“With good planning, perfect!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Cubuy Ecolodge

You added Casa Cubuy Ecolodge to your Saves list
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Route 191 Km 22 | Rio Blanco, Naguabo 00744, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Naguabo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gainesville, Florida
“With good planning, perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The views from Casa Cubuy are absolutely breathtaking! We had an upper level room which looked over the mountains. Like other reviewers, we left our wall of doors open the entire time we were there. I can rave about everything as the other reviewers have (great breakfast, great hiking, fantastic people, etc.) however since so many people have done so before me, I will get to what I think it important for future travelers!

The first "problem" we had was that the website advertises free wi-fi. Assuming this, my husband and I decided we would get to the lodge from the airport, settle in then make a plan for the week. When we got there, there was no internet (the website has not been updated). Like otherd said, the drive into the closest town is a long one (and I don't think they had internet anyway) so we got somewhat stuck when we got there. In hindsight, we should have made a plan beforehand for our day trips and directions.

Secondly, as other reviewers mentioned, food was an issue. We stayed 4 nights, and the restaurant only opened once while we were there which was slightly misleading on the website. We had to go into Maunabo a couple times for meals. Along with the obscenely long drive, restaurant service in Puerto Rico is notoriously slow, so our "quick lunch" turned into a 4 hour trip down the mountain. I would absolutely recommend bringing food with you. There are no mini-fridges, but there is a drink cooler on the main floor for any food items you might have. Otherwise, take full advantage of the sandwich lunches they will make for you, but ask early! Again, had we known this before we went, we would have picked up some food for the room ahead of time and saved ourselves a lot of time and gas.

Thirdly, it is a rainforest and it is DAMP! Everything in the room was damp and I noticed our bed smelled like mildew (although it's a rainforest - it is inevitable). My husband didn't notice the smell, but it really bothered me. One of the guests arriving after us who had been there several times told us she always brings her own pillow for that reason. She just picks up a cheap one before arriving, that way she can throw it out if it gets too wet by the end of her stay. In all the reviews I read, no one else seems to have had this problem, so it may have just been a fluke occurrence.

Like I said, with better planning I would return to Casa Cubuy in a heartbeat. You certainly can't beat the peace and calm of the rainforest, and the lodge is absolutely fantastic! Despite the hiccups we experienced, I would highly recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: Our upper level room (Room 2) had a full queen and 2 twin beds. More than we needed, but perfect for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at Casa Cubuy our second night in Puerto Rico. Definitely arrive before it gets dark, as the road to the ecolodge is very twisty, but the directions on the website are good. We arrived later than we had hoped, but check in was no problem - we rang the bell and within a minute somebody was there to welcome us in. One of the owners met us and told us about the hiking trails on the property that led into the rainforest as well as giving us details on breakfast and anything else we needed to know. Rooms are not fancy - we had a bed, two night stands, an end table, and a couple of chairs; however, you don't need much, because I don't know why anybody would spend much time in their room in this setting. We had a lower level room that looked out onto the rainforest, which was literally steps away from the room, and there were two hammocks outside. These were great, as we spent that evening in the hammocks, reading and listening to the coquis. There are several trails the start on the property that lead into the rainforest, alongside rivers and waterfalls, with pools that are great for swimming. The breakfast the next morning was at 9, and was excellent and plentiful. It also provided a nice way to meet up with some of the other guests and share experiences.
All in all, this was a nice place to stay, and I like the family feel - between breakfast being all together and family style to the honor system of buying beverages in the upstairs common area. If I were to improve on it, I'd do the following (both related to price): 1.) Charge less - it was a bit spendy. 2.) Get rid of the one night fee - we paid an extra charge to only stay one night - $20. I would recommend this, especially for people who are interested in a unique stay in an absolutely stunning setting.

Room Tip: If you have extra money, go with an upstairs room, but from what I saw, you're not missing out o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My 12 year old daughter and I spent 12 days touring the island, and LOVED our stay at the heavenly Casa Cubuy.

