“When I am among the trees - Review by Character Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge

Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nottingham Road
Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge
You added Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge to your Saves list
| Mooi River, Nottingham Road 3310, South Africa   |
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“When I am among the trees - Review by Character Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I love the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands in Winter – think cosy wood fires, full cream sherry, hot bubble baths, and spectacular crisp starry skies. And what better way to enjoy all of these lovely things than in the most characterful of stays - a treehouse. Made entirely of beautifully crafted wood, the treehouses at Sycamore Avenue are magical spaces in which to inspire the soul. The Sycamore Avenue slogan is “If we can’t fly with birds, we can at least nest among them.” They have created the most beautiful nests, each in a private space and nestled up against a large tree. There is something so fantastical about this idea of sleeping in a treehouse – a childhood fantasy and the ultimate escape from the grown-up pressures of real life.

I stay in the Faraway Tree-house, aptly named for its setting in a paddock with views to open grassland and the Drakensburg beyond. A double storey tree-house with two decks - every window, door, step, wall hook and shelf is a bespoke work of art. Curved smooth golden timber meets the eye, and in every space there is a new discovery – some detailing which is as beautiful as it is humorous. The doors and some of the windows have curvy tree shapes laid over the glass. There are creative wooden brackets and hinges everywhere. The upstairs mirror has carved wooden lettering which reads at the top “What a sight...” and at the bottom of the mirror “for sore eyes.”

What I love about Sycamore Avenue Tree-houses:
• Individually styled double-storey tree-houses set against lovely old trees
• Creative and artistic detailing
• Fireplaces in open-plan bedrooms
• Private Jacuzzi baths with views of grasslands and the Berg
• Decks, hammocks and picnic tables under trees
• Caring accommodation comforts – heaters, hairdryers, fridges, tea and coffee facilities and downstairs toilets
• Fabulous meals served in a spacious restaurant with individual tables set against wide glass windows with lovely views
• Warm and generous hosting

Accommodation Experience:
I create my own little Nordic spa experience at the top of my tree-house - with a candle-lit, hot bubble bath in the Jacuzzi and wide open double doors to the winter night skies. I catch myself giving sighs of happiness. After my bath, still steaming from the heat, I go out onto the deck and the sight of the Milky Way and Southern Cross takes my breath away. Being up in this tree-house makes me feel like I can touch the stars and I want to be as free and as spacious as this clear night sky. In her poem, When I am among the trees, Mary Oliver writes:

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
And light flows from their branches.

And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."

Room Tip: Each treehouse is individually themed - choose your favourite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was my second stay at Sycamore - the first was in the Romantic treehouse and this time I stayed with my family in Planaquarium.
I really love Sycamore - it is an absolute masterpiece and there is something very special about staying in a work of art.
The service is absolutely wonderful and the food is so good. Sycamore is also well located for day trips along the Midlands Meander or into the Drakensberg.
It was very chilly when we were there and Planaquarium is very large so it got a bit cold but we were provided with lots of wood and spent many hours lounging away in front of the fire.
I will return again and again until I have stayed in every one of the gorgeous treehouses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We spent a couple of days a few years ago at Sycamore avenue in the Pegasus treehouse. It is exquisite in the attention to detail in the beautiful wood carvings. The jacuzzi, wood fire and view of horses grazing down below is perfect. The food was divine and the hosts made my small daughter's favourite meal specially for her as she doesn't eat curry! The apple muffins for breakfast were exceptional. The hosts gave us a great list of kid-friendly places to visit in the area. Although I was visiting with my little daughter, Sycamore Ave is the perfect place for a romantic getaway!! Lovely place and will definitely visit when in the area again!

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

This place is just magical. The treehouse a are all different and just stunning. The owners are great fun and really make you relax and feel at home. The food was of good quality and the bar was well stocked.
Would fully recommend and will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Greyton, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Amazing woodwork has gone into the designing of these beautiful tree houses. Attention to detail is amazing. Fireplaces for the cold, jacuzzis in ever tree. Each with it's own charm.
And the food is fantastic. Great presentation and extremely tasty with a good selection of wines to accompany the food. Thanks team! We will be back.

Room Tip: All stunning but faraway tree is special
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandton, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

What a magical stay my partner and I had at Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge. We stayed in the Faraway Treehouse which was absolutely superb. Best of all was that it was freezing cold outside, but with the fireplace in the bedroom and the jacuzzi upstairs, we had a divine and most comfortable stay.

The owners were extremely friendly, attentive and accommodating. All-in-all, a very different and highly recommended destination.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

What an incredible place. The Sycamore Avenue Treehouses are everything and more. I took my husband their for his birthday. Each Treehouse has its own theme. We were in the Bottle Treehouse, the ingenuity, thought and detail that has gone into each treehouse is remarkable. You feel like a kid all over again. The fireplaces in each treehouse, as well as those amazing jacuzzis, made for such a welcoming, especially as it was freezing the one night. Our hosts were the best ever, home from home, the food was beautiful, all fresh farm veggies, and the home made scones the best. I will definitely go back until weve stayed in each treehouse. Go Sycamore, you are remarkable

Room Tip: Its so difficult, as each Treehouse has its own unique theme, from the Bottlehouse to the Planequari...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sycamore Avenue Treehouse Lodge? Share your experiences!