“Don't Stay Anywhere Else!” 5 of 5 stars

Via del Giglio, 35 | Chianti, 5200 San Donato in Poggio, Italy   |
Special Rate
€60 (EUR)
Reno, Nevada
“Don't Stay Anywhere Else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This B&B is, by far, the best place I've ever stayed. Not only is it a beautiful, 17th Century updated palazzo, but the owner adds to your vacation with gracious hospitality and attention to detail. Every day, she chats with her guests, checking to make sure they are going to worthwhile locations, that they have directions to get there, and to give any other insider info she has about the location. That attention alone is worth the stay, but the food, hospitality and accomodations are top notch as well. You get the wonder of staying in an old, well preserved building, but with all the modern conveniences of updated plumbing (we had a jacuzzi tub in our room). It is centrally located in the Chianti region, so it was a perfect location to visit Sienna, Florence and Pisa, all as day trips. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip to Tuscany.

Room Tip: We choose the room with the jacuzzi, but another couple staying at the same time as us choose the ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Carol,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
Your opinion about your stay fill me of positiveness.
I try to do all my best to guarantee a great experience to my guests, so at breakfast I usually suggest some tips about possible itineraries to do all around the Chianti area, where we are located. As you know, the B&B was born in the original Palazzo belonged to my family from the XIX century and I preserved and valorize the majority of the original features.
I'm so glad that you appreciated that!

I await you with pleasure for your next stay in Tuscany!

Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We have just returned from one week at Maria's Palazzo Malaspina in the tiny hamlet of San Donato in Poggio. Although we arrived late in the evening, Maria greeted us with a smile and directed us to an excellent pizzeria for dinner that evening. We stayed in room #3 the first four nights; it was a spacious room with a large bathroom and jacuzzi tub. We then moved to room #2, which was slightly smaller, but had a lovely balcony with stunning views of the Tuscan countryside. Every morning we would awaken to the aroma of freshly brewed coffee made by Mary (Maria's assistant) and Maria's freshly baked cakes or pastries. There was a selection of fresh cut fruit, cheese, meats, yogurt, granola, croissants, and made to order eggs every morning. A communal table allowed us to eat breakfast and talk with fellow tourists about our day. Maria was available every morning for questions and directions to various villages that we would want to visit for the day. San Donato in Poggio is centrally located in the Chianti region with easy access to Florence, San Gimignano, Siena, and Montelcino. Although San Donato is small, there were excellent restaurants; in the alley was a restaurant that we returned to twice as the food was excellent! If you want the experience of a small village with amazing Italian hospitality, this is the place to stay. We will return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
I'm so glad to know from your lines that you appreciated your stay and the magical atmosphere of the Chianti countryside.

I hope to see you again next time in Tuscany!
Best regards,
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

A wonderfully tranquil location with fantastic views over the countryside. Is it comfortable? Our normal sleep pattern is 7 hours. We managed 11 hours whilst staying here. So yes, it's comfortable.
Breakfast is a generally communal affair with guests all sitting at a huge table in the dining room. This is common practice in Italian B&Bs. There's a reasonable selection of meats, cheeses, cake and pastry plus the all important freshly made coffee.
The building is about a million years old and is maintained largely in keeping with the original style. This is good as it retains the charm that only old buildings can provide, but it does mean that there is no lift. Access to the rooms is via two flights of stairs. This was no problem to us, but take heed if you have mobility difficulties.
A car is a must if staying here, though there are one or two things within walking distance: Casa Ema winery, museum, bars and restaurants.
There's also a cash point within walking distance, which is handy as only cash payments are accepted.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PalazzoMalaspina, Proprietario at Palazzo Malaspina, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your interest in my B&B and I thank you for sharing your experience with the community of Tripadvisor.
Your stay at Palazzo Malaspina has facilitate your sleep and relax yourself. That's what I hope for my guests!

I have no lift because of the difficulty related to the structural works I can't made in the Palazzo :)

I hope to see you again next time in Tuscany,
New London, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

After four nights in exhilarating but exhausting Rome, what a pleasure it was to arrive in San Donato in Poggio and decompress at Palazzo Malaspina! We were shown to our room, which was spacious and elegant with two large windows, one of which overlooked a small town square. We walked around the town, soaking in the beauty of the architecture, gardens and window boxes in full bloom. During our subsequent 7 days here, we found it to be ideally located for our visits to Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Florence and Castellini. We felt very much at home in this village and quickly absorbed its daily rhythms.