It is exactly what it says it is, a lodge, not the Hilton. View the photos and see for yourself. There is beautiful art throughout the lodge and in the rooms. It is a mountain retreat!

The breakfasts were wonderful! Maryann and Matthew are wonderful. Be careful and ask them when their restaurant closes bc they said 8 pm, but it closed early the night we came back, and we had to go go a loud place a few miles down the road.

Room Tip: Glad we got the upper room with balcony. Nice splurge, but other rooms nice as well.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

While most of the tourism, hotels, tours etc...along with pictures you typically see are from the North side of El Yunque, Casa Cubuy is located on the "off the beaten path" South side of the rain forest. The result is a secluded, quiet place to stay with much more local flare than the North side and a fantastic view of the mountains and the sound of the coqui to put you to sleep at night. Also, there are very few mosquitos, as the coqui take care of that problem! We were there for 2 days and never had to apply bug repellent.

Casa Cubuy is a great place to stay to hike or just kick back with a good book and relax. Some of the hiking trails take you past small rivers with pools to swim in and others take you further into the rain forest. If you just want to relax and enjoy the view, Casa Cubuy provides a nice common area with plenty of chairs.

Breakfast is included with your room rate and always includes fresh fruits from on the property or very nearby. They also have a sack lunch menu that they pack up for you to take along hiking or swimming (I highly recommend this, as there are no stores nearly, nor are there refrigerators in the rooms). The Casa runs a small restaurant just down the road, with good food (local recipes, as well as more "american" food) and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. There are also 2 local bar/restaurants further down the road that have local food options. Be aware that there is little English spoken at these 2 places but the people are very friendly and the food is good.

Room Tip: I recommend paying the add'l funds for a 2nd floor, balcony room. The views are great and you ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for five nights in May and we LOVED it! We paid a little extra for an upstairs room and the view was incredible! The entire back wall of the room was floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors. We left them open almost all the time because there were no mosquitoes! We could hear the river rushing over rocks below and, of course, the famous coqui at night. The temperature was perfect. We thought we’d be hot without AC, but up in the mountain all you have to do is leave the doors open and get a nice breeze. We actually got cold at night when we left the doors all the way open.

The room was very simple and pretty far from civilization, which is our style. No TV, no gadgets, no cell reception. Sometimes I wish we had had cell reception but you learn to get along without it. The only thing I got annoyed with was the lack of restaurants and food nearby. There is a great restaurant within walking distance run by the owners of Casa Cubuy, but most days it was not open. You are staying at the top of a long mountain road...it took us 10-15 minutes just to get to the bottom of the mountain and then another 15-20 minutes to get to Fajardo. Even in Fajardo we had trouble finding restaurants that were open in the evening. In general, we spent a lot of time driving around looking for food.

Breakfast, though, was very easy. Casa Cubuy served a great breakfast every morning. There was always fresh mango, pineapple, and other fruit. They’d also have porridge and rotate through a few other things like pancakes one day and hashbrowns the next. All the food was delicious.

We spent a lot of time hiking. There’s a trail that starts right behind Casa Cubuy that leads to the river and a waterfall. You can walk on the rocks to get across the river and keep going. We crossed a second river and made it all the way to a deep freshwater pool where we swam for a while. We had it completely to ourselves and could jump off one of the rocks into the pool. It was a lot of fun! We also walked up the road to the entrance to the National Park. We hiked a trail that starts behind a big “Prohibido El Paso” sign that everyone told us to ignore. We passed several waterfalls and came to an amazing view at the end where we could see all the way to the ocean. That hike took a good 6 to 6.5 hours because we were taking so many pictures of the gorgeous views.

