“It was ok I suppose” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kata Beach Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Kata Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Kata Beach Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Pakbang Road | Tambon Karon,, Kata Beach, Phuket 83100, Thailand   |
Ranked #31 of 51 hotels in Kata Beach
Liverpool
“It was ok I suppose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our first time to kata beach and to be honest I would not go again. Our first night we were siting in a restaurant/bar in the hotel and a cockroach and a rat ran along the wall, well safe to say we didn't go back there again. The hotel itself is nice and the staff are friendly enough. When we booked we asked for a sea view when we arrived they had upgraded us to a room with a pool which looked right onto a brick wall, we asked to be moved and good enough they moved us two days later to a fantastic room, think it must've been one of the biggest rooms there with a sea view which was good considering the amount of time we had to spend in there with us all being ill for the majority of the holiday and the weather (though it is the rainy season but 7 days out of the 10 was a bit much) I know they cannot control the weather but if you are looking to book don't go in the rainy season. My daughter and myself used the spa that is definitely worth a go but be mindful is quite expensive in comparison to the massage shops outside. The beach was also quite nice though the water was very choppy and there was quite a bit of rubbish floating about in it. I am afraid this was a holiday we were all glad to come home from. Since being home we have all still been ill after picking up some sort of bug over there.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views. Ask for a room with a pool or sea view otherwise you will be in a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

724 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks in June/July we were put at the side of the hotel with partial sea view, there was lots of complaints sbout this part of the hotel as it stunk of paint and plaster! The room was nice but from about 10pm the music from the club which is very close was loud in the room (we could not hear the TV) I called reception at 1am to complain who told me I could sleep at 3am when the club shuts! He then put the phone down on me. The reception staff here are far from friendly but hopefully you don't need to speak to them much! The next day we spoke to the manager who apoligised and moved us to a near by hotel (orchid) for 2 nights in a pool access room (I prefared this hotel) we then returned to kata resort and stayed in a ocean deluxe which was lovely! The breakfast here is nice, we ate once here as we had a free meal the food was really nice BBQ meats/fish pasta rice ect. The location is great, straight onto the beach from the pool, the sea was very rough and lots of people being rescued throughout the day be careful not to end up in Rip tide it is very scary! Overall I loved it here and would go back without hesitation!

• Stayed June 2013
Rotorua, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great location right on the beach, large pool, comfortable rooms and excellent buffet breakfasts. Staff are generally friendly but not too many speak comfortable English. The resort doesn't police its own policy of not allowing guests to reserve loungers which is a bit annoying. Air conditioning was loud but the room was large, reasonably modern, clean and comfortable. Though we had booked a king bed we were given two singles on arrival and had to change rooms for the right bed. We also asked for and received a topper pad for the bed as they are very hard beds. The dinner theme nights are delicious - a bit pricier than restaurants outside the hotel but lovely food for about NZ$20 per person. We stayed during low season but it was still pretty busy. Nice Thai meals across the road were as low as $NZ4 (100 baht), Mojitos were the same price and excursions were less than half their advertised prices. Happy hour at the resort was only 30% off their higher than outside prices, and they also apply tax to the advertised prices. A suit and 3 shirts tailored cost me $NZ300 from one of the many tailors in the streets outside the hotel. The area is particularly nice and a little quieter than Karon and much quieter than Patong. The beach is a surf beach in the low season and flattens down in high season. All in all we loved our stay at the Kata Beach Resort and would gladly return one day.

Room Tip: Book a room behind the pool with the ocean views or one of the private swim up pools if you want the...
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife Sue and I recently stayed for 12 nights at the Kata Beach Resort - we both enjoyed the friendly service and found our room to be very comfortable, great view over the front garden and ocean. If you are thinking of staying at Kata Beach then this is the hotel to stay at - great location.
Many thanks to the staff and management. Cheers Michael and Sue

