“Lovely but a bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawkley Inn

Save Saved
You added Hawkley Inn to your Saves list
Hawkley Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Pococks Lane | Liss, Near Petersfield, Liss GU33 6NE, England   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
london
“Lovely but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

With none of the fuss of a poncey gastro pub, this place has a lovely welcoming feel of a traditional inn. We stumbled across it whilst out walking, tucked away in the pretty and rural village of Hawkley, the pub was a real find. Dog friendly too, which was a nice bonus. We stayed for lunch, and the menu is a good mix of traditional pub fare and more gastro pub style dishes. Generous with their portions, the food is nice, however we both felt the £30 bill for essentially a steak sandwich, mac and cheese, garlic bread and two drinks seemed quite steep for just lunch! It hasn't deterred us from returning though, with such a nice atmosphere and friendly staff, it's a great place to while away an hour or two.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NickTroth, Owner at Hawkley Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are always delighted when our guests take the time to write a review because we really do value the opinions, observations and custom of everyone who frequents our pub. It is great that you and your four legged friend liked the atmosphere and the food and drinks served at The Hawkley Inn and we very much hope you will be back soon.
I am acutely aware of the importance of value for money as in our rural location we are very heavily reliant on the same customers coming back again and again and again. There is a very fine balance that needs to be struck between affordability, the quality and choice of the food and drinks and the profit needed to remain in business. I hope we get this right far more often than not and rest assured we will watch that balance very carefully as there is very little room for error. Once again thank you very much for your very helpful observations, I hope you will be back again and again and again.
Nick

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Perfect pub, great food with an AMAZING Cassoulet. Very friendly, even to our dog and grubby walking boots. We will definitely be back soon to try more of the menu. The only negative is my husband is now in trouble having found this pub last year but kept is a secret from me until now

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over on business. Rooms spacious, clean and extremely well decorated.
Great welcome on arrival - the host really cannot do enough for you.
Menu is first class - I had the cassoulet followed by bread and butter pudding. Food very well presented and delicious.
Extras such a free wi-fi and even a wee dram of whiskey in the room just added to the experience.
Will definitely return - highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We have just been for Saturday lunch. The location is deepest countryside minutes from Liss, and the ambience once inside is so relaxed that all the tables were talking to each other. The pub is very dog friendly, and the staff are totally natural and charming. As for the food! Generous portions; my husband had the cassoulet which was supreme, and I asked for a great big ham salad - heavy on the salad - which wasn't on the menu, and they presented me with just that. I had a doggy bag for half the ham for my husband's supper tonight. The ham was the best ever. There is so much healthy, good food on the menu and so reasonably priced, that I cannot recommend this pub highly enough.

• Stayed March 2013
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March and I'm so glad I did.
Set in a quiet lane and surrounded by lovely countryside. I chose this pub as I like to stay in independant hotels, rather than the huge faceless chains.
I was met with a hearty handshake from the owner and shown straight to my room. I was immediately given all the information I'd need for my stay.
The rooms are immaculately decorated and give this accomodation a true mix of old and new. Often when staying in old buildings, the rooms are just made do, with rickety doors, uneven floors, odd furniture etc.
The room I stayed in had good quality fitting doors, solid tasteful furniture and a bathroom done to an excellent standard. The bed was extremely comfortable, with a fantastic quilt and pillows. Fresh linen and towels, toiletries, tea, coffee including a proper coffee maker. All the usual freeview channels complete what you need for a comfortable stay.
The view from my room (Cowes) was into fields, but due to the lack of streetlights gives fantastic views of the sky at night!

The bar was quite busy, mostly with diners and there was a pleasant atmosphere with all the chatting voices. There was a good selection of guest ales and unusually five hand pulled ciders as well!
I ordered my food, taking the advice of a couple sat at the bar and had to choose wisely as they couldn't agree on what was the nicest between what they had eaten.
With a real log fire roaring in the corner of the bar, I was treat to some truly fantastic food. Settling for bread and olives, with fresh crusty bread to start, then a French cassoulet of pork belly, chicken, smoked sausage, chorizo and four types of beans! It's a good job it was served with garlic bread to wipe the huge pot clean.

Beakfast was cooked to order and was piping hot, tasty and fresh.
I was truly made to feel valued as a customer, something which has become lacking in the larger hotels and chains.

If you're local, take a trip out one evening and enjoy the food and atmosphere.
If you're travelling, take the extra 5 minutes out to get here for a comfortable and peaceful stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in 'Cowes' and it is excellent. Looking at the photographs, they're all done to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cannes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I can only echo the positive comments & high praise already given in the majority of reviews. Lovely rural/quiet location. Very comfortable, clean room (Goodwood) with high quality bed & bedding.....loved the whiskey too!
Typical gastropub food.....we had the liver/bacon & the roasted butternut squash.....2 excellent meals, no complaints.
Breakfast of same high standard.
We would happily return. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
NickTroth, Owner at Hawkley Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed what we do. I do hope we will see you again soon and thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed for one night, staff could not be more accommodating, the food was excellent as was the choice of real beers. Room was spacious very clean and had everything that could be needed. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NickTroth, Owner at Hawkley Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We very much enjoy doing what we do at the Hawkley Inn and we never tire of hearing about people who like it. We hope you will be back again very soon.

Been to Hawkley Inn? Share your experiences!