“Extraordinary: Elegant - Gracious - Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Coopershill House
Coopershill, Riverstown, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Riverstown B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Extraordinary: Elegant - Gracious - Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Along with our cousins, my wife and I stayed at Coopershill for two nights. Upon arrival, the warm welcome from Simon O'Hara made us feel as if we had come home to our own family country house. This was the most-enjoyable accomodation of our 8 day visit to Ireland. Simon and his team attended to every detail and took the time to share some personal history of the home and the area. The meals were spectacular and the cocktails in front of the fire combined with the after-dinner cordial in the drawing room ended each day wtih a sense of total relaxation. Although other inns and "castles" were more lavish on our trip, we got a true country-house experience that only comes with gracious hospitality.

Upon returning home we were amused to read the other reviews on Coopershill. We would certainly NOT recommend this to twenty-somethings looking for a hot time ... but a great place for walks, seaweed baths, and exploring ancient architectural sites.

In every respect, this is a first-class country house experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Stayed 3 nights at Coopershill and enjoyed every minute. Highlights for us were the fantastic evening meals (the fish was first class); prepared picnics for our day trip adventures and taking Alice the resident spaniel for her pre-dinner walks. The whole stay felt as if you were a house guest at a country estate, and Simon O'Hara is a wonderful host.

Other guests were a varied mix from young couples to retired Amercians and pre / post dinner conversation was very entertaining.

A superb break in lovely countryside - the beaches of Sligo are amazing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have stayed in "country houses" before, but there was something in the air around this one! I stayed for one night, yet, as I said to Simon the host, when I left, I felt as relaxed as if I had been away for a week. It's that sort of place. You can see how beautiful it is from the other reviews, but my favourite bit was the fact that you enter a world of tranquility, maybe because there's no radio or tv, maybe because you sit and relax in the drawing room with afternoon tea, reading, or because dinner is served in no great hurry, giving you time to really enjoy the beautifully cooked food, and maybe because my four poster bed in the Blue Room was possibly the most comfortable I have ever slept in (honestly). Simon is a warm and welcoming host, as is Alice the dog, who seemed genuinely excited to greet us when we knocked at the giant front door, and the chef, whose name escapes me now, when she heard me saying that I didn't want blue cheese sauce with my dinner, said no problem, how does red wine sauce instead sound - fantastic service. A truly memorable experience - yes it was expensive but if I could I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Coopershill is like stepping back in time, this is a magnificent Georgian House with all the comforts of a modern age.
The huge front door was opened by Simon and we had a warm welcome to his home. Our room was on the top floor which had been an area for the children of the family. The room was large and beautifully furnished, so was the bathroom with a great shower. There was no TV or radio which was a bonus!
Breakfast was served in the large dining room surrounded by family portraits and silver, there was plenty of variety to choose from. Simon showed us around the grounds with the peacocks, guinea fowl and their deer park. The family pet, Alice was great company as we wandered through the woodland walks.
We had a lovely time there and would return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

The many ecstatic reviews are correct: if you're seeking to recpature life as it must have been in an Irish country house party any time between the late 18th and the early 20th century, this is your place. It's not so much a hotel in the traditional sense as a rather grand Georgian mansion which welcomes guests. Afternoon tea or drinks in front of the log fire in the drawing room, and dinner in the dining room, are special experiences. The kitchen uses largely home-grown ingredients, cooked in traditional country house style; hearty rather than gourmet eating.And the guest bedrooms, traditionally furnished and looking out over the park, are a haven of tranquility. Two small quibbles only: such a special experience comes at a price, and the bedrooms can feel somewhat chilly until the guest-operated electric heating kicks in.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I booked it without knowledge or recommendation. I had other plans in the Sligo region, and chose the opportunity to seek a quiet, special place to relax and unwind a few days beforehand. Their website looked promising… small luxury hotel, deep in the countryside, that seemed keen to provide good food.

Thrilled with my decision, I then found myself trying to minimise my expectations! – I was far too in need of a break; I didn’t see another opportunity for one for a few months hence… so the pressure for this to hit the spot was high.

Coopershill provided a warm welcome, with charming and immaculate accommodation, and wonderful countryside surroundings. As a solo guest, I was accommodated in every respect. For example, I choose not to frequent the dining room in the evening, favouring instead something more simple in my room, or elsewhere less formally. I imagine this was not the norm, nor the light lunch I requested, but the manner in which I was accommodated suggested to me that my comfort was foremost , and delighted in.

But it would be unfair not to comment here too on parts of the dinner menus I did avail of: the starters, the homemade pate and soup had just the right edge to being a first class offering, while still being true to the simplicity of good fresh ingredients. Breakfast included proud offering of much of their own, or local, produce and that pride alone was a pleasure to behold when being served.

Whether it is restaurant or hotel, ultimately my enjoyment or appreciation of such a stay for me rests as much with the attitude of the host and service, as their location and offering. Simon and Coopershill have this in spades. Gracious is the word, and in every respect.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

We had the fortunate experience to find ourselves in this beautiful, original 1774 Georgian mansion last weekend. The House was built by Simon O'Hara's ancestors and he now runs and lives in this property, alongside a working farm, a market garden and a beautiful bevy of deer, soon to be venison!
There are stunning bedrooms, all ensuite bar one, many with original Edwardian baths and showers, and one can see some 4-poster beds in many. TV's are not the order of the day and this adds to the feeling of total relaxation and tranquility. The public rooms show family photographs and portraits from current and past generations, along with wonderful antiques.
The food is prepard by the Chef Christina, who specialises in traditional Irish fresh food, and at breakfast you can sample home made bread, jams and yoghurt. Dinner was at a communal table, you may dine privately if you wish, and was served on Wedgewood and with engraved O'Hara family silver.
Many of the staff have been working here for decades, for Simon's Mother in the past and this only makes you feel more welcome and at home, as nothing is an imposition.
We would thoroughly recommend, by the way, the ages of the guests ranged from mid twenties to early fifties.
Go and enjoy for yourself as Simon has some special offers at present. Alice the dog is also a character and derves spoiling with the odd titbit when Simon's back is turned.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Coopershill House? Share your experiences!