“Popa Paradise is indeed paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Popa Paradise Beach Resort
Punta Laurel | Bocas del Toro, Isla Popa, Panama   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Isla Popa
San Antonio, Texas
“Popa Paradise is indeed paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I just spent 6 days at Popa Paradise and we were quite impressed by the whole experience. The food is 5 star (do not go here to lose weight!) and the staff and management knows how to make your visit perfectly idyllic. The little cabanas spread across the grounds above the beach are peaceful and well furnished, the pool and bar and main building are the activity center, but still tranquil. None of the non-stop party stuff like in Negil or swarms of noisy kids like at Club Med.

You really have to want to be at Popa Paradise, because it is a 30 minute boat ride from Bocas Town and the airport...not a stop for day trippers. For me, the best places are always a bit off the beaten path. Hats off to Dyllan, Nicole, Maddie, and Andre for making this place the best value in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: The separate cabanas are the best and if you have a large party, the big house at the point (up/down...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Many thanks for your great review and your kind words. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you see you back in paradise soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We came to this resort for our honeymoon for seven days. Although it rained most of the days we were here my wife and I had a blast. The entire time during our stay we felt like millionaires. The staff was amazing and want to especially thank Nicole was super personable and set up the most romantic dinner ever and Maddi the most awesome creative chef who makes amazing food that is very presentable. Andre the excursion manager is also a pro and very knowledgeable. I would definitely not pass the snorkeling up. I want to thank all the staff for making this a very memorable trip. Dylan,the manager, and staff are some of the friendliest, professional, accommodating resort/hotel people I have ever encountered. If you are looking to go here I would not pass up this opportunity. Thank you guys again. Nicolai and Juliana

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Many thanks for your kind words and your great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your honeymoon at Popa Paradise, hope to see you back here for many anniversaries.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This review is a little late, but I couldn't forget to review one of the most amazing places I've ever stayed (and I travel a lot!).

My boyfriend and I stayed at Popa Paradise from May 23-26, after spending 3 days in Panama City. This was a great end to our already fantastic vacation. Everything was on point, from the welcome drinks when we arrived, the room, the pool, the beach, the delicious food we were served for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the unlimited drinks!!!

We couldn't have asked for anything more. We also did a snorkeling excursion to Crawl Cay and a zipline tour. I would highly recommend doing the snorkeling excursion....the zipline tour, however, was just okay in my opinion.

If you plan to go to Bocas del Toro, you MUST stay at Popa Paradise.....you definitely won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Many thanks for your great review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your vacation at Popa Paradise and look forward to welcoming you back.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We visited Popa Paradise the first weekend in May and had a fantastic time there. Popa Paradise is an all-inclusive resort on an sparsely populated Island. The hotel managers Dillon and Darion make certain that everyone feels welcomed and are extremely personable and entertaining. We started our journey to the island following a torrential downpour at the dock, delaying the trip about 40 minutes, and then took the boat ride to the island, wondering what we had gotten ourselves into, as the boat drove through nothing but mangrones and by seemingly undeveloped islands. Then the boat took a sharp turn and the dock and gorgeous becah came into view. We followed the captain up a paved path to check-in where we were greeted at the door with fresh coconut drinks with a tropical flower in them. Since we came in the off-season, we were upgraded to a casita. The Casita was absolutely charming with all the creature comforts of home (AC if you want it, a fan, a TV, a little fridge, satellite, internet, etc). The deck had a fantastic view of the Jungle, and a couple comfy chairs to relax in. The food was absolutely amazing. Breakfast offered both continental spread, as well as hot food cooked to order. We always had a wide variety of things to choose from for both lunch and dinner and every meal was spot-on. The Wine bar had an excellent selection of wines to choose from, and teh swim-up bar was well stocked. If we were hungry for a snack, the staff was also happy to make up somthing to nosh on. The grounds are just beautiful with pineapple plants, tropical flowers, palm trees dispersed heavily amongst the landscape. Tours are available with their on-site guide and I reccomend taking a few. We did the zipline tour at Red Frog Beach and had a blast, and we also spent a day in Bocas browsing amongst the shops. I spent most of my time by the pool, which was paradise on earth, perfect temp, a swim up bar, quiet and relaxing, with comfy lounges surrounding it. We stayed for 4 nights and I'm still dreaming of a return trip.

