“I would stay here again, but....” 3 of 5 stars

Cartwright Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1 - 5 Croughton Road, Aynho OX17 3BE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Aynho B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I would stay here again, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The room was nice, very large but also very cold. I put the radiator up to full but it was still cold in the morning. I even lifted the curtain onto the window ledge so the heat could actually get out into the room, but still it was pretty cold in the room all night (it wasn't exactly freezing out either, about 5 to 8 degrees I guess) Ok a minor moan I know but still... The staff are first class, really very nice, professional and obviously take pride in their work which is pleasant to be around. My main annoyance with this hotel is really only one thing, and that is the price of food and drink. Please do not get me wrong, the food is really, really good but unless Gorden Ramsey was helping out Jamie Oliver tucked away out the back I think it was just to much money. I think this is also why there are no locals in the bar, which is a shame as when I stay somewhere like this I like to get that local feeling, especially if I was on a weekend break. Anyway, breakfast is great room is clean and staff are lovely so if you are in the area give it a go.... But then there is nothing else for a fair few miles so you may not have a choice!..... Again, maybe why the prices are high in the bar?

Message to the owner, get the locals back in... it creates atmosphere!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay. Hotel in quiet location, bit remote but not too far to Bicester or Banbury, found them easy enough. Breakfast was excellent, dinner okay. Both Gary and Leva were great, as was the gentlemam from Dereham, who welcomed us. Thanks guys for a fab weekend!

• Stayed May 2013
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

we were en route through the Cotswolds and picked the Cartwright as a potential stopping place; how glad we were that we did. This really is an excellent small hotel with a good value restaurant and friendly engaging staff. There is an excellent dinner menu which is served by attentive staff. Breakfast was a less atmospheric as most of the other guest were business folk and up and away long before we were.

Room Tip: It is worth going for an Executive Room for the extra space and comfort
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent one night here after an excellent meal in the Apricot room which is delightful. Our meal was excellent,the staff helpful. The drinks were very pricey though at just under £12 for 2 drinks. Our room in the courtyard was basic but pleasant enough for one night. The mattress was of at the lower quality end and the room chilly in the night even though the radiator was on all night. Its been a long time since we've had blankets on the bed in a hotel so this may have made the difference in warmth and cosy ness.

Room Tip: The rooms directly off the courtyard can be chilly if its cold weather.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here on a mini break for 2 nights. Booking went awry as they got part of the email address wrong but soon sorted with a phone call. Staff were great when booking in, got an upgraded room. Spacious room (no 18 in the courtyard), very large bed. Clean and the usual tea/coffee facilities. Bathhrom a good size and very clean, plenty of towels. Had the a la carte menu, lots of choice for us, well presented and decent portions. All well cooked and very tasty. The local cheeseboard ( choice of up to 4 cheeses) was almost more than I could manage. Kim, our waitress on both nights, was a joy, friendly and helpful. Paul the general manager was talkative and gave us some good advice about where to go for the rest of the day. The only problem seemed to be paying in cash for extras. I had a concerned phonecall from my daughter who had a call to say we had left without paying the bill!! It took some time to get the person at the hotel to believe we had actually paid. This included being asked to decribe the person who took the money! I presume it is now sorted as no further phone calls but no apology either. They need to sort out their computer system so that it shows all payments or tell customers they need to pay for extras using the same card as they used for booking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Four of us stayed here in February and had 2 rooms in the yard which were very roomy and comfortable. We had a great weekend, helped by the fantastic staff who were very friendly and professional (a special thanks to Gary for making us laugh). We ate both nights in the restaurant and all four of us thought the food was excellent. I couldn't fault this hotel and would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed for one night dinner bed and breakfast. The evening meal was very nice and the staff friendly and efficient although I thought the drinks were a bit expensive at £4.25 for a pint of San Miguel. My room was very nice with plenty of space but the biggest let down was the noise from the other rooms caused by the fans in the bathrooms. I don't think that I got more than an hour of solid sleep which was very disappointing. I would advise anybody thinking of staying here to ask for a room in the yard rather than the main building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the yard away from the main building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Cartwright Hotel? Share your experiences!