“Small, homely restaurant with great textures in the food.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Small, homely restaurant with great textures in the food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We had the basic menu at 32 euros which was fabulous value - you can't say the same about the wine - which is high quality but the combination of a governent imposed multiplier and the relative strength of the euro made it exhorbitant (not just in this restaurant)
The food was delicious with an extraordinary range of textures. The cheese course and the pudding both particularly memorable: the cheese served hot in a filo pastry case with raisins soaked in marc de champagne and on a salad of leaves and walnuts, then the pud which was a parfait - so semifreddo, treated like a creme brulee so with a sugar crust, with a brandy snap biscuit and green chartreuse. Nectar!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Brussels
“A suprising experience -”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

June 2009 - Just 5 minutes from Epernay is the small town of Ay. While staying at the Castel Jeanson, we walked down the narrow streets to this little restaurant that doesn't look like much from the outside.
The interior is quiet, classic elegance. We were greeted by a very attentive hostess and ordered a fixed menu and 2 (excellent) glasses of champagne. The chef prepares seasonal products with delicacy and passion. He will even make adjustments to your dish if request. He even reconciled me with (my husband's) crème brulé de foie gras. I had tasted this appetizer several times in restaurants but never quite appreciate it fully. But their version was just exquisite! I had chosen a tasty asparagus and crayfish appetizer followed by a delicate white fish (sorry can't remember which type). My husband and I both ate very well and found it quite refined.
Their suggestion for wine was excellent and I loved the little story that went along with it. The hostess explained how they travel to a little village in Alsace where they buy their wine from an old cellar run by a couple of elderly sisters. It was just charming.
My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by such fine cuisine. On our next weekend to the Champagne region, we will definitely eat dinner there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere