“An escape from reality - Great Location and Views!!! - Difficult to Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Domaine Saint Aubin

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Trinite
Le Domaine Saint Aubin
You added Le Domaine Saint Aubin to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Petite Riviere Salee, La Trinite 97220, Martinique   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in La Trinite
Arlington, Virginia
“An escape from reality - Great Location and Views!!! - Difficult to Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Full disclosure – We chose St. Aubin because it was rated 1st on Tripadvisor.

After arriving in Martinique and picking up our rental car, we drove across the island to what we though was the general area of where the hotel was located.

Location:
The hotel was somewhat difficult to find. The website directions are not very useful in English and Google maps actually has another hotel listed as Le Domaine Saint Aubin incorrectly - so beware!. The hotel is almost half way between the towns of Saint Marie and La Trinite. I am attaching images of the hotel from Google Earth, though they seem dated.

I would give Le Domaine Saint Aubin 5 stars simply for its location alone. It is centrally located on the island and no place north or south is more than 1 to 2 hours drive away. Compare this to staying on one of the tips of the island having to drive 2 to 3 hours to the other side and then driving that again at the end of the day. I think not.

Accomodation:
We had one of the single rooms on the upper level of the property. Great views, comfortable bed and we even had a deck that we could sit out on in the morning and evening. There is even a mini fridge. We really appreciated the AC unit in the room on the warmer evenings. Our only complaint is that the AC unit would make crackling noises every now and then and start smelling like burning cables or plastic and the unit would stop working. I am not sure what was going on. We would stop using it at that point.

Food:
We tried to eat out a couple times at various places, and were not dissapointed. On two occasions we had breakfast and dinner at Le Domaine Saint Aubin. The owners wife is the chef and an AMAZING one at that! Dinner is served with appertifes, appatizers, main course and desert. The price was on the high side (around $40+ per person) but worth trying at least once. Breakfast was alright, though not to my liking. French pastries, plain almost sour yogurt and other similar items. My girlfriend loved them however. I chose to instead to purchase some gronola, milk and fruit from a grocery store instead.

Views:
Wow!!! Amazing views.

I would highly recommend this place. Great location, very friendly staff that went out of their way to help us locate some lost baggage and I forgot to mention a swimming pool as well :)

Room Tip: Choose one of the individual condo's or villa's on the hill over the hotel itself. Make sur...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Philippine, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The location is very nice but all the extra’s are expensive. We expected a fridge in the room so we brought our own drinks and some food for the evenings. Unfortunately there was no fridge, in fact, the room is very empty apart from the bed, one chair and some dust. It was not a problem to put our stuff in the main kitchen fridge. We saved a lot of money since the drinks on the veranda are over € 5,-. As many times said, the French breakfast is expensive. Do not go to St. Marie for a restaurant. There are none.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

True, the location is wonderful and the view fantastic but the hotel was such a huge disappointment. At first sight the whole complex looks outstanding but when you come closer to the buildings you will notice that the maintenance is done in a unprofessional way. A lot of areas look untidy and messy and furniture and furnishings threadbare.

There were hardly guests when I arrived in the hotel and no staff, mind you I was there at high season. It had to phone the owner at the reception desk to announce that I arrived. The main building looks lovely but inside untidy. Yes, there might be antique furniture in the main building but the hotel owners certainly did not maintain their furniture well.

I had a room in one of the lodges. The rooms are big and have a big terrace with wonderful sea view but my room was (again) untidy and dusty. The carpet and the cussions in the chairs were filthy. Almost all furnishings and walls were mouldy. There was a colony ants on the floor and there was a big white stain (!) on my blanket on my bed. On my sheet in my bed I found blood stains and sweat spots. The furniture in my room was threadbare.

I took the hotel owner (and chef de cuisine) to my room and confronted him with all the facts. In the beginning he said that it was just normal in the Caribean (no it isn't!) but when he took a look in the bed corner he did not say a word any more. The price/quality level of this hotel is poor and this was the first time in my life that I left a hotel without staying one single night. The owner was professional enough to return me the money for the three nights I booked. I left the hotel within 45 minutes after my arrival.

This is the first time that I am writing a real bad review on Tripadvisor and the first time that I am uploading pictures to support my review.

The area off Trinité is lovely and I can certainly recommend people to stay here for a while. Unfortunately I cannot recommend Le Domaine. They still have a lot of work to do there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel delivers a five star location at a three star price point and that may be the source of some of the disappointment found in the reviews here. With such a gorgeous setting, it feels like everything should be amazing, but at this price for a room it just can’t be. Overall the property feels like the house of an aristocratic family with more history than money. The public areas have tons of historic atmosphere. The grounds are quite nice, and there is a pool. It felt a little empty when we were there. We had an enormous room in the main house with absolutely gorgeous views out over the Atlantic, access to a grand porch with seating just outside the room and a huge bathroom by hotel standards. I could have used one more day just to hang out and read either on the porch or by the pool.

