“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Marjorie 'Y'

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tema
Hotel Marjorie 'Y'
Tema General Hospital Road, Tema BT 476, Ghana   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Tema
Amsterdam
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

i must admit i was a bit hesitant about booking a hotel in Tema for very good reasons. i was however quite impressed during my 5 day stay at this hotel. Beautiful and clean hotel grounds with modern facilities in the room. most of the staff were quite attentive and helpful and the pool was quite spectacular and clean compared to others i'v seen. The only setback was the breakfast buffet which could do with more options, especially the eggs. with stable wi-fi in my room and the lobby i most definitely got my money's worth.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a barely adequate hotel, the only real advantage that it is near the port for work. It is clean. Like many places in Ghana, the female staff are on the whole extremely unfriendly and clearly not happy serving people - the exception being Lily, who is charming. The male staff seem more willing to help. Why is this? Ghanians are some of the nicest and warmest people I have ever met. The female receptionists look at you with utter disdain when you ask for your key - why should you have the audacity to ask for your key? I just tried to get a drink at 10pm and was told by Beauty the waitress "It's late". Is this really the way to run a hospitality business?

Breakfast is appalling. The food during the day is OK but takes ages and mistakes are frequent and not apologised nor compensated for.

Many things in the room don't work. Why do I have to tell staff something in the room doesnt work? Surely they should be the first to know. TV signal is good on 3 channels, dreadful on the rest. No gym.

Rooms are decent size. The suite is just a bigger room with a sofa at one end - not really worth the extra money.

It is tending towards the cheaper end of the scale for business, but clearly you are not paying for professionalism. I think I will not stay here again until they have made conscious efforts to improve. The market is ripe for a good large hotel in Tema and this one fails badly.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

this is one of the few hotels in Tema and is always full of business men, oil workers etc. Maybe for this reason the management do not bother about service. On monday night, we asked for gin and tonic, no tonic, campari soda, no soda, no ice and when we asked for a vodka double, one was brought out and another glass of gin.
The reason for shortage was advised that they had been full on sunday and Tema was short of these items.
The bar was full of expats and the friends who were with me, said the reception was like a flop house with various guests sitting on floors, checking their internet etc. The hotel has so much potential but they simply dont have to bother because it is always full

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tema, Ghana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I arived in the Marjorie Y due to the fact my choosen hotel had their swimming pool under construction and I wanted to enjoy my first 4 days off since a long time a bit. I was already informed that the service level was low. But I had no idea how bad it could be.
1) Breakfast can not be made more simple then they do it...and with out any fantasy. Ghana has such rich variety of vegetables and fruits it is a waste that the managemnet is promoting their wealth in such poor way.
2) I know when you order a drink in a hotel bar the prices are alway higher then in other places. But since I have been in very upp class places like East Hotel bar in Hamburg ( an MTV kind of club ) and I pay like 5 euro for a rum and coke. I do not know were the find courage to charge you like 15 USD for the same drink here.
3)WIFI Internet in the room is not present . You can only acces wifi near the pool. They have made a password wich is good enough for the CIA.( lesson No.1 KISS keep it short and simple)
4) They know exactly how to (over)price all the goods..but still have not find a way to make the shower work. For 90 USD per night....you have a 5 star room in whole China& Vietnam with 10 times better facilties. In my opinion 45 USD should be the top for this service concept.
5) I arived back from being on the road whole day. I jump in the pool at 9 in the evening to refresh....Immidiatly some pool boy comes to tell me that he want to close down...so if I can keep it short. Pool is open till 22:00 according to the desk...I just wonder what he wants.
6) Offcourse each country has is own rules and formalities....My girlfriend sit on my lap while we are in the pool ( nothing perverse in my opinion) I was asked to break up because small children are around.........HUH...never heard that before.
7)I arived the last day of my stay at the pool..let us say around 10:30. My girlfriend jumps in...and I want to follow. I got stopped because you need to take shower first. Ok..sound fair. Walk over to the shower.....doesn't work....How stu....can you be!!!
8) I come for breakfast at 09:30...all food is out. No refill of sugar, milk or coffee bread. 3 waiters are playing with their mobile. I asked when they will refill. It was like I asked to make water burn....sorry in my opinion these people are in the wrong buss. Then I asked to bake me some eggs.....didn't know that this could take 45 minutes in total.
9) The plane of my girlfriend goes at 21:55 so I asked if I could use my room till 16:30 to have a shower and get dressed before departure...Yes you can for 45 USD. In not a 1000 years I pay 45 USD extra for this service.
10) In most hotels were I come you get a bottle of water for brushing teeth or to make a coffee or tea on your room. Here you need to pay for each bottle like 3 Ghanee . In my opion a bit overdone.

I am back in family hotel Crismon not further then 3 minutes by taxi from them. The pool is still under construction offcourse. But the food is excelent and less then half the price. My room is 3 times bigger and the shower with hot water is running perfect. My fridge is filled up with drinks of my choice for half the price as well.So with the good attitude it is possible.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Abuja
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed in a suite and it was okay for my entourage. The room was well taken care of and the house keeper-Alice- is always punctual and diligent with her cleaning.The TV in my room has only a few local channels and nothing more. All my effort to be connected to CNN and Supersport was futile. The Air conditioner in my room was awful. The front desk was also beautiful and friendly but complaints are rarely attended to. The swimming pool is neat and well kept while I find the location of the restaurant breath taking. The quality of the food and service is very good. The service is very slow. All in all, I enjoyed my stay but there is a lot of room for improvement in service.

Room Tip: Corner Suites are better. Dont give your clothes to the laundry or else it will be destroyed.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, tX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I have stayed there twice in 2011. If you stay in the economy rooms there is barely room to turn around. Don't expect to take a shower because the water pressure is so low that it just dribbles. The women at the front desk are absolutely beautiful. They have to be because of all the complaints that are never resolved. Don't expect internet service as it is not existent. Food is good, beer is cold. Rooms are very expensive when it comes to Accra prices.

Room Tip: Take you a bucket of water for showers. Small rooms beds are like concrete.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011 via mobile

You can see that it yard to be good. But as time goes, the quality drops: when it s'raining outside it s'raining inside (rooms and corridors); always something broken (lights, tap, ...),the internet connection (wired or wireless) is very bad; you Will grow white hair before getting your food. People are friendly and smilling but the service remains very slow. TV channels were working neginning if january. Since then... It used to be my référence hôtel but it is not mantain and has become to bad. I am now looking for another one

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Hotel Marjorie 'Y'? Share your experiences!