I stayed here in October, and had a pleasant week in a first floor room (called 2nd floor in Thailand) with pool view. Minimalist, cement finish, but spacious. Wonderful room service with real crockery and excellent value food. The minibar has free drinks each day. Thai beds do tend to be firm, generally, but I slept just fine. The lobby is impressive, and the staff are really excellent. The breakfast room is also impressive, and the food is good, and unlimited. The pools were quite cold, but just about ok .... the sea is only a very short walk away and Kata beach is really lovely.
I had no problems with slopes.... the lift worked and there are no stairs to climb anywhere - there is a slope which is easy to run up and down (I am 56). Reading the other reviews, people grumble about lots of things, but I thought it was a fairly classy place. It all depends on how much you pay! There are special offers for this hotel, some of which are great value. I wouldn't pay full price though, as there are lots of places offering good value in Kata.
For restaurants nearby ... Try 'The Two Chefs' which is Swedish owned - great food and really recommended. Choice of desserts, all of which I enjoyed, even though I normally hate desserts! Good female singer/guitarist, lovely atmosphere, reasonable price. For travel agent / trips, there is a really lovely lady on the slope right near the hotel who was just perfect. And finally - for those who moan about the slope - don't be so lazy... if there were to be another Tsunami, you would be very glad to see it, and I'm serious about that. Kata was hit by destructive waves, as were most other beaches. It's a lovely beach, with refreshing sea. Children need to be watched all the time, it goes without saying. I will go back there, but only in the recommended season Oct - March(?) I think.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, trendy treat and giving you a new kind of stylish sensual experience surrounded by cascading water from eleven multi-tiered infinity swimming pools set among beautiful tropical gardens, with superb views of Kata Beach and beyond from the chic and contemporary rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Sugar Palm Grand Hillside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel Kata Beach
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Kata
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Phuket/Kata Beach