“A good alternative for Filipino food cravings.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kanin Club

Kanin Club
1. Paseo de Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa, Laguna. 2, Santa Rosa, Luzon 4026, Philippines
+63 49 544 0332
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Filipino
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Manila, Philippines
“A good alternative for Filipino food cravings.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I came here for lunch with a Foreign guest who wants to try Adobo. We ordered chicken-pork adobo, chop suey, camaron rebosado, sinigang rice. Everything was good but a bit salty, they should adjust it mildly and let Customers add salt if they'd like. The sinigang rice was a clever concept but taste overpowers other dishes, it does not compliment the meal.
I just did not like flies hovering our food, they should do something about it, like air curtain on the doors. Overall, since we came for the Adobo and my guest liked it, it was good enough for me. But be prepared to fork out $10/pax, not cheap for an average meal.
It's one club I may not opt to join. :)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Manila, Philippines
“Kanin Club: Cardiac Delights and Poor Cleanliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Kanin Club (Sta Rosa) is best left for foodies who don't have health issues or smell issues.

First, if you love deep fried dishes, thick saucy entrees, then this is the restaurant for you.
From it's famous Crispy Dinuguan (which uses chicharon instead of of meat), deep fried tilapia to the super oily seafood karekare with overcooked mussles and shrimp, the only healthy option we saw was the Sinigang Salmon Belly. This, by the way, was yummy.

Anyway, the quality of it's bestselling noodle dish (Pansit Canton) is deplorable. The noodles were overcooked and had the texture and taste of a very commercial brand of instant noodles.The flavor and toppings are also far from the Ongpin-quality its menu boasts of. In Kanin Club, to get real value for money, just be careful of choosing what to order.

Second, the cleanliness of this particular branch really needs improvement. Inside the restaurant, I was amazed to see a couple of flies making a tour of the tables, sometimes landing on guests' foreheads or the server's faces. Despite calling their attention to the problem, the restaurant staff didn't bother to do anything and continued to serve tables.

The common hand-washing sink area noticeably smelt of rotting wet wood and garbage. I traced this unpleasant odor to the table that held the sink; this was made of wood and held an open garbage pail beneath it. Unfortunately, this area was right next to the washrooms so everyone who had to go, surely got a whiff of this very unpleasant odor.

I wouldn't recommend this branch of Kanin Club to my friends or guests.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Good Filipino Food with a slight twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The twist they give ordinary filipino food gets you excited and there is a tendency to try all especially for the Filipino tourist who can't go there every time. With sinigang na sinangag, crispy dinuguan, aligue rice, and others; we were all looking forward to it.
Well, it was good but I felt a little underwhelmed because it really was just like they super deep fried lots of stuff like the pork in the dinuguan then put the sauce on top. It wasn't something mind blowing like what Heston Blumenthal would do so I guess I was expecting too much. My friends (also from Sydney) enjoyed it too much...Cardiac Delight...as we joked around.
Look, it was good to have tried it. I'll surely go back if I'm in Manila again but not something I'd really rave about.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lucena City, Philippines
“Excited! =)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Because we love to EAT..^_^
They serve filipino dishes with a one of a kind twist that I've not seen in any restaurant. Their best seller is the Crispy Dinuguan and the Kanin's Club Turon. They serve different kinds of rice (Kanin in Tagalog word) and the best part is they serve healthy brown rice! You can also opt to order All-You-Kanin which is an eat-all-you-can white rice for only P40 per person.

Visited October 2012
Quezon City, Philippines
“Kanin Club serves Microwaved Food - TERRIBLE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I was a big fan of Kanin Club (Technohub) where I make sure I go to everytime I'm on vacation here in the Philippines. Love their food until my last visit there yesterday I will NEVER EVER GO BACK there anymore. Their food was MICROWAVED and their staff basically admitted to it when I complained about my food being cold! I was there for lunch and they served me cold food. You just know when the food was just re-heated. They serve it to you half-warm & it's cold in not even 5 minutes! I noticed that when I ordered the Seafood Kare-Kare where one can't help but see how the mussels shrunk into its shell all dried up!
For Dessert we ordered Turon & Turon KC and was served cold again. Thats when it really got me so i called the server. She took the plate of Turon & said she's just gonna re-heat it since she said they cook their food in batches! Which means, its not freshly cooked! I asked how she's gonna re-heat it -- she told me straight to my face -- "ma'am MICROWAVE"! I SAID i'm sorry but I don't eat microwaved food. She still took it & gave it to one of the guys from the counter window to the kitchen. I was observing what they are going to do. They whispered to each other & saw 3-4 staff looked at me. One of the servers probably didn't notice that I was staring at them said -- "iinit mo nalang!". I then decided to cancel the order.
Its a SAD SAD STORY! When customers pay to go to a decent restaurant hoping to get freshly cooked food for their money they will be served nothing but re-heated microwaved food! THAT'S KANIN CLUB for us! I'm a balikbayan & I will NEVER EVER go back nor recommend any of our Balikbayans to dine there. There's plenty of Authentic Filipino Restaurants out there -- try Fely J's at Greenbelt 5 and you'll get your money's worth.

• Visited June 2012