“Nice hotel ,” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Old Sodbury B&B and Inns
vic fezensac
“Nice hotel ,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed for one night, liked the bar area very much. The room was clean, double bed as 2 beds pushed together so big gap in the middle, but the room was so hot even with the radiator off. Had a nice supper, slept well. Wifi was awful terribly slow and the details you needed to put in were very intrusive, date of birth etc.
Breakfast was not good, scrambled eggs were so dry and crumbly, sausages tasted like supermarket bought, all in all not impressed. The hotel is a lovely old building, but mismatched chairs in the dining room give it a rather uncared for look. The net curtains in the bedroom could do with a wash and one of the sheets was a bit grubby.
However for one night it was well priced and fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, we had rm 6 and it was away from the main road.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Keighley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The bed was lovely, the room was a good size and not by the road, so it was quiet and I slept really well. Wifi was rubbish and I had to provide my date of birth to get an account to use it. Why is that relevant? Staff were friendly and helpful. The bathroom was really not good. The toilet seat wasn't fitted properly and it smelt. The shower was dirty and mouldy, the door didn't close properly.

Room Tip: Room 3 - bathroom was poor but the room was quiet.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed this week in one of the single rooms which was pretty tired and freezing cold.

Drafty old sash windows with toilet paper stuffed into the gaps doesn't really help keep the cold out. Luckily there were some spare pillows to use as draft excluders.

On the plus side the bed was clean.

TV reception was non-existent on bbc channels and free wifi is so slow as to be useless.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Old Sodbury hotels

Leiston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

I was looking for somewhere reasonably priced - as this was, on an offer - & within easy reach of the arboretum at Westonbirt on a Saturday night. I preferred to book by phone & on querying about an evening meal, the lady offered to reserve a table for me which I appreciated. Because I would have dogs with me - who were to sleep in the car, I asked to have a room overlooking the parking area, so was pleased on arrival to find a space in the yard not far from my room window. Being the 'silly season' with fireworks, one dog is very neurotic and I was able to bring her indoors and even take her into the bar area to eat later. I had to pass on my reserved table in the restaurant where dogs are not allowed, but there was room enough in & around the bars. The bed was most comfortable, the room was clean & warm but not stifling and the shower worked well. There was a good menu for both evening & breakfast and meals came out well presented. Perhaps the best recommendation for this hotel were its staff. All of the various staff I encountered were lovely - genuinely nice and helpful with any request. I shall certainly return and will look for fellow Old English inns on my travels

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor overlooking the smaller area of parking - I found it quiet as it fa...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at The Cross Hands Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
All our rooms on the ground floor are dog friendly and we have ample space for them to run around.
Many of our Old English Inn's can accommodate pets and we can always reserve a table in the lounge area if prefered, so that your dogs can be with you. They probably won't be the only ones!
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

This is a good pub/hotel. The food is fine and reasonably priced. There is ample parking. The place is popular and you need to book if you want to eat at weekends. We stayed for one night. The only issue was being placed in a room with a disabled wet room and toilet when we are not disabled. We were surprised to learn ordinary rooms were unoccupied during our stay. When we asked why we had not been placed in a non-disabled facility room we were told it was because of our website booking? We did not request such a room when we booked.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking on website and checking in, to ensure you get the kind of room that suits yo...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to here that your room allocation did not spoil your stay too much.
If a booking comes through to us as an 'easy access' room via a booking site, we can not change it however, if you book directly with us, we can allocate you a particular room if you prefer.
George, Colette and the team
Cambridgeshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

We stayed here for two nights recently using Tesco vouchers. We had upgraded to a superior room, which proved to be quite large and comfortable. The décor was not quite to our taste, but this is an old coaching inn, so perhaps it was appropriate. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was fine but could have done with some shelves to put things on. Both rooms were clean and warm ( the weather was not too great ). There was some road noise at night, as our room looked out onto a main road. This did not cause us much of a problem, but light sleepers may be advised to request a room away from the road.
We ate in the restaurant on both nights and thought the choice available on the menu was fine and the quality of food was very good, also good value. As far as we could see there is not really anywhere else to eat without driving some distance, so if you like a drink with your meal it may be advisable to book a table in the restaurant. The Cross Hands also does bar meals, but as we didn’t try these, I am unable to comment on them. Breakfast was also good, with a decent choice on the menu.
We visit friends and relatives near Bristol and Bath quite regularly, so this hotel is ideally placed for us. Car parking is excellent and we found all the staff we came into contact with to be very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay very much and are booked to go back later this month.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the road if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We are pleased to hear that you had a good stay.
Next time you visit, let us know which room needed shelves and we will see what we can do.
George, Colette and the team
Banstead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

I wrote a review in February before my visit titled 'Concerned'. It is remiss of me not to have followed this up sooner, perhaps due to my reluctance to write a bad review. I rely on Tripadvisor and so I must contribute. This relates to a group of about 14 of us for a cousins reunion. On check in, advised we were allocated a superior room. I dread to think what a standard room is like. Firstly, there was an acrid stench in the room which led to coughing, sneezing and sore throat. Later advised it was a neutralizing spray that had previously brought adverse comments. What were they trying to neutralize? The bed was very comfortable but as you looked behind the open bedhead, the dust on the skirting board had become a thick fluff. The windows were filthy and the sash was broken so had to be propped open by a toilet roll until the rain made it useless. The initial allocation not only for us, was 1 hand and 1 bath towel for 2 people! To shower, you had to balance in a narrow bath and hold the rail up with one hand in order to pull the shower curtain across. I would have liked the use of a toilet brush. Our room was over the bar area so was extremely noisy. No doubt the hotel had passed fire regulations but on checking (as always) the defined fire exit route, I hoped to never have to use it. No chance of a window exit to the internal courtyard as the windows were screwed down in such a fashion as to make it impossible. On seeking an alternative exit route, there was a door close by leading to a steep staircase. The bottom of the stairs were piled up with filled laundry bags. The food was acceptable for most, though not all of us and I had 2 good breakfasts. Two of our party had their breakfast order taken and were totally forgotten as the waitress put the order in her pocket and forgot it. I believe the final recompense was a reduction on the condition that they had to make a further booking. Wish I had wandered into the kitchen to see if that was clean. This was an old building but had an incongruous picture window from the restaurant to the garden. Had I been given a bucket of soapy water I would have cleaned it myself, so distracting was it. Now, 14 of us for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast plus lots of drink and wine. This must be the only hotel with a licence that does not permit residents to be served alcohol after 10.30pm on a Sunday night (quote)! Suggested we bought as much as we liked before the bar closed to stockpile it on the table. Enough of this, I think, so was there anything positive. Well yes, the staff who were often young and inexperienced, were very pleasant, polite and eager to serve but I fear lacked leadership not only from management but head office. Full marks to the staff and a special mention of the Monday breakfast waitress who had a system of working that went like clockwork and easily earned the tip I left. Do I recommend this hotel? No.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at The Cross Hands Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2014
Thank you for posting. We are sure that all your concerns and comments from April 2014 have now been dealt with.
George, Colette and the team.

Been to The Cross Hands Hotel? Share your experiences!