“Bitterly disappointing, delusions of grandeur!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Bitterly disappointing, delusions of grandeur!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2015

My husband and I stayed and dined here for our 15th anniversary. Having stayed and dined in a number of similarly rated establishments in the area we were expecting something special.
Check-in: Although we'd prepaid for accommodation, dinner and breakfast with what I thought was a great deal on LivingSocial, we were chased up to our room to request the voucher and a credit card for any extras, this should have been requested at the reception desk, by chasing guests you automatically infer a mistrust!
Rooms: The 'cosy' rooms are very small with seemingly little attention to detail, i.e. no plug or light near dressing table, word work not painted in areas which aren't fully on show, very average old white tiled and small bathroom with scruffy mastic hanging.
We did look at a couple of the larger rooms which were being cleaned and whilst they were spacious, they still lacked the appearance that you'd expect from reading the website.
Bar: Certainly not comfortable seating, if you think you'll relax in a sumptuous sofa or armchair after dinner think again. I agree it's lovely to have a few modern quirky pieces but they should be Cleverley integrated amongst more comfortable furniture. The cocktails were superb, there was an extensive menu of which some, not all, of the staff were knowledgeable.
Dinner: Absolutely appalling, can honestly say the second worst meal compared to expectations ever! Cold, dry, tasteless scallops for starters and similarly for the dover sole with a pork crackling dust, except this was void of any moisture whatsoever, the bread was rock hard and was returned to the kitchen twice. All of these issues were pointed out to the embarrassed waitress who confirmed it didn't 'look right'.
Management: We weren't asked if everything was alright with our stay on departure but I thought it only fair to bring to the attention of the management, thus giving them the opportunity to appease us. How very wrong I was, when I pointed the shortfalls out to the owner/manager he replied that he had to totally disagree and that he had in fact been in the kitchen the night before when the bread was returned, which apparently broke open the soft rolls with great ease, this could only have been done with a sharp implement and why on earth didn't he come in to the dining room to check if everything was ok the evening before! Once I realised the complete apathy I requested that we be allowed to settle our extra's bill as quickly as possible as we wished to get out of Hammet House as fast as possible!
I've read a number of good reviews about Hammet House on here, perhaps we were just VERY UNLUCKY, I've also read some not so shining and personally if you're looking to spend a similar amount of money in a fabulous place not far from Hammet House, I'd recommend The Grove in Narbeth or the Corran Resort in Laughrne, both have fabulously individual accommodation and exceptional restaurants!

• Visited September 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Nottingham
“House menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2015

Chef off sick whilst we were there, but the house menu in the bar was excellent - Tuna was especially good. Meals not too large and balanced

Visited April 2015
usk
“Wonderful restaurant and bar menu alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

Stayed for two nights. Ate in the restaurant one night and in the bar on the other. Both fantastic meals. Would certainly recommend eating here.

Visited March 2015
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Absolutely stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2015

We had the chefs special menu which was a 5 course meal (3 courses plus palette cleanser and pre starter). It was outstanding. I had the scallop and black pudding starter and the saddle of rabbit which was one of the best main meals I have ever tasted. The cheese board was exceptional with a choice of 5 or 8 cheeses. The wine list was extensive and we chose a very nice US Zinfandel. Highly recommended.

Cardigan, United Kingdom
“February's lunch date”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2015 via mobile

Fabulous lunch date with hubby, although the only ones there that didn't spoil the atmosphere, very friendly and welcoming. Fabulous, delicious food, beautifully presented, really love what has been done with decor and very excited to be returning this Saturday for our Valentine evening date night

• Visited January 2015