“Lovely stay at West Burton” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grange

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Burton
The Grange
You added The Grange to your Saves list
DL8 4JR, West Burton DL8 4JR, England   |
UK
“Lovely stay at West Burton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at The Grange for one night and was really pleased to find they had a room for us. The owner made a great effort to enable us to stay despite the decorators being in for some work. The whole house is beautiful and the furnishings, decor and artefacts fitted in well with this period house. Our room was of a high standard, with a beautiful roomy bathroom, clean and well maintained. The owner made us feel welcome, without any fuss which we like when choosing a place to stay. Breakfast was fantastic, served in a character dining room. We have stayed at West Burton many, many times over the last 12 years, it really is a beautiful dales village. Will stay again at The Grange when we get the chance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a great stay here recently, did not book prior just turned up and was welcomed by the owner, great room, well maintained and decorated, fab house to stay in with lots of history.
I see past reviews with very petty comments, most likely city people who expect a 5 star hotel service and to be called sir and madam.... The Grange is in the best location with plenty of activities to keep you busy around the area.. If you want a place to stay which is full of history, great owners and free to do what you want to do then this is the place. Thank you!
Ps great breakfast in the dining room, choice of cereals and the owner will cook a great fry up for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Essen, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very short and hectic welcome, water boiler standing on the floor (we had no possibility to arrange this otherwise). No possibility to open two of the three windows, shower out of function. No reaction when we told this, no concession concerning the price.Chair in the room with broken cover. The breakfast was the worst (burnt ham) during our three-week-trip. Absolutely not what we expected in a five star accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wallsend, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I, my partner and my in-laws rented out both the apartment and the grange out houses to celebrate New Year 2012 - 2013. We only really saw the staff when we had to ask where we had to go to enter the properties and they told us of the keys and such. A girl came and met us and showed us around the two properties and told us just to go over if we needed anything. We met the partner of one of the family the next day. He brung us a better TV and had good manners.

As to be expected these are self catering facilities so we took with us almost anything we'd have used at home. We had
No problems with either properties facilities such as showers or toilets. However the damp in the grange stable house was terrible and the double bedroom really smelt bad of damp. The stable house was decorated very nice but everything felt a little dirty because of the dampness.

One big problem is that there is NO MOBILE SIGNAL OR WIFI! I was genuinely gutted about this because at time of flooding we had nothing to do but watch tv or play on the ipad. The logo game had us all entertained.

I'd defiantly return but I'd suggest they get some sort of WiFi if economically viable and that they sort out the stable house dampness. Also the two single beds in the other room were different. One canvas and one metal frame. The metal frame bed seemed flimsy and unstable and the canvas bed was great. I'd suggest two canvass beds or another double bed.

Also when we were setting the settee bed up we noticed it had been home to a few mice so we couldn't really use it for all the droppings. Later that night one of the mice had a good hike around the livingroom.

I'd suggest to anyone to stay here but take entertainment and extra bedding.

Stayed December 2012
Annapolis Valley, NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at The Grange for a walking weekend in mid-September. It is a very interesting old house stuffed full of antiques, Asia/Sub-Continent artifacts and local items (i.e. a huge stuffed Badger in a glass case and carved elephants, etc.). My room was large with a queen bed, couch and chair, large wardrobe and alcove closet, and a large bathroom with a big, claw foot bathtub with hand held shower attachment, coffee/tea making supplies and small TV.

I arrived on Friday around 17:00 to find a note on the door with my room key, as the host was returning from vacation and the stand-in had to leave early, this was okay and somewhat indicative of the safety of the local area, but became problematic when the lights in the bathroom didn't work (well there was 1 small bulb but the others had blown out), and I had to leave the curtain open in order to shave. After my first morning, I asked if the duvet could be replaced with a sheet and blanket, which was done, but I had to ask again that night for the bulbs to be replaced. On my last night, one of the end table lamps blew a bulb which shorted out the bathroom lights, fortunately I can brush my teeth in the dark. I was also disappointed to find that there were only 2 channels on the telly, as there isn't a lot to do after 21:00 in West Burton.

Overall, the service was adequate; the breakfast was good, if not the most cheerful service. Perhaps my minor problems were just my bad luck, or it could be just a function of staying in an old house? I would consider staying here again but then there isn't a lot of choice in West Burton, which I consider to be the prettiest village in the Yorkshire Dales.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

very warm welcome very nice people lovely rooms were stuck in flood waters no were to stay had our dog with us breakfast lovely even put us a pack lunch up free of charge for our trip home would highly recommend it to anyone mr and mrs hope durham

Room Tip: any all are lovely
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcestershire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

A delightful village but a poor choice of accommodation.
The cold, dark dining-room and the general air of grubbiness might have been excused had the welcome been warm or friendly, as it invariably was at all the other places we stayed at.
We shall not return.

Room Tip: Don't rely on the website
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grange? Share your experiences!