool closure without informing us in advance. However once we reached to Sugar Palm Grand Hillside, realized that it's much better than one at Karon. Loved the swimming pool but no lights at all after 6pm moreover tiles are black color and view from the top of the hotel overlooking to the sea. 5 mins walk to the beach and just steps down from the hotel to find the eateries easily. Breakfast was normal and the service was quite standard. Over staffed but they were not efficient enough to go for extra miles. They provide a Mac for pool access room is awesome but normally batteries for mouse and keyboard is flat. (Room attendances's initiative will solve the issue). After all we have enjoyed our stay there with my friends for 3 rooms 3 nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my second stay at Sugar Palm Grand Hillside since my first over three years ago and it was exactly as I remembered fondly.

We arrived late on Friday night, and the staff were friendly and prompt with checking us in and showing us to our room. I had originally booked a pool access room but changed at the last minute when a girlfriend decides to join me - the pool access only had king beds so in order to get twin beds (a double and a single) we had to "downgrade" to a spa suite with a jacuzzi on the balcony which we sadly didnt use! Actually, we didnt end up using the pool either, opting instead to wander down the road a few hundred meters to Kata Beach. Our room had a lovely view though I think would have been slightly better is we had been in the first building on level 4 - just that much closer to the pool I think would be a clearer view of the beach. We were on level 9 so further towards the back of the building with no view of the pool and just glimpses of the beach. But it was still lovely.

The room was clean and the beds were exceptionally comfortable - not the usual hard Thai beds, which was a nice relief! The bathroom is on the small side but the shower is large with a waterfall shower head which is always lovely after a day in the sun.

We made great use of the day spa facilities! The treatments were quite cheap and the girls were extremely lovely. It's tough competition in this are of Kata as there are spas everywhere but of you're staying here I can highly recommend it! I had a body scrub the first day and went back for a body wrap and facial - sublime.

Breakfast was included in our room and was plentiful and fresh.

We negotiated a late check out in lieu of our room downgrade which was handy for our late flight.

If you book airport transfers through the hotel expect to pay 1,000-1,200 THB each way. A transfer at the airport to Kata was 900 THB. Metered taxis seem to be hard to come by.

If you have a day, make sure to hire one of the brightly colored vans to take you on a drive of Phuket Old Town - gorgeous. A half day cost is 1,100 THB. He was great.

Looking forward to future stays here, not as far apart next time!

We booked a

• Stayed June 2013
Kabul, Kabol, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked this on short notice and were leary until we arrived at the hotel and then the girls eyes lit up and my friend and I looked like trip heroes! The views were awesome from the balcony (try to get 4th flr or better). The room was spectacular with a huge bathroom and tub. The location while not on the beach was very close to the downtown areas and beach was less than 5 mins walk. If you have difficulty with hills, might not be the best place

• Stayed June 2013
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

PLEASE BEWARE OF YOUR MONEY!

Having been an avid and savvy world traveler across the globe for both business and personal, I have never had a sub-par experience like I did at the Sugar Palm Grand Hillside. I had paid for the upgraded pool access room. Like other previous reviewer mentioned in the month before, we too experienced NO HOT water during our entire stay of 5 nights (it seems like this happens quite often considering other reviews from previous guests). On the first night when we discovered this after taking a cold shower, we called the front desk and they said they are looking into it (should have informed us as we checked in because I'm sure other guests would have complained). The next morning, we approached them again to only find out that the entire hotel does not have hot water and that in order for the technician to fix the broken "valve", parts would need to be ordered all the way from Bangkok (hotel is in Phuket). There were other guests who complained and the hotel offered to shuttle us to their sister hotel; we went over to check out the rooms, but clearly it was less quality than our current hotel (and when checking the online rate, it was also a substantial difference in price). Instead of moving hotels, they opted for us to get a complimentary Thai massage in their spa, which we took. This is where things get INTERESTING, as a nice gesture turned completely sour.

Unfortunately, we were pick pocketed by our own masseuse! They stole from us $1500 baht from our wallet (equivalent of $49.50 USD). I had learned that pick-pocketing is frequent and prevalent throughout Phuket, but I had never imagined that it would happen at a reputable 4 star hotel that should be well managed, and within its own resort spa! And they were clever enough to not take everything, just enough to not be obvious and noticeable. But we noticed! Both my wife and I had a couples massage and after tipping them, we found that we had two notes missing. We only had 4 notes in my wallet (2 $1000 baht, 1 $500 baht, and 1 $100 baht). Again, I am an avid traveler and keep track of every expense through every day and I had checked the exact amount in my wallet prior to the massage because I wanted to make sure I had the correct amount for tip. When I had found out that my 1 $1000 baht and 1 $500 baht cash was missing, I approached them diplomatically about the missing money and told them the only time my wallet was out of sight during the massage. I didn't want to be accusatory, because I wanted to let them know that I knew, in hopes that they would just come forward. Of course they acted like they had no clue and my wife and I didn't want to have a full on confrontation because we knew situations like this would end up nowhere and we didn't want it to dampen our trip further. That amount was small to us, but it was more about the principle of trusting our own staff who appeared friendly and caring. We also learned a valuable reminder lesson that really nothing in life is ever free or complimentary, as the 2 massages we got for free, really costed us the amount of 4 massages and annoyances for the rest of our stay at Phuket. We left with a very sour taste about this hotel and ask potential guests who do decide to choose this hotel to PLEASE BEWARE OF YOUR MONEY AND BELONGINGS and BE ALERT OF PEOPLE AROUND YOU AT ALL TIMES.

Other cons about our stay was that while we did get a pool access room that was very private, the room opposite of our pool was under renovations, so there were workers outside everyday who just stared as us, which made swimming in our pool very awkward and uncomfortable. Also, the breakfast buffet felt unsanitary when they have coffee creamer sitting outside and staff would spray down the tables while cleaning. We could see cleaning spray go into the creamer to be ingested by the next guest. We witnessed one waitstaff who used the same Asian broom for sweeping floors used it on the buffet table next to food (ewww). Service is mediocre at best and careless at worst!

For what it's worth, we had a good view from our room. But that will not be enough to keep business afloat during this time and evident by a hotel that is extremely vacant with many renovations.

UPDATE: We emailed the hotel management to give honest feedback regarding the incident and for this pickpocketing issue to be addressed. They quickly responded to say that the spa was an outsourced company but things like this was hard to prove or enforce. They offered us a free dinner to make up for the stolen money, but unfortunately we had long left Phuket. There were many ways this could have been corrected when we informed both the spa staff and the front desk; it is now too late.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside? Share your experiences!