Having been to numerous resorts including up market one like Banyan Tree, i would say that Sugar Palm Hillside is not bad, considering that I am paying a lot lesser than those high end resorts. Charges are about USD56 per day which is very reasonable during low season.
There is an estimated 35 degree slope leading to the hotel lobby which may be quite difficult to navigate when the road is wet, but it was dry throughout my stay there.
For the details, I stayed at room 1602 which is a Grand Jacuzzi Deluxe on the 6th floor. The first lift will bring you to the 4th floor, and then walk along a corridor to the second lift which will go from 4th to 9th floor. There are some more levels from 9 to 13 without lift and have to walk up the slope to go to the room. If you do not want to take the lift, you can either walk up the slope by the side or the stairs leading to those pools in the middle. This place might post a problem for those who have difficulty walking, but for the able-bodied it is not too difficult and good exercise. I smoke and do not exercise regularly, and do not find it difficult myself.
There is one restaurant at the resort next to the lobby which serves breakfast only, but you can order room service at other time.
The room was in urban minimalist decor with heavily used of cement, glass and wood and quite spacious with big shower and clean toilet. Toiletries provided include shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, ear bud, shower cap and tooth brush. We had a queen size and a single bed in the room, and a full size fridge, safety box, umbrella, hairdryer & hot flask, bathrobe, room slipper and croc shoe. On top of these, they have a 32in wall mount Samsung LCD with DVD player. I don’t really use DVD anymore and brought my iPad to connect to the TV via HDMI (bring your own cable) to watch movie while I am there. The Mac mini was no longer provided. Free wifi too but average speed and sometime no connection due to router hanged.
The balcony is quite big with 2 chairs and a table. Instead of a bath tub in the toilet, our room comes with a Jacuzzi tub at the balcony. One thing no good is that the balcony is facing a construction site (god knows how long it will take for the site to be ready) and minimum sea view. Another issue is that the Jacuzzi tub is quite exposed with the glass walled balcony and I don’t see many people using them. They should at least have some rattan blind installed there, which can also block the afternoon sun which can be glaring at the balcony. Watch out for the occasion fireworks at night and people letting off sky lanterns from the beach too.
The service staff don’t talk much but I guess they are shy as they do not speak good English, but not as bad as what some says in their review. For such a reasonable rate, please do not ask for the sky. If you expect better service, do not come here and try Banyan Tree instead and pay an arm and leg for your stay there. :)
Outside the hotel on the main road, you can find numerous shops selling things from tour package, groceries, roadside stalls, massage, convenience store for beer and drinks, restaurants, souvenirs and fake t-shirts, car and bike rental, etc. it is also about 5 minutes walk to the beach.
Overall quite a pleasant stay.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel Kata Beach
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Hotel
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside
- Sugar Palm Grand Hillside Kata
- Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside Phuket/Kata Beach
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, trendy treat and giving you a new kind of stylish sensual experience surrounded by cascading water from eleven multi-tired infinity swimming pools set among beautiful tropical gardens, with superb views of Kata Beach and beyond from the chic and contemporary rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, HostelBookers, Priceline, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Sugar Palm Grand, Hillside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.