“A wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Santa Gertrudis
Paris, France
“A wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at San Castre!
It's is a beautiful, well-run and immaculate boutique hotel, where Michi and John made us feel so welcome that we immediatly felt at home.
The hotel has a great location, Ibiza town and the night life is a close drive away, and the hotel is centraly located so that we could easily explore the rest of the island and the beaches.
The food is amazing: a huge brunch is served every morning for as late as guests arrive. We had dinner in the hotel one evening, not only was it delicious, with fresh products from the island, but the atmosphere, being outdoors, next to the pool, with candelights was fantastic and very relaxing.
Lastly, the hosts, Michi and John are wonderful. They are so charming and welcoming, they made everything easy for us, and made us feel as friends.
I have already been in other agrotourismo in Ibiza, and Can Sastre is by far my favorite.It was a fantastic experience and we're looking forward to coming back soon !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Can Sastre is a small piece of heaven. I am a little biased as we chose it for our wedding - but we chose it because of the special nature of the property and the lovely owners Micky and John. The grounds are gorgeous, especially the orange orchard and you feel so relaxed being there. It's a great location being so close to ibiza town and easy to dip in and out of the bar/restaurant scene that the island offers. On our first visit I thought the rooms were perhaps a bit overpriced but you are paying for the wonderful hospitality and beautiful setting - it's worth it.

Ps - the dogs are very cute.

Room Tip: The villa is great for families and the 'superior' is my favourite room for a couple.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Can Sastre is the best accommodation that I have ever experienced, despite having stayed at a wide variety of accommodation for both personal and professional travel. It is perfect for couples or families who are looking for a relaxed place to enjoy the Mediterranean summer, away from the scene by which Ibiza is generally known for.

Can Sastre is an intimate hotel, having only five rooms, each which are separate and spacious. Ours was a double room, with a large bedroom and sitting area, separate lounge room and large bathroom. However, the most impressive aspect for us was the stone walls – a metre thick and able to completely contain the “occasional” ranting of our six week old baby. While the pool is not as large as you often find, it suits the number of guests that will be staying at any one time. Furthermore, since Ibiza has many amazing beaches, we were generally the only ones at the pool, thanks to our new born not quite being up to the beaches. The gardens are beautiful, with hammocks and outdoor couches. While the rooms don’t have bar fridges or televisions, we didn’t find that either was required. Next to the pool is a very well-stocked bar, which never shuts, doing away with the need for the television.

While this is all very nice, there are also other hotels that can offer this experience. The aspect that causes Can Sastre to be unique and a place that we will return to year after year is the amazing hospitality of the owners, John and Michi. I have never experienced anything close to the service and genuine warmth and friendship that was extended to us. Michi is an incredible cook, serving us food throughout the day to suit our fancy. While there is no written menu, the options are endless. Being kept close to home thanks to our bub, John asked us what we would like for dinner each day, and Michi served us a three course dinner each night at any time we requested it. Breakfast and lunch was also anything that we fancied. We were indulged by John’s service, who was constantly serving us drinks and anything else that we wanted. John and Michi even settled our bub on the several occasions that he chose to interrupt a meal, as well as inviting us to join them for drinks. Both have lived on Ibiza for decades, and can make recommendations, provide directions, arrange hire cars, organise taxies or do just about anything else that is requested.

The final account for the food and beverages that we had enjoyed at Can Sastre was extremely reasonable, and much lower than that for any other hotel or restaurant of a similar quality that I have known. John and Michi, together with their two beautiful dogs, cause Can Sastre to be a place that we will return to as many times as possible. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

After spending only a few days away with some friends in Ibiza in June I have become totally hooked on the post party life at Can Sastre.
The hosts John and Michi couldn't have been more accomodating to the three forty something couples that in a fit of madness in dreary December decided to have a few days in Ibiza.
John not only arranged the daytime beach club and night time night club activities, he also made the best Bloody Mary on the island. In combination with the the leisurly breakfast that was served around 11:30 am by Michi was the perfect recipe to recover from the night before.
After we had experienced the Pacha night life we very much enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful gardens and the occaisional plunge in the pool whilst benfitting from the fantastic hospitality offered by this charming couple.
We will be back every year!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I contacted trip advisor's customer service before writing this review since I never made it to the hotel actually. But they said that I can go ahead and write the review in order to help fellow travelers.
I contacted the owner of this hotel, by phone, on a wednesday evening, after reading the reviews on trip advisor. I made a reservation and at the time, he told me that normally he would ask for a deposit but since our arrival date would be 9 days later, he just needed a credit card number. So I gave him the credit card number, and 5 minutes later he sent me an email, telling me that he had charged 30% of our stay, and informing me about car rentals and how to reach the hotel. Nowhere was his cancellation policy written or mentioned as it usually is when a reservation confirmation is sent to a customer.
Less than 40 hours later, on friday afternoon, I called him and told him that we wouldn't go finally, and asked me to refund me the deposit. He accepted to refund me. But then he sent me an email and said that he talked with his wife and that the cancellation policy, listed on their website states that for cancellation in less than 21 days the deposit would be withhold!
I told him that I didn't make the reservation in a time frame longer than 21 days and that anyway I didn't make the reservation through his website and I didn't know this policy. Additionally, he never informed me verbally or written about this policy at the time of reservation. He started quoting the policy only after I called him to cancel!
I have kept all the written communication between us that proves what I am saying and I also asked my lawyer to send him a letter telling him that what he is doing is unethical and unprofessional. But he still refuses to refund me.
I read all the trip advisor reviews about this place but honestly the way this man behaved doesn't reflect what is written.
Beware, do not give your credit card number unless you are absolutely sure you are going. Otherwise you risk to lose a lot of money. And be treated in an appalling way.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kirribilli, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My fiancée and I spent three nights at Can Sastre in the middle of June, and we loved every minute we were there.

John and Michi are the friendliest and most helpful hosts you could ask for. And their affectionate dogs, Spirit and Blue, really make the place feel like home.

Our room was clean and very comfortable; cool during the day and warm at night, thanks to the classic Spanish style construction. And, oh my god, the bath towels smell AMAZING. When we asked Michi what she uses to wash them to get them smelling so nice, she said there's no secret, they just hang dry on a clothesline in the Ibizan sun and air.

In addition to having a very comprehensive bar (a glass of Cava was never far from hand), if you decide to eat dinner at 'home', you're in for a treat. Michi's whole sea bass was delicious, as was each morning's offering of classic Spanish meats, cheeses, toasts, and fruit.

The bottom line: If you're looking for romantic boutique accommodation in Ibiza, you should absolutely stay here!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in the adorable Casita Suite at Can Sastre for 3 nights at the end of May. After a short drive from the airport we were immediately able to chill and make the most of our short break, with wonderful hosts John and Michi available to meet our every need - they even greeted us with a glass of Cava!

Can Sastre was the perfect location to relax away from the hustle and bustle, yet it was only a short drive from some wonderful restaurants, beaches and the old town. John and Michi were able to provide recommendations of where to go and what to see, so we had some great meals out as well as the delicious food provided by Michi. We would definitely recommend Can Sastre, we'll certainly be visiting again soon!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hacienda Na Xamena
Hacienda Na Xamena
#3 of 9 in Port de Sant Miguel
4.0 of 5 stars 387 reviews

Been to Can Sastre? Share your experiences!