“So glad I don't stay closer!” 5 of 5 stars

The Jolly Drover
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   London Road, Liss GU33 7QL, England   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Liss B&B and Inns
North Devon, UK
“So glad I don't stay closer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

If I stayed closer, I'd never be away from the place!

Three of us were working in Petersfield, and like another reviewer, had absolutely no wish to stay in one of the ubiquitous plastic 'chain' hotels.

What a delight it turned out to be. From arrival right through to our departure, everything was spot-on. The food was superb, with a very comprehensive and tempting menu. This is many establishments downfalls, in that they have huge menus, and struggle to follow through with quality on the table. Not here! The quality shone through. There was an excellent choice of beers, (all cellared beautifully), a good affordable wine list with plenty of choice for every taste. Breakfast was lovely, but I could have killed some yoghurt or fruit. I admit I didn't ask if there was any, and I'm sure some would have appeared by magic had I done so, but where would I have put it after the great full English?

My room was spotless, and cosy (once I turned the heating on), and the shower was one of the best I have come across in years. Divine bed, with an amazing duvet... I could just go on and on.

I ought to move home nearer, I suppose, but that's perhaps a little hasty...... I'll settle on staying whenever I'm nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
My thanks to you for such a detailed excellent review. I am sorry you didn't request yoghurt or fresh fruit as we did have those products in stock. As a 'top contributor' your views are held with high esteem,so again I offer my thanks. I look very much to your next visit.

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed at The Jolly Drover on 12/11/2013 while on business in the area. The check in was great, room very clean and maintained to a very good standard.

The pub is a quirky little place with a fantastic menu, the food was swerved quickly and was all very tasty. Barry & Anne's breakfast service was perfect. I also enjoyed the way they go about their business, polite, professional and fun. The waitress that served me in the evening was brilliant.

As someone who stays away on business 2-3 nights per week I usually stay in chain hotels like the hilton or novotel but decided to take a risk as I see it and book somewhere smaller. Very glad I did and I will 100% return if I am in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Sir, please accept my gratitude for your super review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our way of business. It is easy to train staff and management, however impossible to give them a personality and good looks of which they have in abundance. I do hope you visit the area again soonest.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had only 4 days in UK. Heathrow -Liss-Heathrow. Most comfortable room, a FABULOUS shower, (after 3 weeks of awful showers in Ireland) and excellent, plentiful food. I enjoyed mingling with the locals who came to eat and socialise in the old pub atmosphere. I found the staff friendly and helpful in all matters especially local know how. Host Barry even drove me to the railway station for my return journey.
I was in Liss on a family matter and the Jolly Drover was a congenial and supportive backdrop for a most successful visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Many thanks Kate for the lovely words. It was a pleasure meeting you and a joy taking you to the train station,its my new part time job, don't you know! Your generous gratuity was very well received by my team. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I very good stayed at the Jolly Drover last weekend as I was attending a wedding nearby. The landlord was welcoming attentive and delivered good service both in the restaurant the bar and the accommodation. THe food chosen from a wide menu was very good as was the beer. The accommodation was clean with excellent facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
The title of your review expresses our ethos perfectly. Sir, I thank you for your excellent review.
Cowra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Drove from Heathrow after a long haul flight. Welcomed by all staff even though we arrived early.
Everyone at the Inn was helpful and friendly. Rooms and bar area finished to a high standard. Meal in the pub was excellent. Breakfast was also great. We can highly recommend the Jolly Drover in all aspects of service and comfort. Ideally situated for visits to Roman Palace at Fishbourne,Butser Ancient Farm, Gilbert White's house and Jane Austen's Chawton. Hard working hosts and staff who take pride in the property and the service they provide.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
You said you would and you certinally did, thank you for a super review. I am sure your tour of our humble country will be as enjoyable as your stay with us. I also thank you for drawing my attention to the leak in the shower room, all fixed now. We were so sorry to be unable to house you on your return from Dorchester. May we wish you a safe and pleasant journey back to Austrialia.
ELIB1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Thanks again Barry. Fantastic pub, beautiful homemade food, accommodation perfect with large showers. Staff were friendly helpful and informative. Thanks for my Bacon butties in the morning as I was leaving too early for breakfast. I really can't fault it & perfect for visiting Goodwood (20 mins away).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you Sir for your excellent review. Of course, of all the meals you ate over the three days your final full English breakfast, cooked by me, was the best!
We all look forward to meeting you some time in the future.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding that took place under a mile away. I was very late and having changed in my clean and modern room I was helped with directions by the staff on duty.
The stay was comfortable and in the morning our cars that had been left at the venue over night needed to be collected. Quick as a flash the landlord himself scooped us up and took us down the road, free of charge and with a smile.
I cannot recommend this place more highly for a comfortable and friendly stay.
Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Coeish, Owner at The Jolly Drover, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
It was a pleasure meeting you and your friends. I really appreciate you making the effort to send in a great review. My new part time employment as a taxi driver is going well!

Been to The Jolly Drover? Share your experiences!