“Excellent family outing (long review)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calatagan
Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort
Calatagan, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Calatagan
Manila, Philippines
“Excellent family outing (long review)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We loved the Tagaytay cottage!  It was a bit of a walk being the farthest one out, but it was a small price to pay when you see the inside.  Very clean with a fresh look and color scheme to it.  Amenities include instant coffee ingredients, a refrigerator, a free-standing hot and cold water dispenser, cups and saucers, coffee thermos, and teaspoons. They gave us welcome drinks (punch-type beverages) in wine glasses which they originally served at the reception area when we checked in, but I requested them to bring the drinks to the cottage instead, so we got to reuse these glasses too during our stay. No TV here though, and Wifi's only in the restaurant and restaurant veranda area, so be psyched that you're here for old-fashioned bonding and relaxation... without the gadgets.

There are two bedrooms, the bigger with two double beds, and the smaller one (though it wasn't a small bedroom at all) with one double bed.  My brother and his wife, and my husband, my 2-year old daughter and myself all slept in the bigger room while my parents took the other.  My other brother had the sofa bed in the living room to himself.  We were not even able to utilize the loft area where there were several (and I mean almost a dozen) mattresses and pillows for even more occupants. Had we known this we would have invited our cousins to tag along.

There was one full toilet and bathroom inside the cottage.  There was another indoor toilet room which also had a full-length mirror. There was even a shower room at the cottage deck, near the hammock where my father thoroughly enjoyed the breeze. All toilet and bathrooms were roomy and well-stocked with bathroom amenities (toilet paper, towels, hand and bath soap, shampoo and conditioner.. though no dental toiletries, as I recall). And as I mentioned, they are roomy and won't make you feel cramped inside.

I cannot stop raving about the cottage; you can literally just pack a bag of clothes and go off to a restful vacation here and you won't feel short-changed for the price.  You also wont have to worry about packing up meals as there's a restaurant in the resort.

My brothers and husband went off sea creature-hunting by going down the ladder of the cottage with direct access to the water.  They found a variety of starfishes, sea slugs and other gooey creatures which they brought back to the cottage deck to show my toddler daughter.  They put them all back in the water, of course.

Ok as for the beach.. Water is shallow, with several patches of seaplants, but clean and generally safe to explore (though we saw an urchin farther out). Great for bringing your toddlers to play in the water near the shore, but don't expect a full swim even when you walk much farther out.  Sand is light, and it's rocky near the beach but finer up the shore. The little girl enjoyed exploring the beach and the play areas (swings and seesaw) near it, but we adults enjoyed the pool more.

Food...not cheap, but it's not outrageously expensive either. For us,  t'was worth it not having to lug meal supplies into the cottage (though the resort attendants help you with your bags and supplies)... or have to be busy with cooking, which will mean some won't get to laze around.  I called beforehand and clarified which food items we can bring without the corkage fee. The way it was explained to me, you can basically bring in snacks; food that won't be classified as "meals". We brought with us the usual outing food suspects: drinking water, coffee sachets, sandwich ingredients like tuna, hard-boiled eggs, cooked hotdogs and cooked luncheon meat, and the usual bags of chips and cookies. I think our bags were offhandedly inspected at reception, but the inspection was not very intrusive.

For dinner, they come to your cottage to get your advanced orders if you're having dinner at the cottage or at the restaurant.  We had ours at the restaurant to be able to watch the cultural show.  It was entertaining and the dancers/waiters can hold their own when it comes to performing. Breakfast was an unexpected treat, since we were informed that since there were lots of vacationers that weekend (though we didnt notice this at all), breakfast would be served buffet-style.  There weren't too many choices (tocino, adobo, fried crispy danggit, champorado, eggs, garlic rice, two kinds of cereal, three kinds of fruits), but everything was yummy. Still beats being constrained to one or two viands in a plated order.

If it wasn't already obvious: Yes, we'd come back again.

Room Tip: Tagaytay Cottage: roomy, well-kept, and the farthest out :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

We are a couple coming from Paris, France. This was a gift I have reserved to celebrate my engagement. I asked the staff if they could prepare a nice dinner on the beach. It was more than what I expected and they even surprised me a short serenade during the meal. Me and my fiancé found that fantastic! The beach was very clean, the restaurant served good food, the rooms are clean and well maintained. Though I must suggest, that shutters must be added to the bedroom windows, especially when some guests wish to have a longer sleep.
Over all rating is 4 out of 5. I recommend this to all who wants tranquility, excellent beach, and a quick get away from the busy harassing city life. AB

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

the place is quite far but it was worth it. i liked the attention to detail like the cute quotes posted almost everywhere. cebu cottage was huge and comfortable. it was like home away from home. we loved the view and the fact that we can just go down a few steps to take a dip. the kids enjoyed the free kayak and the pool. the water is clear although the beach had a lot of seaweeds, we just avoided them. it was fine because the beach is not that deep, even if you go a little farther from the shore you can still stand up. we saw a lot of small crabs, sea urchins and fish! the next day we booked the island tour and we all had fun. we were all in awe of the white beach in the middle of the sea. we saw a lot of starfish which made the kids so excited. the guides were all nice and helpful. dinner was ok, we ordered fried chicken, sisig, pinakbet, pancit and 2 seafood platter. nothing special about them. breakfast, however, was really delicious and they were complimentary. customer service was good from start to finish. i inquired if our additional guest can be given a discount because she is quite small even though she is beyond 6 years old, and they agreed. the staff also delivered our breakfast to our cottage and were quick to clean up. they also allowed us to be picked up by the boat from our cottage instead of from the beach. everyone at home said the place was nice and they liked our pictures. we would definitely go back!

• Stayed October 2012
manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

welcome drinks, smiling faces, great food, superb sunset, clean rooms..... What else do you need? We had perfect weather and had to escape the city. We passed through every single appealing resort sign from Nasugbu....and reached Calatagan. We were welcomed and told they had no guest. And that tempted us... We would have the resort all to ourselves! Oh yeah! Sure! We were escorted to the davao hut and the adventure started there. Great food except for the guinataang bulaklak ng saging which was salty beyond my salty pallette but nevertheless,..... Great desserts and overall....food is great! Unlike overpriced snobbish restos, this one gives you the authentic view.....superb sunset, cool breeze... Yup, im calling this next to my favorite Boracay destination!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My team and I went to Stilts for an overnight team building exercise and upon checking in, we were greeted with cold drinks which was very refreshing. We were ushered to the Lipa and Iligan cottages, and getting there was absolutely breathtaking. The entire cottage was very clean, and free flowing drinking water, hot and cold was available. The beach area was well-maintained and clean (a plus factor when activities called for participants being barefoot), but what was exceptional was when they brought cold water to us even without us asking for it. Service was definitely world-class and would definitely go back if i need some personal quiet time.

Room Tip: Choose the one on stilts, as far away from the beach as possible to get a good breeze from the sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Came here with 3 other friends.

The resort itself is very clean, bright, colourful and has a few niche quotes which gave it that reflective time to ponder and rejuvenate.

The weather was dire, of course Stilts was not at fault of this, but the staff did go out of their way to ensure that we had an excellent experience.

It truly is a very good resort with great hospitality. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Mandaragat boat for PHP1000/hr to go for snorkling if u really wanna see the clear sea water. For those doesnt swim or cant swim, lifevest is provided and u will also be accompanied by the hotel's life guard to ensure patron safety.

Binalot dishes are all yummy.

Cultural show was nice, with audience participation was fun! Try to join the traditional tinikling dance group. U will see most of the performers are guest services as well, i think it was awesome!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Stilts Calatagan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!