WOW! What a stunning island paradise!!! Not only is the island itself seriously unspoilt & beautiful but the unique style of accommodation is a real highlight. We found all the staff here to be super friendly, ESPECIALLY CLAUDE, what a great guy with a lot of knowledge & a big heart. The only criticism of the staff would be that that sometimes she we asked about basic things like where would they like us to sit for dinner or what is in a certain cocktail or how much a skin care product was at the spa, they quiet often look blank. This was not really a problem for us but some people may find this off-putting for a high end retreat. THE FOOD IS PLENTIFUL & TO DIE FOR!!! We did the meal plan & found that great as we didn't have to think of anything, we just relaxed & ate. We started off our stay with a 30 minute boat trip from the main land, the scenery was beautiful & we really enjoyed it. We started off our stay in "Tallene" in the fish village, which was great as we are a family of 2 adults & 2 kids (10 & 15), there was plenty of room & we were in close proximity to everything. Our little hut had all we needed for a comfortable stay & we absolutely loved looking at the unique buildings & gorgeous artefacts & treasures collected from around the world, this was a highlight! The negative thing about the fish village accom is that it's not very private, as all huts open out onto a communal courtyard/garden area & considering doors & windows don't shut that well, if you are looking for a quiet & private place, maybe go with another village hut. The other issue is the heat inside the huts. The weather was not crazy hot but my husband barely slept for the 3 nights we were there. There is a ceiling fan over the beds but unfortunately as there are no insect screens you need to have your mozzie net on which blocks the fan completely. I WOULD NOT STAY HERE OVER SUMMER! A big bonus was having the extra communal building in the fish village is a great place to sit with a drink or cuppa or do some fishing. If you find yourself there before 8am & after 4pm you may see one of the local turtles pop its head up. Unfortunately a very rude, inconsiderate large family group that were staying at the same time as us put a big dampener on our stay. We have kids & have had toddlers but these guys didn't seem to care about their unruly kids spoiling everyone else's break, in fact they seemed to like to interact with them at full volume, making the place like a pre school! As I said, we are parents ourselves, but there is no way we would bring small kids to a place like this, it's not really appropriate unless they are able to be a little bit respectful of other guests. We were not the only people who noticed it & several other guests complained. This group was moved into the 2 other huts in the fish village & their kids would run up & down our verandah at 6:30am yelling & screaming, this was the last straw! We had spent 10 days on Efate doing aid work after the cyclone & had saved really hard to be able to relax after all our work & stay at a beautiful place like Ratua. We went & spoke to BONG, the manager & he moved us to "Tiger" house for our last night. WOW, WOW, WOW! We wish we had been in Tiger all along. It is spacious, private, quiet & has private beach & area to snorkel in. We found Bong to be super friendly, understanding & helpful & we really enjoyed chatting to him. I would thoroughly recommend the day spa, crabbing & swimming with the horses, just fantastic! This place will not be everyone's "cup of tea". It is paradise, but it is different & quirky & perhaps not the type of luxury you could expect for the price. We loved it, right up our ally, we will be back for sure!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ratua Island is a wild, magical place with authentic people who offer a simple and warm reception in a naturally beautiful environment. There are 13 individual 200-year-old Indonesian villas that have been specially reconstructed on sites offering stunning views with a private deck or beach. Located in the Vanuatu Archipelago, off the South East tip of Espiritu Santo, Ratua is only a 30-minute motorboat journey from the mainland on our own private motor launch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Ratua Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ratua Private Island Hotel Luganville
- Ratua Private Island Vanuatu/Luganville