“good place for a conference though the meals are small” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   290 Pacific Highway | Newcastle, Charlestown, Lake Macquarie, New South Wales 2290, Australia (Formerly Quality Hotel Apollo International)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
LOW RATE, GUARANTEED!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Charlestown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
South West Rocks, Australia
“good place for a conference though the meals are small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Try to get a room at the back not facing the hiway.
I had a room at the back that opened onto the gardens. Beautiful. Peaceful night sleep, others at the conference were kept awake by the highway noise at the front. The room was of a good size and the bathroom was very clean. It comes with a stocked mini bar. The meals in the restaurant were small (they have been watching my kitchen rules,) With a piece of protien and yummy sauce but with little to no veggies which left many feeling hungry. The staff are happy and very capable and willing to help no matter how small the problem, pat them all on the back. The compedium told me there was a gym but dosnt tell you where to find it and I didnt ask so I didnt go.

Room Tip: High roors at the front capture the highway noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey and sharing with all your recent stay at our property.

In regards to your views of the noise from the highway - I must note that I find this statement most confusing as the majority of our guests that stay here, either verbally or on Tripadvisor, comment how surprised they are on how quite all seems when in their room.

I must also note that the meals arranged for the conference delegates are decided in advance with the organiser designated by the company. These meals are based on budgets set by the company and are generally of the idea that there are 3 course meals. The other factor that must be considered is when conferencing there are generally up to 5 meal breaks a day.

I will express to all the staff members concerned your appreciation to the service received, it is always very encouraging to hear positive and constructive feedback like this. If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed in queen room for two nights for business in Charlestown. Overall the stay was very comfortable and I would definitely stay there again. It appeared to have been recently renovated and was overall in very good shape.

Pluses : large spacious room with lounge area and iPod/iPhone (4s) dock. Room was of good quality with modern feature wall. Room included a balcony with outdoor table and chairs with direct view of bushland, which was really nice. The Mor bath products (Snow Gardenia) were also particularly nice touch of luxury and it is one of the first times I’ve used hotel products in a long time.

Staff were helpful and reliable with wake up calls and cars occurring as scheduled etc. There is a nice pool and small gym. Free wifi (up to 3 gb ). Plenty of parking for people driving and the rooms would easily fit two children as well as adults so suitable for families in transit. Mini bar etc. Very economical for a large room especially considering balcony.

Minuses- No bath! Location is not really near much entertaining (eg water) so you need a car or taxi to get around. Although generally clean and modern feeling there was a stain on my bedspread (hidden under the bedspread at the end) and the flyscreen on my balcony door was broken.

Verdict: Comfortable reliable economic hotel with some nice touches. Suitable for business visitors, people in transit or families (contingent on location).

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony overlooking the bush.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESETERN PLUS Apollo International, we truly appreciate you sharing about your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear that our friendly Team Members were able to enhance your stay with the superior level of service we strive to provide all of our guests!

Having newly extended and refurbished the entire hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price. Whilst extending we opted to make most of the accommodation rooms with walk in shower access as a large portion of our clients are corporate guests that prefer this. However we do have baths available on request as we understand that there always will be a need for them, these are usually given to guests on request.

I have spoken to both the Housekeeping and Maintenance team in respect to the stain and flyscreen and have had these rectified. I apologise that these were not seen to prior to your arrival and will endeavour to ensure that this does not re-occur.

We welcome you back home on your next stay in our wonderful city of Newcastle, and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

The first impression when walking in wasn't very good. There was a odour of disinfectant...we were wondering what happened there...The desk staff however we're very efficient and friendly and attended to check in swiftly. Walking to our superior room down the corridors, I didn't have huge expectations. I could tell the place had a renovation but when I opened the door...wow! The rooms are great. The beds were very comfortable, everything was spotless and the bathrooms were very well appointed. We opted for the breakfast package and were there very early in the sitting. The staff again were very nice but the food was ordinary. Eggs were way over cooked, the bacon was soggy, it just wasn't happening for them on this day. We left most of it and got something in transit.
Overall, great staff and rooms, give breakfast a miss.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

I have spoken to the chef's in regards to the breakfast but without knowing the exact date, it is extremely difficult to pin point out exactly what went wrong on the day. As we usually get positive feedback in respect to the breakfast it is most disappointing to hear this feedback. If at all possible I would love to be able to resolve this and would appreciate if you could contact me directly on 02 4943 6733 to discuss.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was fairly expensive night at $179 for a double. Though we understand that it was a busy weekend in Newcastle when we were there with other more central hotels booked out. Breakfast was extra for $10 each at time of booking / check-in.

