“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cliffemount Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cliffemount Hotel to your Saves list
Cliffemount Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bank Top Lane | Runswick Bay, Runswick TS13 5HU , England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Runswick
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Very pleasantly surprised at this hotel. Lovely view, we ate at the hotel on both nights and the food was of a very high standard. Breakfast was very tasty probably the best sausages that I have tasted. Staff were very polite and nothing was too much bother. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. We upgraded and had a room with a balcony which also had a telescope which allowed to see the view of the bay even more.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were booked into a room with no shower and only enough hot water for one bath, when we asked if it would be possible to move to a room with a shower we were told that we could not as the hotel was extremely busy. As it turns out the hotel was extremely quiet that night so I don't understand why we were not able to move to a room with a shower. The staff were friendly enough but the owners were very unfriendly and quite hostile which did nothing to help the lack of atmosphere in the hotel.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Very surprised at this hotel. The restaurant is excellent and the food is of a very high standard. Most notable are the staff the manager and manageress seem to be there 24/7 and are two of the best hosts we've encountered whether in a 5 star hotel or b&b. Breakfast was one of the best we've had and we ate both nights at the hotel - they have an excellent chef. Not at all pretentious but a real treat. High quality local produce and prepared with a flair. The view of the bay is wonderful and we will return

Room Tip: Balcony rooms a must
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel (Living Social deal).

The room was clean and had a lovely view of the bay but the heating went off after an hour. I rang reception and was told they would have a look at it. It came back on. However, the next morning I woke up very cold (6.45) am. the heating was off yet again. I rang reception and was told that the heating was timed to come on at 7.30; I presume that I was just supposed to freeze until then!! When it did come on, it was a good half hour before the room began to get warm.

That afternoon whilst we were in our room the heating went off yet again. I was told by reception that it was on a 'rolling programme' of coming off and on. Bearing in mind that the temperature was 2deg.outside, we were on the second floor of a hotel on a cliff top in February, that was not good news. The heating came on again, but sure enough, went off again. I spoke to reception, who said that they had had problems with water pressure and it was off at this point because someone was looking at it. I requested a fan heater as it was so very cold in the room.

We did not eat in the hotel as the menu looked expensive and the choice was not particularly to our taste. We ate at the Runswick Bay Hotel instead. The food was good and much more reasonable, and it was warm!! On the second evening we ate at the Ellerby Hotel, in a village about 1 mile away. What a contrast to the Cliffemount. The food was delicious, reasonable, there was a lovely fire and the staff were happy and helpful.

The other thing we were unhappy with was that at breakfast no one asked us if we wanted more tea or toast. We stay in a lot of hotels and this is something we are always asked. I had to ask for more tea and toast and on the second day and got 3 half slices!!! We do not eat huge portions, but thought that this was mean. Also the owner kept barking orders at our waiter which spoiled the ambiance somewhat!!

All in all, I would not pay the full price to stay at this hotel; in fact I wouldn't even pay half of the Living Social price!!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in feb in room 5. Enjoyed our stay very much. We travelled with our dog and he was made welcome. Very good value for money and breakfast was lovely. Had an evening meal and this was also very good. Enjoyed the quaint bar. Spectacular views, even though weather was terrible. Scenic drive to Whitby. Only downside was wifi connection not great in rooms although ok in the bar.

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I bought a Living Social deal voucher for this place in October last year which expires the end of February and forgot I'd done so. When I received a reminder off LSD I rang the hotel to see if they would accept my voucher (£130) even though I hadn't redeemed it within the 30 day period. They told me they couldn't; because they were fully booked for the whole of February. I went on their web page and entered a couple of dates for which I wanted to stay there, guess what, there were lots of rooms available. It's left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'm extremely disappointed with their actions

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have recently returned from 2 days of pure relaxation at the Cliffemount and we can honestly say that it was wonderful!! First of all the room, and I wish I had done this review earlier because I cannot remember the name, but it was an upgrade to a sea view and we were not disappointed. We even had a telescope on the balcony for an even better view of the coast, unfortunately the weather was not too kind as it was a bit misty but it did not spoil what was a beautiful view. Since coming home I have read some of the reviews about the hotel, mainly the bad reviews, now I know you cannot please all of the people all of the time but the one thing I was surprised at was the bad reviews about the food! I can honestly say that we have never eaten anywhere better, and if you look at our reviews we have eaten at a few places. The meals on both nights were fantastic, I will not bore you with what we had but I will say that all the ingredients were locally sourced and they were cooked to perfection. Anyone who complains about the food in this hotel must be really hard to please. The hotel itself is perfectly placed for you to enjoy the views, plenty parking, and a great selection of wines and spirits for you to enjoy with your meal and to relax in the lounge afterwards. The hotel is also perfectly placed if you fancied a trip to Whitby or even Scarborough. We took advantage of the dry weather and had a lovely walk down the steep hill onto the beach and a stroll along the wide beach, unfortunately you have to remember that you have to get back up that steep hill!! All in all the 2 days was well worth the trip down to Runswick Bay and we would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anybody, go and enjoy.

Room Tip: If you can try and get an upgrade to a sea view it is well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cliffemount Hotel? Share your experiences!