The views from Casa Cubuy are absolutely breathtaking! We had an upper level room which looked over the mountains. Like other reviewers, we left our wall of doors open the entire time we were there. I can rave about everything as the other reviewers have (great breakfast, great hiking, fantastic people, etc.) however since so many people have done so before me, I will get to what I think it important for future travelers!
The first "problem" we had was that the website advertises free wi-fi. Assuming this, my husband and I decided we would get to the lodge from the airport, settle in then make a plan for the week. When we got there, there was no internet (the website has not been updated). Like otherd said, the drive into the closest town is a long one (and I don't think they had internet anyway) so we got somewhat stuck when we got there. In hindsight, we should have made a plan beforehand for our day trips and directions.
Secondly, as other reviewers mentioned, food was an issue. We stayed 4 nights, and the restaurant only opened once while we were there which was slightly misleading on the website. We had to go into Maunabo a couple times for meals. Along with the obscenely long drive, restaurant service in Puerto Rico is notoriously slow, so our "quick lunch" turned into a 4 hour trip down the mountain. I would absolutely recommend bringing food with you. There are no mini-fridges, but there is a drink cooler on the main floor for any food items you might have. Otherwise, take full advantage of the sandwich lunches they will make for you, but ask early! Again, had we known this before we went, we would have picked up some food for the room ahead of time and saved ourselves a lot of time and gas.
Thirdly, it is a rainforest and it is DAMP! Everything in the room was damp and I noticed our bed smelled like mildew (although it's a rainforest - it is inevitable). My husband didn't notice the smell, but it really bothered me. One of the guests arriving after us who had been there several times told us she always brings her own pillow for that reason. She just picks up a cheap one before arriving, that way she can throw it out if it gets too wet by the end of her stay. In all the reviews I read, no one else seems to have had this problem, so it may have just been a fluke occurrence.
Like I said, with better planning I would return to Casa Cubuy in a heartbeat. You certainly can't beat the peace and calm of the rainforest, and the lodge is absolutely fantastic! Despite the hiccups we experienced, I would highly recommend this place to everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The lodge is set into the mountain with a large balcony that overlooks the forest. There are ten guest rooms and a villa down the road. Its great for bird watching. Peace and tranquility can always be found at Casa Cubuy. Go ahead; be our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Casa Cubuy Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Cubuy Ecolodge Hotel Naguabo
- Casa Cubuy Ecolodge Puerto Rico/Naguabo