“Great environment, nice hotel, European priced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Terres d'Amanar

You added Terres d'Amanar to your Saves list
Terres d'Amanar
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Marrakech direction ASNI / Moulay Brahim | After Tahanaout village, 2 km, left, groomed 3 km, Tahanaout 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Tahanaout B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great environment, nice hotel, European priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you like the outdoors you definately need to go to Terres d'Amanar. Just 25 km south of Marrakech, at the foot of the mountains and the Toubkal massif, the hotel is well located in nature, and spacious. Very large pool, spacious suites, friendly staff. Great outdoor activities! The only remark we have is they charged us € 60 for a bag of laundry. I always hate it to find out about an outrageous price when I am paying the final bill. You can buy three times the amount of clothes in Morocco for that price!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Likes

We decided to book Terres d'Amanar for a mountain retreat for 4 nights during our stay in Morocco (see Riad El Mansour, Marrakech and Paradis Plage, Agadir for my reviews). We were attracted to it for the outdoor activities, green policies and pledges to work with local Berber villagers. Plus it’s only a short car journey out of Marrakech.

It’s a fairly straight road to the main town of Tannahout, drive on another few kilometres and the dirt track road to Terres d'Amanar is clearly sign posted from the main road. The road climbs a couple of hundred feet above sea level and the scenery is stunning.

Terres d'Amanar is like driving into a huge ranch, the entrance is guarded by friendly security men. We checked in at reception and were shown to our Superior Lodge Room. Wow. The rooms were much larger than expected. A huge king size bed, ample storage and French windows leading out onto our private garden, there was a chameleon living in the flower bushes! Separate walk in shower and bathroom with nice touches such as freshly picked lavender and Moroccan toiletries. The living room was massive, a central Berber style day bed, large enough to fit 4 people, tea / coffee making facilities and French doors leading out into the private garden. The windows have traditional shutters covered in traditional Berber fabrics and the lighting is quite cool… I’ll leave that a surprise!

The lodge is set within beautifully maintained gardens and due to its elevated location, surrounded by stunning scenery, the Atlas Mountains back drop, Berber villages and lush green valleys.

The food was good, buffet breakfasts were served from the Berber tent that looks over a valley. Most scenic breakfast setting we’ve ever experienced. Omelettes, eggs, Berber pancakes, homemade breads, freshly squeezed orange juice to set you up for the day. Lunches were served from the café 5 minutes walk from the main lodges. Good selection of meat skewers, salads, breads, olives etc. Dinners were served from the Berber tent in the evening, buffet style and lots to choose from, something for everyone.

We could get cans of juice, bottles of water and ice cream during the day from the waiting staff or walk across to where the outdoor activities were held and purchase from the small café there. You don’t need any cash when you step inside Terres d'Amanar, we added everything to our room and it was very good value for money.

Our top highlight was definitely the outdoor facilities on offer. For an extra £21 each, we did Archery, Zip Lining, Acro Park (like an assault course through the tree tops) and Mountain Biking. I enjoyed walking around the perimeter of the ranch, lots of wild life and looking down into the valleys. I meet a couple of Moroccan farmers herding goats and a lovely Moroccan man singing his heart out on his donkey one day.

The Mountain Biking isn’t an easy ride or for the faint hearted. We set off at 8am in the morning, our guides drove us to the starting point 2600m up the side of a mountain. It’s a brilliant car journey, driving through typical Berber villages. There’s a lot of abject poverty within these areas, very humbling to see however the local people are very friendly. Lots of waving and ‘Bonjour’ en route! Be careful and take some a long sleeved top and trousers, perhaps some mountain biking gloves too. I made the mistake of going a wee bit too fast at the start and braking too hard too late….skint knees, hand and elbow! I’m an experienced biker but wee accidents do happen so best to take appropriate biking protection if that’s what you fancy doing on holiday.

After all of our adventurous escapades during the day, we would head down to the pool to relax out and chill out on the sun loungers.

The staff are friendly and we received good service. Any questions were answered and the staff always stopped by for a wee blether everyday. Terres d'Amanar is really peaceful away from the hustle and bustle of mad Marrakech, suitable for young adventurous couples and families. There’s a play park and trampoline for the youngers one (us adults couldn’t resist a jump on the trampoline on day!), farm animals and a couple of horses. All of which are looked after and facilities well maintained.

We drove the Tizi ‘n’ Test route over the Atlas Mountains to Agadir – a must if you have the time, the route is stunning!!!

Dislikes

Our only gripe was that there’s no air conditioning in the rooms. This made it quite uncomfortable to sleep at night. We ended up leaving the French doors open, only marginally cooler. We appreciate that this is an eco lodge and air con goes against these values. However, if there’s an eco friendly way to cool the rooms during the hot summer months I’m sure guests would appreciate it.

The hotel didn't respond to any of my email communications prior to arrival either, a tad annoying but not off putting.

It’s useful to have a French phrase book handy because English isn’t as widely spoken in the mountain areas compared to the Moroccan cities.

Room Tip: Splash out and get a Superior Lodge. Worth the money for the extra space.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
founex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I spent 2 days with my sons (8&12) in april in this wonderful eco-lodge. We rented a lodge (there is also an option to rent tents); it is very clean, very traditional design. There are plenty of activities to do: Trek, Biclycles, tree-walk, tyroliennes, etc... and the view over the valley down to Marrakech is wonderful. Watch out: since it is not exactly a restaurant where you can choose "A la carte", there is normally only one meal, take it or leave it...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kevinfounex
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

I just came back from a wonderfull week end of February 2012 at Terres d'Amanar with my wife and two kids (7&10 years old). We only have good things to say about this place and people working there. Beautifull place,natural reserve, comfortable accomodation, helpfull people, great local fresh foods and home made cooking, attractive ourdoor activities...
We stayed in a simple lodge wich was very comfortable and clean. My wife and I slept in the bedroom and my kids in the living room in a huge sofa/bed. Waking up looking at the great view on the mountains and the natural reserve is fantastic. Then, still looking at this view we were taking our breakfast outside. All the food there is really good and made with local fresh products.We have then the choice to relax by the swimming pool or practice outdoor activities (accro park, biking, trekking....) We all enjoyed very much trekking in the mountain with one of the local guide working at Terres d'Amanar and the accro park.
Special thanks to Mohamed alias "Diboun" for the great time my kids and us have shared.
All the staff there is really helpfull, joyfull and professional.
Thierry, the managing director, is really good advice. He is doing a great job in developping the site with a "green" spirit.
No polluting outdoor activities, solar plants are provinding hot water. Garbages and water are all recycled. Local staff comming from the 5 little villages around the place. Lodges are built in a traditional way, using local material (stones, land,straw....)

We LOVE it.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view on the mountain side
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Teddy M
Rabat, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We went to Terres dAmanar for a family outing with 4 kids. It was great fun for a very active weekend!
The two bedroom lodge we stayed in was very comfortable and clean. We had some issues with hot water and the safe but all were resolved promptly by the staff. It was very cold but the heating in the room was adequate and you could request extra heaters if needed.

The dinner buffet in the tent was really good, a wide selection of well cooked meals, including tagines and a few options for the kids. The breakfasts were slightly disappointing in variety but there was cold and hot options available and it was more than enough. The lunches down at the main restaurant were good with really fast service!

The activities were fantastic. We left our room after breakfast and did not return until 5:30 in the afternoon, there was a lot to do! The accro park was great and several staff were really good with the kids. Safety measures were good and the equipment is all in great shape. There is a good variety of activities for all ages and we could leave the kids in the play area under supervision of one of the staff whilst we did the zip lining.

The staff were all very helpful and polite!

I would highly recommend it for a few days and we will certainly be returning!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank WendyT67
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have many good things to say and only 1 bad. I heard of resort b/c of an article which mentioned that they have a great zip line activity. I wanted to do that b4 I left the country (was backpacking around for 1 month, partially w/a tour and also on my own). After some difficulty getting in touch w/them - there were several #'s - a hotel clerk in Marrakesh finally got the right number, I asked for a reservation in the least expensive room - a Berber tent. They also had high end bungalows. I was told that the tents weren't available b/c of the heat. I really wanted to go there, so I reserved a bungalow w/much trepidation - quite out of my price range, but figured okay, for one night, I'll splurge. There's a shuttle van for 50 dirhams to get there from the city and takes about 45 minutes. Easy to do once you find the supermarket pick up site. The driver for a bit extra even dropped me back at my hotel on my return. The resort is absolutely beautiful! The bungalow exceeded my expectations, beautiful living room - tho I didn't use it. I had a little flower garden w/a seating area outside my bedroom and the living room w/glass doors leading outside. The shower was a HUGE walk in and a great sink. The toilet was in a separate room. The bed was large and so comfortable and my window opened up overlooking the pool! The zipline was such fun! I tried rappelling and was so scared, but my guide was sooooo nice and took take of me. There's lots of fun activities for kids and definitely would recommend for families. I wound up taking pictures of a French couple zip lining w/my camera and the woman stayed to take pics of me doing it too. They then invited me to dine w/them for dinner and brekkie since I was on my own. Meals were absolutely filling, beautiful to look at and totally delicious. I really liked the desserts too.

What I didn't like was that I did ask to reserve the Berber tents, told no can do. However, when I got there, there were several French families staying in them. I inquired and was told that they just showed up on Tues (I was there Wed but reserved on the Saturday b4). Soooo? I doesn't make sense. Many of the bungalows weren't full anyway. I feel that it was bait and switch. Now, don't get me wrong, the room was beautiful and it was really nice to treat myself, but it was quite pricey for me. If you do stay in the tents, it's quite a bit away from the pool and the main area and the dining area too. You'll need a torch to find your way back. It's also shared shower/toilet. Regardless, it's a beautiful place and lots of fun. The pool is so refreshing and clean!

Room Tip: Stick to what type of room you want and don't give in.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Halli M
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

This place is located up on a small mountain and is surrounded by natural beauty. The activities make the difference. There are obstacle courses and zip lnes that are so much fun and a little scary. The food was great, the service was excellent. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Palash D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahanaout
Kasbah Angour Atlas Mountains Hotel
Domaine de la Roseraie
#2 of 2 in Ouirgane
4.5 of 5 stars 271 reviews
Le Flouka Auberge et Restaurant du Lac
Le Flouka Auberge et Restaurant ...
#1 of 3 in Lalla Takerkoust
4.5 of 5 stars 116 reviews
Kasbah Du Toubkal
Kasbah Du Toubkal
#1 of 5 in Imlil
4.5 of 5 stars 511 reviews

Been to Terres d'Amanar? Share your experiences!