“A destination restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Chicago
“A destination restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just as history is a series of unintended consequences, so too was one of the best meals I have ever had. Briefly put, this place should be given a try if you happen to be within 60 km of it. (I'll be making a longer pilgrimage in the near future). In comparison to the many Michelin starred and recommended restaurants I have eaten at in Chicago (my hometown), this one is as good or even better.
On the recommendation of Eduardo at Il Fauno B&B my family and I came to Verace for dinner the night before we were to tour Pompeii. Walking there I was not expecting anything special; in the U.S. a small town like Scafati will typically have forgettable food. Entering Verace was a bit of a surprise, though, and it let me know that I might be in for something unexpected. The decor is more formal than a place that labels itself as a "pizza and restaurant" establishment, but there is not the air of stuffiness that kills an enjoyable night of dining. Alberto Fontana (who we later learned owns the place, is the chef, and will become your new best friend) took special care of us. We asked him to bring us his best/favorite dishes and drinks, and I am glad we did. Having a guided experience from beginning to end with his suggested wine pairings is the way to go. After all, who else will know what will sing other than the chef? Even on dishes that I thought would be dull (like the lasagna he brought out) were reinterpretations of the dish that defied my preconceptions. As a helpful hint (not to disparage anything) I will say that while the a great amount to business is done filling orders for the great wood fired pizza, ordering pizza (especially to go) alone misses the point. This is a time not to eat to live but to live to eat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Unexpected delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were recommend this restaurant by Eduardo from B&B Il Fauno and dropped by after a long day in Naples. The decor was very classy and the host wonderful. We had some of the best pizza of our italian trip here and the wine was unexpectable good too. If we had the energy we would have stayed for the Firday night Karaoke.

Visited April 2013