The beds were quite comfortable and the room had air conditioning, but very little other furniture, like comfy chairs. Towels and soap/shampoo etc were of very average quality. The curtains were definitely shabby chic and a bit worn. Breakfast, while adequate, was not included in the 159 euro price of the room, and at other places in Martinique at this same price point, breakfast is included. It is served on the downstairs porch with the same wonderful views and atmosphere. But for 2 people, it cost an additional 28 euro. We also tried the prix fixe dinner one night. It was delicious, but for 40 euros per person it was expensive and you don’t get to pick your meal. Fine for one night, but we definitely wanted to try something else the next night. It’s about 20 minutes to Tartane where there were several restaurant options.

The hotel is well-situated for exploring the Presque Isle de la Caravelle as well as the Atlantic Coast. It was quite easy to arrange a booking via email and a telephone call. We were warmly greeted by one of the owners (Mme Rosemain) and well-treated by M. Rosemain. I thought they were very helpful, although I should add that I can manage quite well in French so can’t judge their English. I would stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a lovely property, so long as you love the quirks of an old house, and the quirks of a mildly indifferent host. The main "House" is full of historical curiosities, be they furnishings or decorations. My wife, myself, and our 6 year old daughter were in one of the small apartment units set into the hillside of the natural amphitheatre behind the hotel. Our suite was spacious and somewhat spartan, but has a decently equipped kitchen. We had a brilliant view of the Atlantic coast from our generous balcony. We ate most breakfasts and suppers at the suite, and spent the day exploring what seemed like every corner of this very civilized island from our location on the "Nord Atlantique" coast. This is France, after all, so at the local Carrefoour supermarket, you can find all kinds of gourmet French foods and wines at very decent prices. the Saint-Aubin is not a typical hotel, but more like an oversized B&B. Which means whatever your question or requirement, you'll probably find yourself dealing with the owner on it (and he may or may not be sympathetic to your request). We didn't see any other staff member (not even the owner's wife). We did, however, see an a/c repair person, and a lawn cutting crew one day. Breakfast and supper are prix-fixe affairs, and there is no flexibility to accommodate anything other than the "menu gastronomique". Nonetheless, we were happy with our stay, overall, but found the €80 to "clean" the room upon our departure to be excessive (we had neither the time nor materials to leave it as we had found it). So, if you are looking to be pampered and waited upon, do not stay here. If you are a little more flexible, and are prepared to look after yourself, then this is a lovely place to set up a base camp to explore the island (in a rented car) for a week or two.

Room Tip: Go for an upper-level suite in the amphitheatre buildings. The view is fabulous.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

It was our 3. visit of Martinique, but first of this hotel. We spent in this charming hotel 12 days in January 2013. We had studio in lodge with wonderful great terasse and the wonderful sea view.The accommodation was perfect and very clean. Hotel was beautiful and guit. It was for us one of the best vacation. Mr. Rosemain and his wife were really amazing and always willing to help us in the case of our needs. We can recommended this hotel to all who want to spend their vacation in a charming quiet hotel with excelent owner. It was really lovely place. We would love to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

we had a Cottage upstars with a beautiful terasse and the most beautiful sea view. The beds are good and it is very quiet except for the frog concert, the wind and the breaking waves of the sea. We had a very good night sleep. The room was very large, the bathroom and shower worked fine and looked quite new.
The location of the house is far away from everything, so you have to have a car. If you like that, it is your place to stay because from there you can explore the Island very well. There are no Restaurants near, you have to drive at least 15 Min to the next Restaurant. It night /with rain this can be a challenge because the streets (for example to Tartane) have no lights and are narrow. We preferred to be in the Hotel before dark. You can eat in the Restaurant of the Hotel but have to tell in the morning if you like to eat dinner. We had dinner once which was nice but fairly high priced with 40 Euro p.P. plus Drinks. the owner is exceptionally nice, speaks englisch and gave us a lot of useful tipps and was very helpful.
The house is beautiful but has seen better times, it has a bit of shabby charme and Needs paint and cleaning here and there. I am sorry to say that I thought that the cleaning of the room could be better, I am not sure if the maid cleaned the floor at all in the one week we were there. I tried not to look so much in the corners.. I guess you can't have it all in the carribbeans. All in all I would recommend the hotel as we spend a very Relaxing week there. But it is not a luxury Resort. Breakfast is very boring, the same every morning: Baguette, Croissant, fruit salat, Marmelade, coffee or tea. Everry Morning exactly the same.

Room Tip: take an upstairs Cottage with Terrasse
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Domaine Saint Aubin? Share your experiences!