“Quaint, comfortable, and delicious” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge du Pot d'Etain

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in L'Isle-sur-Serein
Auberge du Pot d'Etain
You added Auberge du Pot d'Etain to your Saves list
L'Isle-sur-Serein, France   |
Boston, MA
“Quaint, comfortable, and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here based on a friend's recommendation and were not disappointed. L'Auberge du Pot d'Etain is in a lovely little village, our room was modern, clean and comfortable, and dinner in the restaurant was absolutely terrific. Seriously, the worst thing I could say about our stay is that the shampoo in the bathroom isn't really what you'd expect from such a nice place. Others have written that the owners/ staff were rude; I didn't think so at all. I think they just give people their space and are more professional rather than personal. Our dinner there was one of the best during our week-long trip to France; the veloutee with escargots was particularly memorable. It was a great "home base" for a few days of traveling to see different towns in the Burgundy countryside and I'd certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a shower, such as #5
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Howth, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I never write bad reviews so let me start by the only plus point of this place. Amazing wine list.
But take my advice and stay somewhere else!
We both ate in the restaurant and stayed in the b&b.
My most shocking experience of bad service... from arrival until departure we met 3 members of the owner family. not one of them gave us a smile or returned mines. The girl who was serving us never returned my "merci"s with an "avec plaisir". Nor did the owner maitre d' who actually walked away while my boyfriend was talking to him. My boyfriend got refilled twice, while I was sitting there with an empty glass. But that's only nuance as this is not a fine dining place. They made me feel that they are doing us a favour by letting us dine and sleep there whereas we were the paying customers.... ah well.
The "decor" is extremely old fashioned and without any style, but again if it was a friendly place I wouldn't even care...
The rooms are really, really cold. considering that we stayed the end of May, I assume it's all year round.
The rooms (at least the one we stayed in) desperately need some renovation.
I didn't sleep much, because of the cold temperature, however the rooms are relatively quiet.
My opinion is if you visit for the wine list look for somewhere else to stay, but if you are not into wine, find somewhere with better food and service for your money.

• Stayed May 2013
lilyfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Relaxed informal but friendly efficient dealings. Room perfectly good and value at 65 euros. Evening meal, again at 55 euros set meal good value. Escalope mousse as amuse bouche, promising. Unfortunately next two courses disappointing, well cooked but lacking both taste and coherent combination -hommard with strange ? soft meat slices, then cod with potatoe puree. Dessert, strawberry concoction with tasty tweel, lovely. Truely astonishing wine list, 50 pages with 50 wines per page mostly prominent burgundy/rhone producers. Beautiful rustic countryside around and not far from Chablis.
Would I go again -yes, hopefully food will then match other excellent characteristics.

Room Tip: all room probaly quiet as inn off the beaten track and appear to be behind internal courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This delightful, family run auberge is only a short distance from the motorway, but is a real oasis after a long day's drive. The charming rooms, flower filled courtyard and accomodating staff are very welcoming and the dining experience is memorable. The clean, pleasant rooms are furnished with antiques and have modern, up to the minute baths. The wine selection is daunting, especially if you aren't familiar with wines of the region, but recommendations are cheerfully given and the choices are not necessarily from the high end of the list. Excellent food is provided by the chef de cuisine, the son of the hotel owners, and is served in an intimate and tasteful dining room where breakfast is also served. Our overnight stay couldn't have been more pleasurable and we're looking forward to a return visit next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Its pretty difficult to book this place unless you speak French, but arriving after a long drive up from the south coast, we were extremely glad we perservered to book this little hotel. Its situated in a pretty village not far off the A6 and run by a family, obviously with high standards of professionalism and perfectionism. Our room 1 was enormous with a little sitting room, spa bath (only hand held shower) and little balcony overlooking the inner flower filled courtyard set for lunch, was delightful and spotlessly clean. It represented fantastic value for money as it would be sold a junior suite/suite in other hotels.
Our 4 course dinner from the Euro35 menu, was excellent and of an extremely high standard, and was one of the best of our 2 week trip. The restaurant is beautifully presented and the service was friendly but professional. As others have said its a phenomenal wine list but I'm sure there's something in it for everyone, our choice was very good. Breakfast was typically French as I think they are their main clients. We had only time for a little walk around the village but will definitely return if we are in the area again one day.

Room Tip: Room 1 for something a little more special or a longer stay, as its larger and has a balcony, still...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chartres, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I can only comment on the restaurant and not on the hotel. This is a very typical French place (which in my mouth is a definite compliment) with good solid regional food, friendly service but above all the most amazing (Burgundy) wine list you can think of. A strong point is that when asked for recommendation, the staff goes for the more reasonable priced items: bravo!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This family run hotel is excelllent value for money. Situated in a pretty village just off the A6 motorway, a great stopover. Good food and remakable selection of Burgundy wines.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Auberge du Pot d'Etain? Share your experiences!