“Great hotel need to improve on service” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street to your Saves list
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Katherine & Grayston Drive | Sandown, 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #90 of 207 hotels in Greater Johannesburg
Madurai, India
“Great hotel need to improve on service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was given a room on the first floor. Nice view from my room. Well maintained rooms and pleasant front desk staff. The staff in the coffee shop have to be trained. It has a nice restaurant within the campus. You can do a morning walk in the campus.

• Stayed June 2013

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
newport pagnell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were booked into a different Jo'burg hotel for one week, I was on business and my wife sightseeing etc.

We checked out of the first hotel because of a lack of facilities and poor location after just one day.

Expecting possibly more of the same we we were very pleasantly surprised to find this chain hotel to be so good.

ALL the staff are brilliant. They really looked after my wife whilst I was away, including organising a tour.

The breakfast spread is very good. We had lunch there one day and it was excellent, time was clearly taken to prepare our food.

Rooms were spacious & modern.

In due back in Joburg quite a lot this year and will be staying in the City Lodge.

One minor grip, but this goes for pretty much all hotels in SA; it could do with free wireless Internet access.

• Stayed May 2013
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel - wifi will become cheaper over time.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After my disastrous attempt at staying somewhere other than a City Lodge when in Johannesburg on business I decided to stay at the Katherine street City Lodge. I have not stayed in this lodge before, as I normally stay in the Bryanston location. I will however, from now on, stay in Katherine Street. Look, City Lodge's are good, a consistently high quality product and friendly service, clean rooms, well equipped with modern fittings. So you know what you are getting from a City Lodge before you arrive. But, and this is a big But, yes with a capital B, there is just something different about Katherine Street. It's almost intangible. It's the extra warmth in the staff's smiles, it's the friendly greeting you get from every single staff member you happen to get within earshot of. They actually appear to really enjoy being there. The reception and common areas are spotless, my room passed my barefoot test with flying colours, the bathroom was so clean one could eat one's breakfast off the shower floor. Okay maybe my review of this establishment is slightly tainted on the back of my review of the Westford, because I am so glad to have spent last night here, but the facts are there for you to see if you stay here when next in Johannesburg. The City Lodge product is an excellent one across the country, but I think I might have found something a little extra special in Katherine Street. Not quite sure why I'm telling you all about it though, the place will be fully booked next time I stay here...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you so much for generous comments about our hotel - we hope to see you again soon.
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Well maintained hotel with lovely gardens and friendly staff. Rooms clean and of reasonable size. Breakfast is well priced. Hotel well priced for the area. Premise are well secured with visible security guards.

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

With a great location and it's nice spacious rooms - this hotel is a gem.
Eventhough their motto is 'Be kind' - I must admit that I have never been to a hotel where the staff were so helpfull and in all trying to meet our needs. We had a late flight out of Jo'burg and really needed a late check out as my son was sick. The manager in charge went out of her way to make us comfetable and ensured us that we could check out at 3 pm.
We were meet with a smile from everyone at the hotel - the guy at the gate, the cleaning ladies and of couse the guys at reception desk.

THANK you for making our stay a pleasent one and we will surely be back next time in Jo'burg.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are particularly pleased to hear about the great service you received. We hope to welcome you again soon.
GABORONE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were visiting Johannesburg for a quick trip and we stayed again at this City Lodge - close to Sandton City Shopping Centre. The lodge has now improved the availability of an adjacent restaurant - Carpe Diem - excellent value and very friendly staff. No need to journey oput for the relasxing evening meal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We hope to welcome you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say that the staff at this hotel were extremely helpful and the room quite comfortable but unfortunately I ate there and it made me terribly ill . I spent the night throwing up . It would have been nice to have had cold water available in a fridge (neither of these does the room have) as I was unsure if the tap water was ok to drink so felt very dehydrated. The following morning my husband chose to have breakfast and after placing his order was unaware that you then had to order it yet again. After seeing the food being handled by hand he chose not to eat it especially having seen me retching all night. The general manager was extremely helpful and could not apologies enough and is getting the food tested but having spent the previous week on a safari eating from only a Braai it was rather sad to get ill at a hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are sorry about this situation and your experience. The GM of the hotel has been in touch with you. We will be looking into this matter further to ensure it does not happen again. Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies.

Been to City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street? Share your experiences!