Room Tip: This is an amazing place, but keep in mind it's also a self-sustaining eco resort. If you are e...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your great review. We are so pleased you have an outstanding vacation with us and look forward to welcoming you back to paradise.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed 4 days, June 8-11, and we had a wonderful experience. I would say "stay" as is used in hotel reviews; however, "experience" seems to fit! We arrived on air Panama, were met by a representative who took us directly to the boat, and Nash then zoomed us across the beautiful water (very calm), to Isla Popa. As we rode along in the boat, we saw beautiful pelicans and parrots, fish jumping, and many locals enjoying a day of fishing. As we rounded the corner to the dock at Popa Paradise, my husband and I both just grinned ear-to-ear! It is positively beautiful! We then headed up to the lobby to check in and were greeted very warmly by Nicole and Matty. We were immediately given a fresh coconut to drink (delightful!) and then got settled into casita 4, which is closest to the clubhouse and pool area. We found it to be just lovely and convenient to simply walk a few steps to get our morning coffee in the clubhouse. After getting settled in, we walked the grounds and were just amazed at the construction of such a beautiful place--in a jungle/rainforest on a remote island!! Popa Paradise is an eco-lodge; yet, the layout of the property and the service delivery is that of a 5-star resort. Within a few moments of our arrival, I met the "four-legged" members of the Popa staff: Thiago and Luca, the two resident beagles and Mimi and Georgie, the two resident cats. It was wonderful to have the ability to play with "critters" while on vacation, as I missed my own animals very much. Thiago, especially, is just a happy little beagle who seems to be the four-legged ambassador for all the guests! One thing my husband wanted to ensure that we put in our review is that the staff knows how to anticipate your needs--and they are incredibly perceptive about identifying when you want private, quiet time. We loved spending time at the bar, enjoying the various libations that Nicole made for us with fresh pineapple and mangos, listening to great music, and bantering Handre and Bev, and rest of the staff. Yet, when we wanted to tuck away on a chaise lounge to get back into our books, they instantly recognized this. As a former hospitality industry professional and current road warrior/Hilton Hhonors Diamond member, I consider myself a good judge of service professionals. The staff at Popa can easily teach the big, global service brands a thing or two about service delivery! Dyllan, the GM, sets expectations for the service delivery and provides excellent leadership to the staff. So the execution is there--from sunup to sundown. Darion is an absolute delight with his great sense of humor and zest for life! He also ensured that things were running smoothly each day. Handre arranged for us to go scuba diving one day, through LaBuga in BocasTown, which was fantastic. And, last but certainly not least, we have to acknowledge Matt for his culinary talents that never ceased to amaze us! We enjoyed delicious meals, ranging from a fantastic lunch consisting of a mahi-mahi sandwich with fries to dinners of seafood prepared with a local Panamanian sauce (wow!!), filet mignon, and an Asian-fusion dish one evening. Lobsters were not in season this time of year, but we hardly noticed since we enjoyed everything else so much! This resort is exactly as described in the brochure: "bare-foot luxury." So, with that said, ladies leave your hair dryers, flat irons and your usual footwear at home. The walking paths are all smooth concrete, but some are steep heading down to the beach. Bring a few pairs of flip flops and nicer sandals for evening time. It is humid (it's the tropics...), so bring hair clips or pins. My favorite article of clothing was a pair of loose-fitting linen pants. I wished I had brought more of them! The pants kept the mosquitoes from biting my legs. However, you must bring bug spray, particularly the time of year (June) and definitely bring anti-itch cream/gel. Other items we advise you to bring: a lightweight raincoat, small umbrella, sunscreen, and caps/hats for lounging by the pool, and a long-sleeve sweater/sweatshirt as the a/c units are very powerful and you may find it chilly in the casita with the a/c running. With that said, the casitas are very pretty, have a refrigerator stocked with water each day, and are very clean. The moment we went to breakfast, the housekeeper was in our casita tidying up. The resort does have wi-fi connectivity, satellite TV with quite a lot of channels, and they are continually improving the connectivity. However, even with the access there--we didn't want it! The gorgeous surroundings just cause you to forget about the rest of the world--at least for a little while!
My husband Ken and I will definitely be back, and we've already recommended Popa Paradise to several of our friends! Thank you Dyllan, Darion, Nicole, Matty, Handre, Bev, Thiago, Luca, Mimi, Georgie, and all the other staff members for a positively amazing experience!

