“HELL RESORT” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hill Island Lodge

You added Hill Island Lodge to your Saves list
Hill Island Lodge
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   37 Skydeck Road, | Highway 137, Leeds & The 1000 Islands, Lansdowne, Ontario K0E 1L0, Canada   |
Mississauga, Canada
“HELL RESORT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Keep in mind, I have been a camper for 10+ yrs. I have been across Ontario as far east as PEI and have never experienced what I did this past weekend.
Driving up, it was already a disappointment, place looked old and had a unkept appeal.
Enter and the musty scent is enough to make one cough. The room smelled the same, we got air freshner asap. There are no coffee makers in the room, the washrooms are outdated, toilet problems. Food, well food was a disgusting disaster. The cafeteria style room, still with all the cafeteria serving equipment, which weren't being used, was a joke. We were asked to choose dinner from a piece of paper given at arrival. It listed 4 main courses and 5 desserts, which were the same every day.
We were asked to hand it in one hr. before dinner, I'm guessing to give them enough time to defrost the meals and warm them. Coffee and tea, most inexpensive beverages, weren't free.
Towels which were white at one point were now, beige and white with rust stains. The one night we ate at the so called restaurant, they had allowed a couple to being their small dog with them, sitting on the chair with it's head on the table. I brought it to the waitresses' attention, who relayed the info to the owner. He said nothing nor did he come over to speak with us. Waitress was also playing with the dog and kissing it. The deal breaker was when I woke up bitten by bed bugs and a cockroach appeared, we checked out asap. We were asked to pay for the dinner for the night that we weren't going to stay for.........LOL
We and the other guests, renamed the resort to HELL RESORT
Don't stay here if you want to sleep and eat!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Took my wife away for 3 nights 4days on our 8th Anniversary , when we got there we could smell the meldew and mothballs.We got to our room and it was really bad balcony door wouldn't lock, our white towels had stains on them. The pictures on line are not even close to what you see when you get there. We left right away and they charged us for one night. The place is terriable, and out in the middle of nowhere. This is not what Canadian Resorts are like , they are just giving you false info on this one. HINT PLEASE STAY AWAY!

if looking for a great place close by go to Rockport

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The Lodge is within walking distance of the St. Lawrence Lake. That is important.The rounds were immaculate. The lodge is so has a lot of character but also has many modern conveniences. I had no problem with that though and knew it ahead of time. The staff was friendly and helpful.Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade at no extra cost to a room with 2 full beds instead of only one in our original reservation. My daughter was most grateful. The room and bath were clean and neat and well stocked with towels and toiletries. Furnishings were a little worn but not antiques. We stayed 2 nights. Views and scenery were fabulous. Complimentary coffee and teas are offered each morning in the Lobby and Restaurant. The great room had a large fireplace with seating around it and also additional furnishings for reading or playing games. There are pianos that can be played by those staying at the Lodge. A business room with computer was also available. Pictures around on the walls told of the 1000 islands history.
We ate in the restaurant three times. The service was ok but the food was very tasty.
Be aware that if you come here the boat cruise is the main attraction."Town" is about a 10 minute drive and only has a small shopping center with a family restaurant, liquor store, souvenir shops and a small convenience grocery.
The Lake itself is very beautiful, offers canoe rentals and has walking trails around the Lake. I definitely would recommend the Lodge and area.

• Stayed July 2013
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

family of 5 stayed at one of the rooms over this past weekend in and recommend this option for those looking for a good place to stay while participating in the otudoor activities in the area. We went to the Skydeck Tower (3 minutes away), Alexandria Bay (10 minutes away) and visited Gananoque (15 minutes away). The rates are reasonable when compared to others in the area, the service is good, and overall about what should be expected for a 3 star stay. At the registration desk they have a someone who can answer questions about and assist with the activities in the area, and you can purchase tickets for the different attractions to avoid line ups.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

People who call this a resort have clearly not been to one. It is sad to know that guests from around the world may be coming to this "resort" and getting a feel what Canada is like. Resort owners- shame on you for misrepresentation of your facility. The owners have no idea how to make this place attractive to its guest, cleaning it once in a while and changing the decor would be a good start. Don't be fooled that you are getting a deal either, there are plenty of beautiful places to stay and to eat in the area and you will pay less. And, other than the Skydeck there is nothing to do there; don't expect to be entertained.
Now to my experience....
After just seeing the entrance driveway to the "resort" I was skeptical. A couple of cars in the parking lot - not a good sign. Chipped & uneven pavement, fallen down curbs, run-down abandoned building next door etc. Walking into the building was an experience on its own. Dark, smelly (musty mixed with like something died behind the desk) lounge with two casually dressed young people behind the counter busy talking on the phone and taking people's money instead of acknowledging our existence. View onto an empty swimming pool, busy highway leading to the US. The place was dark and it may be on purpose not to show off the dirt and the poor condition this "resort" was in. We had a reservation booked online and upon getting the young lady's attention we were given a key to the room. By then, my husband's eyes were the size of the golf balls so I asked to see the room first. Suddenly, the keys were switched and we were being escorted to a different room, likely the best room the hotel :). Not so, as dark and smelly as the rest of the place, balcony full of plastic glasses half filled with cigarette butts and scrappy looking furniture. The washroom smelled even worse. At this point I refused to stay there, paying for 2 nights of misery. I asked for my deposit back but was told that that was non-refundable. Just to get out of there, I was willing to loose my deposit and run, run as far as I could. If you decide not to listen to me or others who share the same opinion of this place, come see for yourself, loose your deposit and turnaround, but before you leave go and visit the Skydeck; it is worth $ 11 per person; the view is spectacular! We drove back to Gananoque and stayed the night there; it was fantastic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sean A, General Manager at Hill Island Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
The deposit is $25 including taxes. This is to make aware to visiting customers.
The Lodge is not advertised anymore as a resort as of the beginning of this year. You may have seen an old flyer.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests.
Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology for any misunderstandings that may have occurred when you discussed your concerns with my staff during your stay. If the $25 deposit was disappointing to you you could have called the hotel directly and asked to speak to me.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our
guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're
doing wrong and how we can improve.

In this regard, I have discussed the matters you raised with my staff, and I was pleased to hear that a satisfactory resolution had been reached during your stay. Please rest assured that I have reviewed our hotel operations to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future.

If you need further assistance regarding this matter, do not hesitate to contact me directly. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Once again, please accept my sincere apology. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Liberty Township, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is an older establishment, but none the less comfortable, clean, and serene. Our room was quite cozy, bed was very comfortable, & we slept very well. If you are looking for 5 star luxury this is not the place for you, but if you want a comfy home away from home with great service, food, & wonderful staff then this is the place for you. The staff is warm, friendly, & accommodating. We purchased the 2 night, 3 day package deal with dinners, breakfasts, tickets for the St. Lawrence River cruise with stop at Boldt Castle, & tickets for the 1000 Islands Skydeck Tower with it's panoramic view. We were able to walk to the Skydeck, and there is also a nice gift shop there too. Our food was delicious. The chef, Roberto certainly knows his way around a kitchen. The Tandoori chicken was excellent. He needs to bottle that sauce. I would be his 1st customer. My husband had the ham one night, very tasty. Tiramisu, carrot cake, & butterscotch ice cream for dessert....oh YUM! For breakfast we chose the eggs Benedict.The eggs were perfection. All I can say is amazing! So good! The staff, John, Fez, & Julie made our stay very enjoyable. I sure hope that the owner knows, & appreciates what he has in these people. Julie is a sweet woman who could not do enough for us. John made sure we had all we needed at our meals. Fez was always smiling, & ready to answer all our questions about the area. The charming town of Gananoque is just 15 minutes down the road, & Fez gave us perfect directions to get there. This is where we boarded the boat for our river cruise. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean A, General Manager at Hill Island Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
On behalf of our hotel staff, I'm writing to let you know how delighted we were
to receive kind words of praise during your stay.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.
Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very
best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our
staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests every night, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all guests at reasonable prices. It's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of our accommodations and services.

Again, we appreciate the kind words. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and look forward to your next visit.
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Had a wonderful time at the resort, very clean, and the staff super helpful and friendly.
I was somewhat leery after reading the reviews on this site, but ignored them as everyone has different standards.
The food was very good and we enjoyed our stay.
It is an older venue, and maybe needs some re-decorating but is very clean. Very close to Gannonoque, and a great value for the price.
We had all our meals for free, and enjoyed the Boat Cruise on a very hot day which was included in our package.
We only bought lunch once after the Boat Cruise in Gannonoque.
We did not know that the hot breakfasts were included in the package price. It states on the dinner menu,the desserts were 3.99 which is a good price, but they are included in the dinner also at no charge.
The waffles at the Breakfast Bar were the best I have ever had at a Breakfast Buffet.
I would reccommend this hotel to anyone!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean A, Front Office Manager at Hill Island Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed one of our most popular package here at Hill Island.

faiz@hillislandresort.com
1-866-659-4459

Been to Hill Island Lodge? Share your experiences!