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at this resort for our honeymoon in late April, when arriving we found the staff to be quite unfriendly and couldn't speak a lot of English. We had booked to stay in a pool access room for 7 nights... Well only on our second night stay, the resort had a big Gala dinner event happening (all the staff were very preoccupied with this) we had decided to go watch the Thai boxing in Patong as the event in the resort didn't interest us, after being picked up around 7pm and returning at approx 1.30am we went straight to our bed as normal after a big night.
waking up the next morning to find that our back door was broken and had been open all night without us knowing, then my husband went to get some paper work out of our safe to find that we had been ROBBED! Both our Passports, Bank cards, wallets, some money, Ipod, cologne everything gone!!!
After notifying the staff, we are told that it is not only us but 8 other rooms too, (why we weren't told the night before I don't know?? because others were moved out of their rooms already)!! in total shock the saga started but having to phone family back home, ring our bank to have our cards cancelled, ring embassy's, travel agent etc. etc.... MASSIVE inconvenience as we were actually meant to be doing a day tour to the islands that day, so that was not happening! a few staff we in our room just telling us to pack up our stuff, but not saying much else.. no one wanted to talk about it to us! very suspicious... this is not what you want on your honeymoon! so then we are told that we need to go to the police station to do a police report, when we arrive there the 'tourist police' cant speak any English! so someone from the resort has to translate for us.. and its like well how much of this is actually getting through. so after spending 3 hours doing that we still walk out of there without the report... telling us that they still need to finish it?!?! so still left in the dark about everything that has gone on we return to the resort they have moved us into another room (a very less expensive room then we had paid for!) we have to start organizing what the hell we are going to do about our stolen passports and no money situation, not too concerned about other valuables at the time. There is no Embassy in Phuket.... so we find out we have to fly to Bangkok to get new emergency passports.... again MASSIVE inconvenience!!! we also have no access to our money, our family offers to send us cash through the western union... but you need a passport to be able to receive money from a western union outlet... so much to our disgust we had no other choice but to put the money into the hotel managers name (not really what you want to do when your valuables have been stolen from his resort!)
we then have to argue with the resort staff to pay for us to fly and stay in Bangkok to visit the embassy's, they were very resistant and unhelpful in doing so... I mean this was not our fault... its all lying on the resorts responsibility! After many painful conversations we finally got a flight and 1 nights accommodation paid for from them... not knowing how long we would have to spend in Bangkok sorting out the passport situation?? so leaving for Bangkok we lost 3 nights we had paid for at the kata beach resort and not to mention days of wasting time organizing crap! After visiting the embassy on the first day, we find out that we will have to spend another 2 nights in Bangkok to get new passports, so more money coming out of our pockets and more time wasting on our honeymoon!!! (this was a very painful experience running around from the Australian and british embassy's, also had to reorganize my husbands visa to his new passport... all a huge stressful experience you never want to have to go through epically on your honeymoon !!
we also lost a nights accommodation in Koh samui and the cost of cancelling and rebooking flights.... its all adding up so by now we are about over $2000 out of pocket... money we never intended on spending!! finally we fly and spend our last few nights in koh samui, then return home... The saga does not end there I receive an email from the resort 'claiming' that they have caught the person responsible for 'breaking' into our safes and stealing valuables and they have recovered some of the items... and again they want a list and description of what was taken, (we have already been through this with the police!!) so again I tell him what was stolen from us and it takes days for the manager to get back to me, then oh no sorry your passports arnt here, but we might have your ipod but need more evidence that its yours, well I tell him all I can about the ipod, and week later gets back to me oh no sorry again but I cant say it belongs to you...
Wasting more of my time and holding up my insurance claim, why bother contacting me giving me false hope that we would get some of our items back!
Now 5 months later I am still dealing with the hassle of insurance claims, as they arnt paying us out for the total amount we are out of pocket, approx $3000 - $4000!!!!

So to any person that is thinking of staying at this resort... don't even think twice about it... I would never want anyone else to go though the same experience as we did, as we feel cheated of our honeymoon that was meant to be an amazing holiday, but it was ruined by staying at this resort!!!!

It was very very suss to us as when we found out that our safe was 'broken into' it was locked, looked as normal until it was opened and seen everything was missing... now after opening the safe wont close?? because it has been broken into with a crow bar?? this does not add up when you think about it, how can you crow bar the top of a safe to open it? you cant because there are two metal bars that lock into the side... and really who 'breaks' into a safe and locks it up again... you cant... ITS BROKEN!?! they have opened it up with a master code, taken what they liked and closed it up then made it look like it was broken into by using a crow bar to bend the top of the door!
this must have been someone that had access to our room and a master code for all safes in the resort... an clearly organized crime! I have no doubt in my mind that probably the hotel staff were in on it too!

Just have a watch of this video and see how easy it is for a staff member to have access to your safe, where you think your valuables are safe?????

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Kata beach resort and spa was without a doubt the best hotel we could find from Kata throught Karon to Patong.
The staff was friendly and just a "PLEASE" away from helping you with whatever your needs are. The rooms are clean aircon works fine breakfast was well prepared the view was awesome and the drinks cold. Passing the pool you were on the beach. Best place if you have kids who like the beach but are not allowed to cross busy roads. All the other hotels have a very busy road between the hotel and beach.
We had restaurants all around us with an excellent massage parlour across the road from the entrance to the hotel, no ladies this is not for happy endings! This is a genuine massage parlour with a 2 hour session for only 1400 Baht. We could hire scooters by walking out the gate and enter the closes ed shop.
We are already planning our next trip and it would most definitely be at The Kata beach resort.

Tenafly, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My family and I have stayed here several times over the last 8 years. The best attributes of this hotel are the location and the pool. Kata beach is still only moderately developed, with no high rises, and reasonable crowds. The resort pool is big and terrific, although people have annoyingly taken to reserving lounge chairs at 6 and 7 a.m. like in Aruba.

The hotel is Thai owned and not part of a global or Western chain. In the past, I have liked that, as it has been a more authentic experience. However, they are presently trying to be more western by jacking up their food, service, and drink prices and making Thai food that is not the way Thai people would expect it. At the same time, they make Western food which is pretty bad. Don't get the dinner buffet.

The breakfast remains very good.

The rooms are simple, clean, and well appointed.

We reserved Ocean view rooms, but we got rooms looking over the street. They said that they were full.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kata Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!