“Amazing Place!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Campo Aventura

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cochamo
Campo Aventura
Valle Cochamo s/n, Cochamo, Chile   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights at campo aventura riverside lodge with my boyfriend at the end of January and our experience was amazing! The staff was very knowledgable and helpful and the lodge and surrounding area was beyond beautiful. While staying there we took part in the horseback riding day program and hiking. I only wish we had more time so we could have stayed at the mountain lodge as well.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This November I discovered Campo Aventura in Cochamo, Chile. I spent many glorious days contemplating incredible skies, snow covered mountains, swimming in a cold mountain stream and horseback riding.

Campo Aventura consists of two lodges, one next to the Cochomo River, the Riverside Lodge and the other in the rain forest of Cochomo Valley, the Mountainside lodge.

I chose to take a 3 day horse riding adventure through the rain forest. I have only ridden a horse a couple of times in my life, Day one was 5 hours on a horse. The second day, I spent exploring the Chochamo Valley. Day three - another 5 hour ride out of the forest. I was astounded how well the horse could navigate the path through mud and rocks and rivers. For me, it was an experience of a lifetime.

During the days that I was at Campo Aventura, there were families, friends and single people. Campers, hikers, bikers, stoping for afternoon tea or to spend a day or a few days.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
North Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Kurt runs a great place here. I love the location, very remote in the gorgeous Cochamo valley behind the rural town of cochamo. But, it was really Kurt's personalized attention that got us. his place is perfectly rustic. He is not looking for scale or volume, and as a result he individually helps each of his 10 - 15 guests. We stayed in his guest house, which our three kids said felt like "little house on the prairie". It was remote enough to feel unique, but was still very comfortable with 5 good beds, hot water for a shower, and a heating unit at night when the mountain temps drop down.

We had a beautiful first day kayaking on the water in the fjord. That alone was worth the trip, but even the guide said that we had one of the most beautiful days of the year -- sun was out, wind was behind us, tide was gently pushing us in, and we even saw a sea lion and small black dolphins.

When we checked in, Kurt had a picnic setting of tea and blueberry kuchen waiting for us. the kids then went down to play in the river, and later went up to check out the horses at the barn. The next day, we had a great all day ride up the mountain into the valley. I wish we had more time to get up to his upper valley camp where the real peaks are. I understand that they do some great climbing expeditions and multi-day rides from there.

Anyway, this was a great place and we definitely recommend it for adventurous families who like to get off the beaten path. Kurt is a very interesting and educated guy, who not only understands the nature of the area, but who is also trying to have a lasting impact on the social, cultural and environmental impact in the valley. We felt like the profits of our stay were going to a great cause.

Room Tip: Families of 5 or less should try for his cabin. It's very unique and rustic if you like that k...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We visited the Riverside Lodge for two nights and rode horses for a day. Every one was helpful and friendly and we enjoyed the pristine setting. Not the easiest place to get to, near Cochamo, but very enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Beautiful setting, off the "beaten track". Lovely people who make you feel very much "at home". Activities are however expensive. - though if that is not an issue for you, then it is an ideal spot. You need to walk approximately five minutes from where you leave the car so you need a backpack rather than a suitcase- but makes it more "fun" and remote feeling. Needless to say the scenery is stunning in that area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Having kayaked on the fjord I was dropped off at Campo Aventura's Riverside Lodge. Acces was by a rickety footbridge and then across a field. Lovely welcome by the hostess who promptly set a cup of tea (the best I've had in Chile) and an apple tart in front of me. That evening I had lovely salmon dish and chatted away to other guests who were equally as enchanted with the place - they also had stayed at the Mountain Lodge in La Junta which they also highly recommended but alas I did not have time for this. The bed was very comfortable and the shower fantastic. The following day, after a delicious breakfast, we set off on a day horse ride - my horse was very well-trained and cared for, and coped well with the rocky, and at times steep and muddy, terrain . The vistas were stunning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Campo Aventura was the base camp for our 8 day horseback trip on the Gaucho Trail in Chilean Patagonia. Campo Aventura is located in the Cochamo Valley. Clear rivers, beautiful mountains, numerous waterfalls, exquisite scenery. Prior to leaving on our adventure, we spent a day white-water rafting and taking a leisurely hike in the local mountains and along the river. At the base camp, the Riverside Lodge, we stayed in a lovely, comfortable cottage and enjoyed excellent food! On the trail we camped at various places including local haciendas and a national park. Our last stop was Campo Aventura's comfortable Mountain Lodge where we did some hiking into the mountains and enjoyed the "water slide". I was a bit sad riding my horse back to Riverside on the last day, knowing the adventure was coming to an end.

Hosts Armin and Kurt are very welcoming and flexible and their Camp is situated at the entrance to the Cochamo River Valley, set amidst hills and with mountain views, yet close to a tidal fjord (where we also went sea kayaking). The longer horseback trips ask a degree of flexibility, physically and otherwise, but are infinitely more than worth the effort.

We would highly recommend Campo Aventura to anyone who wants to get to know a spectacular section of Chile, is interested in the environment and wants an adventure!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Campo Aventura? Share your experiences!