I highly recommend Casa Cubuy if you want a quiet retreat away from civilization in the midst of incredible natural beauty.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This place is lovely, perched in the rainforest, enveloped by the sound of the nearby waterfall and the coquis. Marianne, the wonderful proprietor, is almost a forest creature herself, and her staff are charming and competent. The upper rooms feel a bit like treehouses. Breakfast is amazing. And her trails have it all over the tourist-jammed park.

I could cope with the mildew in the wardrobe, but I wish they would use unscented laundry products to accommodate those who are sensitive. The chemical smell drove us out after one night.

Room Tip: Stay away from the lower rooms, unless you have no sense of smell. They get no cross ventilation and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I'm not quite sure where to start. Overall, I had an amazing experience at Casa Cabuy. I guess I'll start with what made it a great stay, and why I'll probably be back.

The location and property is simply breathtaking. The hotel perches on the edge of a hill, looking out onto a huge rainforest valley. From our room, we could see several waterfalls, and watch the clouds change over the mountains. It was relaxing, and the perfect place to find tranquility. One night, we were sitting out in the open air "lobby" area playing cards, and we saw not one, but 3 coqui frogs. Marianne, the owner, even brought one up that she'd found and let us hold it and take pictures of it before we set it free. Coquis are sometimes elusive, so this was really cool.

I love that the eco lodge is so close to so many hiking options. A 10 minute walk from the hotel takes you to a stunning waterfall, and if you continue over it, there's about an hour's worth of trails that the folks at Casa Cabuy maintain. It's a bit of an adventure; most of the trails are not maintained so much as marked. It became a sort of scavenger hunt, finding the next bit of yellow caution tape to discover where to walk next. Being young and energetic, I loved the path and feeling like I was really in the midst of nature rather than walking in a park.

Our room at the hotel was great too. One entire wall of it was floor-to-ceiling windows looking out over the rainforest. The room was comfortable and clean. No frills, but we didn't need them. There was a hammock in our room, which we appreciated.

Breakfast each morning was another highlight. The food was plentiful and delicious, and I really enjoyed conversation with other travelers who were staying there.

Now...here's why I say the place might benefit from having other people in charge. The owner, Marianne, is great. She's really friendly and helpful with information about hiking, etc. However, she's also getting quite up there in years, and I had the distinct impression that she's reached the point where she's sort of done trying to bend over backwards to please people, and she's sick of people who aren't perfect guests, because those people make more work for her. Understandable. But not a great attitude if you're in the customer service field.

Here was our situation. I called ahead to make our reservation for 2 nights. We wanted a lower level room (less expensive because the view isn't quite as great--but still good rooms). The first night was going to be just 2 people, and then 2nd night 2 more were coming. I made the reservation, clarifying that I wanted to be in the same room both nights. Matthew, who took my reservation, assured me that this would be fine. When we got there and were shown to our room by Marianne, however, there was only a Queen and one Twin bed. I explained to her that we needed beds for 4, and she said she'd need to move us to a room on the upper floor that would fit 4. That wouldn't have been a big deal at all, except that she still charged us for the upgrade. In my opinion, if I reserved a lower level room and was told it would meet my needs, I should only be charged the lower level rate once the mistake was realized. That didn't make sense in Marianne's head, however. She just kept shaking her said and saying, "I don't know what you want me to do. There are no rooms on the lower level that fit four people."

There are also a laundry list of extra charges that the place tacks on. We paid $50 for 2 extra people to stay our second night (on top of the rate difference on the room upgrade). A binder in the room lists other potential costs. Want them to do your laundry? $20 per load (washed and dried). Forget a personal item and want it back? That'll cost $25 PLUS the cost of shipping. And you'd better make sure you don't dirty the sheets! If you stain them, you'll be charged $50 for the cleaning; $75 if the stain is permanent.

The property and the vision is FANTASTIC. I spent 2 days in heaven there. I wish I could give it 5 stars, but due to poor customer service and high prices, I can't. I will, however, probably stay with them again.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms are guaranteed a great view, but some rooms on the lower level have great windows...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Cubuy Ecolodge? Share your experiences!