“Good Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rafter Six Ranch Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exshaw
Rafter Six Ranch Resort
You added Rafter Six Ranch Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   81130 South Ranch Road East | P.O. Box 100, Exshaw, Alberta T0L 2C0, Canada   |
UK
“Good Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

A friendly, family run hotel. We visited with two teenage children who enjoyed the experience. We stayed in the main lodge, a family room. I wasn't impressed, a small, dirty, bad quality room with a tiny, smelly bathroom. We had to share beds because the hotel failed to take in our request. The food was average, but well served with a good breakfast. The atmosphere in the hotel was great, with the friendly hotel dogs and gorgeous minituare horses wandering around the site wanting to be stroked. You could go for a ride at the stables or just go to see the horses. There was a tiny pool too in the middle of the site which wasn't the best location... There wasn't really anywhere to sit on the site either. Service and friendlyness was outstanding though! We did do a White water rafting activity while we were there, which was fabulous. It was a friendly, safe excursion with a company that comes to the hotel. A really good, fun, safe experience. You felt very safe with the instructors especially as one of the children felt quite unsure but as she started she loved it. A good level for beginners, and people of any age. Overall- it was a nice experience with a few faults, the room was the main issue. I recommend it if you like a bit of 'rough and ready!' Enjoy!

Room Tip: An individual cabin on the property. Do not go for the main lodge if you are a family.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Strathmore, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Sure, the scenery is breathtaking, but don't forget your wallet while you're staring at the mountains, cause it's not free...

We merely camped there one night, there are zero amenities (except for the toilet in the restaurant), no power or water for your camper, but hey, it's worth it right? You get to camp at a REAL ranch...I get goosebumps thinking about it! How privileged we must be!

My family of four decided to take in the breakfast brunch, at $17/each. I was expecting a great spread, but all that was available was your standard bacon, eggs, sausage, spuds and pancakes, some canned fruit, yogurt, frozen concentrated orange juice and watered down coffee. All for $17 each, what a bargain! For that money they could have at least offered real maple syrup for the pancakes, but no it's the cheap 'traditional' crap. I've taken in free Calgary Stampede breakfasts that were much better...

Meh...I'll be back for a wedding in the future, but I'll eat my own food and drink my own beer (they sell a 16oz pint for $7.75 in their lounge, don't forget to tip!).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Exshaw hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went here for a wedding and it was terrible. They forget about the wedding.. Twice! We paid $320 for the "superior lodge room", superior was the opposite of what it was. The sink was plugged when we got In..The bathroom stunk sooooo bad! And, the room was so small.. Was supposed to sleep 6.. Could barely fit four. I will never ever even thInk about going back got his place. Your. Not even allowed to bring your own bottled water to your room, never mind alcohol or food. You are forced to pay $7 for a drink there. When we checked out they didn't thank us, or ask us how our stay is.. Most likely because they know darn well that it's was brutal.
STEER CLEAR OF RAFTER SIX RANCH! Go stay at Stoney nakoda!

• Stayed July 2012
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This past weekend my Husband and I did the 2 hour ropes course and 2 hour Ride at Rafter Six and it was a Fantastic day and a memory that we will cherish forever. We thought that the guides for the Ropes were very knowledgeable and gave us a great experience, it didn't feel as though they had done the course a thousand times, it was as though they were going through it for the first time just like us. We were in the same group as a corporate team and we didn't feel like they were favoured because there was more of them. I really liked that. It was the right amount of difficulty and fun and facing your fears as well as a team building excerise for my Husband and I. We really encouraged each other and I think it brought us closer together.

When we were finished the Ropes course we had the Six Shooter buffet. It came with a 6 oz steak and it was all you could eat, I think my husband had 3 total! He was very happy. The food was great and the chef was accomodating to my celiac requests.

Following lunch was the Ride. It was a 2 hour horseback ride through the beautiful country side with very knowledgeable staff. I have never been horseback riding before and I felt safe and comfortable and enjoyed every minute of it. The best part was when we trotted. It was really fun!

I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to experience a very special day with family, friends, or Corporate Team building.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Had a gift certificate for two for Sunday brunch & 1 hour trail ride so we decide to add one more and head out for a family day. The brunch was excellent fresh quality food, served hot and plentiful. Highlights were the roast turkey and a great mesquite smoked brisket with a superb homemade rub. Slow smoked for 10 hours it had a prominent smoke ring and was extremely flavorful. The only drawback was the servers in the dining room seemed a little unorganized and we had to chase them down for coffee refills.

After our brunch we headed out for a one hour trail ride to introduce our son to horseback riding. Great guide in Dustin as he provided good commentary and was a very engaging personality. All in all a great family day, just guess the girls in the dining room should spend more time concentrating on the customers than chatting up the young guys in the lounge

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mackay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

This was a fantastic way to start our trip through the Rockies. Rooms do lack tv and phone, but that's not why we are here. The room was cosy and the bed comfortable. All staff we dealt with were an absolute delight, even tough the season is young and they were all fairly new. Horse riding was fantastic, and of the six meals we ate there - all were great. Friendly relaxing atmosphere - wildlife everywhere. WiFi is available on request.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I found the price that we paid for our "rustic" room in the main lodge was a little overpriced seeing how we didn't have anything other than the bare necessities (as in a bathroom, beds..) There are no TV's and no phones in the rooms. That isn't really an issue seeing how they do mention that when the reservation was made, however I did feel that the price was a little much for what you get.

The best part of the trip was sitting out on the little balcony to our room. We could hear nothing but the horses. Totally peaceful and relaxing. No traffic, no anything. It was truly wonderful! The staff were great. There is a pub/restuarant on site which is nice for ranch style food.

The scenery is amazing!! If anything, you pay for the scenery and the fact that it's away from everything. Canmore is a short drive away, but far enough to get away from the hustle & bustle.

Room Tip: Remember that this is "rustic". There are no TV's or phones in the rooms. Plus is that...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rafter Six Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!