“Great Atmosphere and Good Food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Plymouth, UK.
“Great Atmosphere and Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I first ate here twenty two years ago and then for many years after. I knew that the landlord of those days had long gone and wondered what it would be like now. Originaly they did good quality above average pub fare and speciality pies. Dragon pie was chicken with chilli and the Billingsgate pie was fish. Well the pies are long gone but the place its self hasn't changed one bit. The food is different know, made to appeal to a different generation but it is very good. The staff are very friendly too. I had whitebait and I'm sorry to say that it beats the offerings that I have had in many Devon Inns where I live. It was lunch and I had the chicken, bacon and cheese baguette with bbq sauce. A nice quality salad garnish accompanied it. My son in law had one of the speciality burgers and he rated it highly. We would have liked to have eaten there on Saturday night but they where full. There was a sea food platter on offer and I would have loved to have tried that. The Dragon pie may have gone but whats took its place more than compensates. I will come back to this great little character pub in a very nice village.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
Bracknell
“Unpretentious but tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The menu is more varied than you would expect from a pub, and the food is of better quality. The burgers we had were meaty and generous and seemingly not just out of a packet. Good food at reasonable value.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, England, United Kingdom
“Hungry swimmers well satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

16 of us (three more than booked) rocked up to the George & Dragon last Saturday having just swum 4km. It isn't the prettiest of the pubs in the village maybe, but we couldn't have been more satisfied. The very jolly barman didn't let up being courteous, engaging and, well, nice, despite having to deal with ten tabs. The food was great. Honestly, the burger I had was probably the best I've ever had, and I've paid a tenner for all manner of shocking and wonderful burgers. A fresh fish van pulled up while we were there too, and good well kept beer for a Green King pub too. A real find.

• Visited May 2012
Didcot, United Kingdom
“A real find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

EXCELLENT food that you don't expect from the outside , pretty but looks nothing special from the outside , Very helpful and friendly staff that managed to fit us in after a busy sunday lunch time . The menu looked interesting and I knew that someone in the kitchen knew what he/she was doing . I wasn't disappointed , it was freshly cooked with good ingredients, good presentation .
I can't wait to find an excuse to go back ...highly recommended :-)

• Visited February 2012
Wallingford, England, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Hi. When to the George and Dragon on Sunday the 8th Jan 2012. Just wanted to say how much we enjoyed our meal. There was three in our party. We had, two roast Chickens and one belly of pork. The food was very very tasty. we are still talking about it three days later. Only down side for us on that day was, the food took a bit of time to arrive, but that was because of a large party in the other room. Will go again.

• Visited January 2012