“Lovely old pub with character.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Green Dragon

You added The Green Dragon to your Saves list
The Green Dragon
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   28 High Street, Market Lavington, Devizes SN10 4AG, England   |
“Lovely old pub with character.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have stayed on 2 occasions recently. The rooms are lovely with dressing gown and plenty of towels provided. Home made biscuits in the room were a nice touch. In some rooms there is no en suite but each room has a bathroom for sole use. Breakfast is excellent and overall the Green Dragon provides excellent value for money and good quality accommodation.

• Stayed May 2013
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed your stays with us and appreciate the uniqueness of this lovely old pub with character.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cairo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in a room above the pub for one night back in July 2012. We were greeted in the pub by a friendly young girl working behind the bar who called the landlord to show us upstairs. He didn't give us a warm welcome and scorned impolitely at the young girl asking her if we'd signed in or not. He didn't even say hello to us. When we went upstairs, we found that our room did not have an ensuite bathroom. There was a communal bathroom and toilet that had to be reached outside of the bedroom on the corridor. The advert that we saw when booking the room said "private bathroom" which was a little misleading. However, we were lucky that there were not many rooms occupied when we stayed, so there were no awkward encounters on the landing in my dressing down in the middle of the night. Sleeping was a little uncomfortable as the age of the building means that the floors are not level and my bed was leaning to one side. The bathroom and toilet appeared to be clean but I was always aware that i could not take a long relaxing bath in case another guest was waiting, and on the other hand, it could not be guaranteed when the bath was last cleaned if another guest had used it before me. Nevertheless, I took a soak in the bath, but had to leave quickly, running back to my room in my dressing gown due to a massive spider appearing on my towel. On a high note,breakfast was a treat after a rather bizarre stay. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We are sorry you were disappointed by your stay last Summer. The bathroom is private as stated and only for the guest who is booked into that room or if you travel with friends, with them. However due to the age of the building we cannot help the odd spider and wonky floors!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I went to this restaurant tonight with a group of friends and I have to say that a big disappointment it was too! We mainly ordered steaks- which after the waitress took our order 3 times they came out completely wrong and the steaks were of poor quality. 2 of the steaks were sent back to the kitchen and returned still red (they were asked to be well done.)
We highlighted that the other steaks were very chewy but the waitress shrugged before walking off making no attempt to correct this. This combined with having to ask for the correct cutlery twice and for the right sides which were also wrong made our food cold.

We complained to the manager only for a poor attitude and response. A couple of our party went to toilet and as they returned they could hear the staff at the bar and our waitress talking about us in a derogatory way, and that was only the bits we heard!

When we finally had the bill we were charged for things we never had including a glass of wine and a pint of beer! This was begrudgingly taken off the bill with only one of the steaks! Not much of a good will gesture!

All in all it was an awful experience coupled with a unprofessional response by staff! The only positive is that the desserts were very yummy!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I am sorry you and your friends had such a disappointing experience at The Green Dragon and that we were unable to resolve your issues to your satisfaction at the time.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

stayed one night in the ensuite and also had dinner and breakfast. very friendly traditional country pub. excellent value and particularly good and friendly service. lots of considerate touches like tissues, range of teas/coffee in room, tv that worked easily, lovely quality sheets, quaint and cosy. Food very good and we are extremely fussy. Only negative for us was that we like a rock hard mattress and this was soft, but that's just personal taste.
Five stars might give people the wrong impression because this is not a 5 star rated establishment. however, for service and value, it is five stars

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay, sorry the mattress was soft for you but as you said personal taste.
Hope to see you another time.
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

How I wish the Green Dragon were closer to home. I went there last week with my wife and enjoyed one of the best pub meals we have ever had. Service was fast and friendly, portions were a decent size, the entire place has a good atmopshere and for me, they serve the best pint of Wadworth's 6X anywhere in the area, a tribute to the cellar management of the tenant here. I opted for the gammon steak whilst my wife chose the pork fillet, and everything was cooked perfectly.

It's warm and cosy inside, a lovely retreat on a cold, wintry day. It's a shame we had the car as I could quite happily have enjoyed another couple of beers, plus my wife said her red wine was just perfect too. I don't recall what we paid in total, I think it was around £26 which was great value for money. If only it were closer....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicky W, Owner at The Green Dragon, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your visit to our pub, hope to see you again, it's not that far from Devizes!
Nicky
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Superb food and very welcoming, the atmosphere is fantastic, all the locals and visitors were very friendly. Great place, great hosts, loved it to bits. Can't wait to return. Superb food and very welcoming, the atmosphere is fantastic, all the locals and visitors were very friendly. Great place, great hosts, loved it to bits. Superb food and very welcoming, the atmosphere is fantastic, all the locals and visitors were very friendly. Great place, great hosts, loved it to bits.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room with onsuite.