“Excellent value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

101 Durham Rd | East Rainton, Houghton-le-Spring DH5 9QT, England   |
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here Tuesday night and the staff were very friendly, the room was comfortable and warm enough, loads of hot water, plenty of tea & coffee & a lift to all floors so I could take my tools into my room easily (I never leave them in my van but in some places it is a nightmare getting them to the room). I had a good nights sleep and breakfast was really nice with plenty of choice. I would definately stay here again but this time I would try and arrive in time to sample the restaurant.

Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Room was actually nicely fitted out, bit damp behind curtains because of condensation but did not affect the stay at all, it was cheap, and clean (what I wanted in this case) staff were friendly if a little absent on check in and on return later in evening and morning. Bathroom was dated but again clean, bath was deep with plenty of hot water. Television was tricky to work. Breakfast wasn't great but it was value for money. Bed was HUGE and comfortable. All in all very good and I would recommend highly if you are looking for a short stay budget hotel near Durham, which was exactly what I went for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Usually stay here when I'm in the area, The rooms I've had are invariably clean and in good repair. Only gripe would be about the road noise, but I'm a light sleeper. The Thai restaurant is exceptionally good, the bar food looked popular as I passed through. No complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

looks great from the outside,then you see your room and it all becomes clear that you've made a bad choice! its a knocking shop used by teens and folks having affairs. not a nice place to stay,shame as the bar and eating area is really very nice.

Room Tip: ground floor, faster to get out!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was a family trip to Durham, and we had to book three hotel rooms. All of Durham city centre was booked up. So we looked further afield and found The Highfield Hotel. We booked a double, twin and a single room. The single had twin beds in, All the rooms were of a very good standard. All equipped with tea & coffee making facilities. Comfortable bedding. All very nicely laid out with lovely chinese lamps, pictures etc. The only thing I would point out was that we were on the 2nd floor and the temperature was very warm. The radiators were on, and we had to turn our radiator off, and open the windows. But we would prefer it to be too warm than too cold, at least we were able to control it.We didn't know what to expect, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff were very helpful and courteous. We had booked a table at the Thai restaurant that is within the hotel. We had an excellent meal, very good service, and the atmosphere in the restaurant was great.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Slightly tired looking hotel, about 3 miles off the A1. I had a twin room at the front of the hotel, which is on a slope. I had to get up stairs (no help with luggage offered), the lift seems to be permanently out of order. The pavement at the front of the hotel is actually higher than my room, and as the room did not have net curtains, I felt people could look in when they walked past, so kept the curtains closed. Bed was comfortable. En suite has shower over bath. Breakfast ok, served in the Thai restaurant, where I had a great meal the night before, it is attached to the pub of the hotel. No one present in reception on arrival or on departure, I posted the key in a slot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Banbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked an overnight stay with set dinner and breakfast included for £85 for 2. It was a bargain! The hotel itself is a bit tired and lacking TLC but overall clean enough. Our room was a good size and the balcony was a nice feature that also drowned out the noise of the adjacent busy road. The bathroom with bath and shower above was a little tired but a little maintenance would sort it out eg missing plug in the sink, small bits of grouting missing. The TV was a good size and the tea and coffee was enough for us. The beds were adequate and comfortable too. However, dinner was brilliant! Set menu of 4 starters, 4 mains with rice, dessert and coffee. Really well cooked and tasty and I would normally have been happy to pay £40 a head for that! Breakfast was ok, bacon overcooked through being kept warm for too long, but everything else great. Good service at both meals too. So, overall, a great alternative to a motorway stop over and very good value for one night. I would use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, or if a smoker like me (!), then ask for a front room with a balcony, Vi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Highfield Hotel? Share your experiences!