The large breakfast room was a pleasant meeting place each morning to chat with other guests and especially to check in with the owner, Maria, for questions and advice, and Mary who oversaw breakfast and preparation of the most delicious capuccino's. Maria's homemade cakes were always something to look forward to, along with her delicious marmalades/jams to accompany the generous spread of different cheeses, meats, and breads. There was always a bowl of freshly cut fruit, delicious yogurt and granola available as well. Mary's made-to-order eggs were uniformly delicious. She was very kind and always took good care of all guests, including making requested dinner reservations.

Maria is the heart of Palazzo Malaspina and the epitome of service and generosity. We had a situation arise while we were there that required some rapid and timely faxing of documents back to the US. She asked, "How can I help you?" and ensured we managed the situation appropriately. All of her communication ahead of our visit was marked by grace notes of kindness.

We have read a few other reviews that commented on the fact that Maria isn't available a lot of the time. While it is true that there isn't full-time concierge service here, Palazzo Malaspina is perfect for travelers who appreciate the right balance between privacy and accessibility, and who are also reasonably resourceful. Whenever we needed her advice or suggestions, she was spot on. We always felt we were in good hands, and would return to Palazzo Malaspina in a heart beat!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #5 which has a large bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for telling your detailed experience at Palazzo Malaspina.
I'm so glad to hear your satisfaction about your stay!

I hope you will come back soon to relive the best of my land and make new experiences!

Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights at this beautiful B&B and the service was exceptional. Every morning homemade cake was served, which was delicious. The breakfast in General was great with fresh fruit salad and eggs to order. Maria also helped every morning with great tips for our day trips. The room was always very clean and even our freshly washed clothes were folded, when we spread them over the room to dry.
In the end my husband forgot his jacket in the wardrobe and Maria kindly sent it to us the next day without extra charge.
It was just a perfect stay for our honeymoon and we would highly recommend it. The service is exceptional and it is perfectly located for day trips around Tuscany.

Dear Fran,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
I particularly took care of your stay because of your wonderful honeymoon. That's my passion to welcome guests all over the world, and I try to do all my best for that!

I hope you enjoyed all the places you visited in Tuscany during your stay!

Best Regards,
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My friend and I were lucky enough to happen upon a recommendation for Palazzo Malaspina, and we booked a room there for our entire stay in Tuscany (a week). Not only is San Donato in Poggio ideally located if you're driving around the area, but the accommodations were simply wonderful. The room was lovely. The bathroom (with jacuzzi tub!) was spacious and SO nice. The breakfast was delicious. On top of that, both Maria and Mary took such good care of us. Maria always checked in with us and gave us the best advice for where to go on a daily basis, including where to eat. Mary was ready with our specific coffee orders every morning and made sure our room was clean every day we came home. On top of that, when I had wet clothes sitting out on my suitcase, she took them and made sure they dried, then returned them folded. AMAZING hospitality. Best place to stay, and I will definitely return whenever I go to Tuscany and recommend it to anyone who goes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Valery,

Oh wow! Thank you for writing these lovely lines about your experience at Palazzo Malaspina!
I really appreciate your opinion and I'm so glad of your satisfaction about your stay.

I hope to see again next time in Tuscany, there are a lor of sweet things you have yet to try for breakfast! ;)

Rockwall, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

San Donato in Poggio is a quiet, quaint town in the middle of the Tuscany wine region (Chianti Classico). The old town is charming and has a handful of great restaurants/pizzerias. Palazzo Malaspina was a real find! It's a great place to stay. Maria is the owner (with her husband) and does a great job with the place. The room my wife and I stayed in was wonderful and had a great bathroom. The was even a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room when we arrived! I'd recommend this place to anyone! From here you can take easy day trips to San Gimignano and Sienna and tour the wine country.

Room Tip: Ask for the room overlooking the piazza and pizzeria. This room has a Jacuzzi.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Philip,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Palazzo Malaspina.
I try to do all my best to guarantee quiet and a great service to my guests with the precious help of my husband and Mary.
We are in Chianti, in a medieval village very centrally located to move rapidly in all surrounded areas like Florence, Siena or San Gimignano.
It's my pleasure to welcome my guests with a bottle of Chianti in the land of wine.

I hope to see you angain next time in Tuscany,

Maria.

Been to Palazzo Malaspina? Share your experiences!