The location is a little north of the centre of Charlestown on the Pacific Highway. There is a restaurant in the hotel though we elected to take a 10 minute walk down the road to restaurants. We found that the hotel staff willing and able to recommend options without favouring their own offering.

The room was comfortable, spotless and spacious. We were quite happy with what was delivered and we had a comfortable night. In the morning the buffet breakfast was perfectly adequate and worth the $10. However, I would have felt that the ‘standard price’ of $23 would have been expensive for what it was.

On balance I’m glad that we stayed here and would consider it first if staying in Newcastle again.

Room Tip: The view over the valley and trees to the rear would be preferable to the front of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

We value your comments in regards to the price of the accommodation and can assure you that we at all times offer the most competitive rate within Newcastle for a similar product. We also arguably offer the newest and largest rooms in Newcastle and Charlestown.

Thanks you again for the kind words in respect to the service and standards received and we welcome you back on your next stay in our wonderful city of Newcastle.

If I can be of any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02 4943 6733.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights last week in a Superior King Room on the 3rd floor. We couldn't find fault with anything. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was huge and well appointed, the bed comfy and the shower lovely and warm.
The hotel has a lovely bush setting on one side complete with friendly kookaburras and conveniently set on the highway on the other. The rooms though are devoid of traffic noise. Parking is plentiful, open air and underground. We will be going to visit family regularly in Newcastle this year and will choose to stay here everytime.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking the bush was great.
Dear Janelle,

I will express to all the staff members concerned your appreciation to the service received, it is always very encouraging to hear positive feedback like this. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful bush outlook and the friendly kookaburras.

Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed overnight here and it's been awhile since last here,,it's been extensively renovated and WOW it's was good before but now it's fantastic,,,,beautiful new furniture all round, pleasant staff, and plenty of rooms, we didn't try the restaurant but it always was a top quality one so I guess nothings changed there. Lovely pool to relax around and surprisingly quiet next to a main road..this was always the best for conferencing as well so it would be even better now,,,,,rates are reasonable too with different levels of accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the southern side as it has lovely bush views as apposed to residential on the oth...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest

Having newly extended and refurbished the entire hotel, we pride ourselves on offering impeccable service and a superior product at a most competitive price. It was great to hear that it has not gone un-noticed and that guests appreciate quality and service when they receive it, I will happily express your feelings and comments to the entire team.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We recently spent 2 nights at this wonderful hotel. The service was perfect from start to finish. On our first night we were running a bit late and we received a lovely phone call from reception to check that we were still coming. Check in was very efficient. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. We had a beautiful bush outlook and a balcony. We used the pool during our stay which looked over the bush. The pool was well maintained and a very peaceful space. The star of the show however is the restaurant. We dined there for breakfast both mornings and also for dinner on our second night. The food is as good as (or better) than you would find in any high end restaurant. I can highly recommend the mushroom risotto, and the vegetarian breakfast was delicious. A special thank you to our waitress Danielle. She is a real asset to your hotel and we appreciated her lovely nature. I could not find any fault with this hotel. A big well done to the manager and all your staff :))

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerApollo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International Hotel. We truly appreciate you sharing with others, on Trip advisor, your wonderful feedback.

Our hotel’s young and dynamic team takes great pride and passion in their work and are constantly on the quest for complete guest satisfaction. As you have clearly pointed out Danielle is one of those stand out team members that glows enthusiasm and it will bring me immense joy and satisfaction in mentioning to her that it has not gone un-noticed.

The team was delighted to hear that our well-appointed and refurbished guest rooms, along with the efforts of our excellent front desk and award winning restaurant staff provided you with service that you can come to expect and deserve from a BEST WESTERN PLUS hotel.

We look forward to you returning to our wonderful city of Newcastle and providing you with another exceptional experience.

Richard Christie

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Apollo International? Share your experiences!