“Good stay for business. Central and functional.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street to your Saves list
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Katherine & Grayston Drive | Sandown, 2196, South Africa   |
Ranked #89 of 207 hotels in Greater Johannesburg
Cape Town
“Good stay for business. Central and functional.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

The hotel has all the amenities required for a short business trip. Location is excellent in the heart of Sandton, easy to find and access from one of the major highways. Service at the front desk, bar and breakfast was efficient and better than many South African establishments. Room was functional. Crisp sheets, nice TV, tea and coffee making facilities, stunning bath and adequate shower. Room was silent and the bed was comfy so the sleep quality was excellent. Overall room is a bit outdated and in need of an overall upgrade. No elevator to the second floor which I found strange. Had a few drinks at the bar with a colleague and the service was excellent. The breakfast was buffet style with everything under the sun. I understand why they have to charge R100 but I would offer a simpler option for half the price. I would recommend this hotel for business and not pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Pretty standard business hotel/motel. Great breakfast (though pricey at R 100+), small pool, nice coutyard garden, wireless expensive and slow in some rooms. Felt safe and OK for 4 day stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel was just fine. Big and clean room, great bed, the check-in was quick and everything was OK. But when I asked for an extra help from the hotel (i.e. a two-hours late check-out) they denied (even considering that my room would not be occupied and that the hotel was pretty much empty in that day).

Whenever I'm travelling I want my hotel to take care of me and help me to relax and enjoy my trip. In this case, they didn't do it.

So, only go to this hotel if you are expecting them to deliver just the basic (although efficient) service they have to.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
GABORONE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We always stay here when we visit Johannesburg as it is in a quiet location for the evening stop over.The City Lodge concept is well known and is our preferred choice for city stays.On our last trip we had booked in advance and when we arrived we were informed that there was no water at all in the hotel due to a municipal problem. The stafff were brilliant and arranged an immediate transfer to a sister hotel some 3 kms away. No fuss, no bother just great service and lots of smiles.

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing rooms and then you will not have the carpark noises in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Room are great. Clean and comfortable. No frills.

On the negative side, tv is mediocre, wifi is expensive. Hotel has no vibe. It's a little soul-less. That said, it's still where I stay regularly for short business trips because it's very central, and good value for money?

Don't eat the food.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces in towards the garden.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Bloemfontein, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed here on the 9th July and I have no complaints about the hotel itself, the establishment is fine for a night or two with all the basics.

I decided to make another booking again for a one night stay in August and this is where I encountered problems with service.

An Amount for R 877.70 went off my Credit Card by City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 30th July. I made my booking online on the 29 July to stay for one night at the City Lodge on the 5th August, I have the booking confirmation showing the date and time.

On the 4th August I cancelled the booking (I still have the cancellation confirmation clearly showing the date and time.)

The Terms and Conditions of City Lodge state the following:

Should you cancel your reservation prior to 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be refunded within 7 days of the cancellation process.

Should you cancel your reservation after 12 midday on the day of arrival you will be charged for the first night's accommodation and the remainder nights will be refunded by the hotel within 7 days. Please ensure you email all required details to the respective hotel.
This can be verified by going on their website.

The amount of R877.70 had in fact had already been cleared on my credit card and no refund was given. When I contacted City Lodge Katherine Street Sandton on the 11 August I was told by a lady called Thandie that I must fax them my credit card statement? I am not very comfortable with doing this for obvious privacy and security issues. WARNING IN SOUTH AFRICA YOU NEVER DO THIS FRAUD IS LIKE BREATHING HERE. So instead of someone doing their job at accounts and checking if in fact the credit was issued (like perhaps calling their bank- just a suggestion) they instead make it the customer's problem.

I have the Cancellation Confirmation that they sent me via email on the 4th of August which clearly shows the date and time of the cancellation.
To date I still have no refund and after numerous calls and emails my only alternative is to go to my bank and make a charge back.
It is a small amount but if they fail to refund one night what is to say they will refund a larger amount?

I will never again have anything to do with City Lodge. I get the impression they hope you will forget about them taking your money or hope you will not check your credit card statemen

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

This Lodge was the part of an organized tour. If ever we returned to Johannesburg, the Lodge would be our first choice. Room pleasant and staff outstanding. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to City Lodge Hotel Katherine Street? Share your experiences!