Room Tip: Casita 4 is closest to the clubhouse.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Wow, many thanks for your outstanding review and your very kind words. It was such a pleasure meeting you and we are so pleased you have a great vacation with us. We look forward to welcoming our new friends back to paradise soon!
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I visited Popa Paradise in mid April and I spend time daydreaming about going back. It is an adventure to get there and that is a portion of the joy we found there. Dylan, Darion, Handre and each person employed at Popa Paradise welcomed and served us with obvious enthusiasm and care. We felt more like we were visiting a beautiful mansion with attentive hosts. Do not look for the disco or slot machines. We had a TV however the nature show and natural beauty crowded out any desire to do anything but ooh and ahhh out in the environs.
I could not wait for the evening GONG because the food and drink that it alerted us to tasted deliciously with a beautiful presentation.
Dylan and all care deeply about the environment and the original residents of the island. The soap is made there by the local people as a way to creatively partner together. He gave me a bar to take home with me. It smells too good to use. The flora and fauna around the beautiful grounds are designed and cared for in an unobtrusive manner.
Make certain the Nash and Handre take you for snorkeling and dolphin watching. They know their stuff and will do all in there power to personally care for your safe and adventurous time.
The pool is tastefully designed. I had a little green frog sit on my head while in the pool on the last day.
We love kids. This place does not want children staying on property and for me, this time, that requirement added enjoyment.
Do not miss the Friday night beach buffet at Rosie's. I won't spoil the the surprise by reporting this event.
We went for a vacation and ended up with friends in paradise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dyllan M, General Manager at Popa Paradise Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Many thanks for your very kind works and your great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back in paradise soon!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed at Popa Paradise in May of 2014. I cannot say enough good things about this place.
The location is gorgeous, on an island off the coast of Bocas del Toro. It is a bit of an adventure to get to as you have to fly to the small Bocas airport and then take a van to a dock and a 30 minute boat ride to the property’s dock, but everything is provided for by management so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
We were greeted by the wonderful General Manager with coconut drinks in hand and a tour of the beautiful property and grounds. Our room (casita 6) was up on a little cliff facing the ocean very close to the beach, which was very lovely. The bed was very comfortable and the room is air conditioned, although we enjoyed the sea breeze coming in through the huge balcony.
The food is absolutely superb and abundant. We had something different to eat every day, and the setting for our meals could not have been better by the pool and beautiful lush gardens.
The lovely folks who work and manage the hotel are so nice and friendly, it feels like you’re hanging out at friends’ (very awesome) house by the beach.
We went on a tour of the jungle around the grounds with a wonderful local guide; you step 15 feet away from the property and are immersed in a pristine rainforest, complete with creeks and huge jungle trees. Unfortunately it was raining (it is after all a rainforest) so most wildlife was away though we did see interesting insects and wonderful vegetation.
We also went on a snorkeling trip which was the highlight of our stay. The amount of sea critters that we saw was truly astonishing. The water was crystal clear and warm and the fish and other wildlife were completely unafraid of people. We stretched out our hands and could almost touch them (some of them were bold enough to try to take little nips at us if we got too close to their home!). We saw gorgeous corals, spider crabs, anemones, gigantic sea urchins, all manner of fish in all colors, sizes and varieties, sea stars, etc. It was a short boat ride and the hotel provides all snorkeling gear (I recommend taking rash guards in case of jellyfish although the ones that were present were tiny and we could barely feel their sting).
I loved how the hotel is also conscious about the environment while still managing to offer all the comforts of home. They had rainwater available for drinking (I just refilled my one water bottle throughout my stay for the most part, I recommend you do the same).
All in all I would whole-heartedly recommend Popa Paradise to anybody looking for a place to really unwind and relax.

Room Tip: Definitely go with the Casitas! Casita 6 is on a cliff by the beach and seems secluded, although the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your great review and your kind words. It was our pleasure meeting you and look forward to seeing you back in paradise soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Popa
Garden of Eden Inn
Garden of Eden Inn
#1 of 1 in Isla Solarte
5.0 of 5 stars 268 reviews

Been to Popa Paradise Beach Resort? Share your experiences!